525 at The Berry Burk

Tags: American, Reservations, Dinner, and Delivery
  • 1 dish entered by diners at 525 at The Berry Burk

Reviews for 525 at The Berry Burk

525 at The Berry Burk

The worst lunch service in Richmond

I and two of my co-workers went here for lunch this afternoon (12/14/2012). The restaurant has no blinds or window treatments, leaving its mid-day patrons exposed to the to the blinding rays of the low winter sun. We were deposited at a window table, where we couldn’t even raise our eyes to each other during our conversation. The glare off the tablecloth made even reading the menus painful.

The hostess filled our water glasses and abandoned us to our clueless server. He came and took our drink order—I made the mistake of ordering an iced tea while my companions were content with the water. He brought my drink and informed us of soup of the day. He then ignored us for more than 30 minutes while he served other tables across the restaurant. Meanwhile, the party of two who arrived after us were seated at a neighboring table (but mercifully for them, apparently in another server’s section). As we waited, they ordered and received their starters and entrees.

Disgusted, we rose to leave. I informed the hostess that we had waited over half an hour and our order hadn’t even been taken. I handed her a $5 bill to cover my tea, which she accepted. She held it dumbly in her hand as our party put on our coats. Then I asked her for my change. She replied that they had no money at the hostess stand; if I wanted my change, I’D HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE SERVER! She didn’t offer to take it to the bar. She didn’t offer to comp the tea and give the $5 back.

I told her I’d already waited for the server; I’d waited 30 minutes and I wasn’t waiting anymore. I told her we were leaving but that it wouldn’t be the last time I discussed my experience at 525 At the Berry Burk. So, as promised, I’m sharing it with everyone I can. Be warned that the service here is atrocious. If you work downtown, as I do, you’d better arrive with more than an hour for lunch. And stay away from the iced tea—at $5 a glass, it’s expensive.

Iced tea