562-437-4837

204 Orange Ave ( )

Long Beach, CA 90802-3567

Neighborhoods: Downtown Long Beach

Description: at last cafe is a American restaurant where most Menuism users came for a business meeting and paid between $10 and $25.
Tags: Bad Service, FRAUD, American, Takeout, At Last Cafe, John McLaughlin, and Long Beach
  • 3 dishes entered by diners at at last cafe
  • 1 user wants to eat at at last cafe

Reviews for at last cafe

Editorial Review by Gayot »

at last cafe

DO NOT EAT AT THIS FILTHY RESTAURANT!

What I experienced just now in their restaurant I have never even witnessed in my 35 years of living in Southern California.

Upon walking in I was told to sit anywhere that’s clean. I understand that they didn’t have a hostess but to be told to by Cesar the waiter to sit anywhere that’s clean, means that you could care less where I sit. Once I sit I ordered a lemonade but switched to Orangade by the waiters recommendation. I was brought a lemonade. That’s OK. Then when our food came one of the plates had a hair in it. Its OK just take it away. But as they take the plate, me and my guest notice that Claudia the salad prep is denying the fact that its a hair and is calling it a cucumber vein. Meanwhile she is not wearing gloves or a hair net. They have an open kitchen so Claudia the salad prep keeps on giving our table and my guest dirty looks. Very disrespectful for simple lunch guests. I was on a business lunch with an up and coming jewelery designer. Simple business lunch. Food is not even the objective. Business was our objective.

Then as I’m finishing my meal I pull a six inch black hair out of my mouth. OUT OF MY MOUTH!!! I tell the waiter and within seconds my table is being bombarded by menacing staff acting aggressively towards us. So without a gripe or demand I asked for my check, paid it and walked out the door. As I was in front of the restaurant talking to a girl who lives in my building, the bigot owner and head chef John McLaughlin stormed out the back door and yellled loudly in the street for me and my guests to “go do drugs or something”, when we are all drug free, in front of my neighbor to witness. Then he hastily and angrily approached us and had to be held back by Cesar his waiter.

It was literally so offensive to us that it felt like something out of a civil rights movement and then, to actually have to pay for it. I have never been treated as poorly as i was by any restaurant or any business ever in my life and by the staff at the At Last Cafe. It was literally something out of a redneck movie from the 50’s. DO NOT AT HERE!!!! THEY ARE BIGOTS AND HORRIBLE SERVICE PEOPLE!!!!

mac & cheese

This place rips you off

This place rips off customers and even if they serve good food, it is not worth it if you are concerned with proper service.
This restuarant offered gift certificates, and even though in the State of California has no expiration for gift certificates, this place no longer accepts them. I bought mine less than 9 months ago, so it is not like they are old, it is just this place regularly issues certificates and then blindly invalidates them once enough are purchased.
It has happened before, and it will happen again, there are better home cooking places in the area, and ones that do not steal from customers.

4.0

a classy neighborhood cafe

at last cafe is what a neighborhood cafe should be—fresh, delicious and affordable, and for now is my new favorite in the hood resto. it’s a cute little place, and the emphasis is on “little”, which means that if it continues to be popular, take heed and make reservations. we came for lunch on a saturday, and though it wasn’t bustling, the majority of the tables were filled up from just two parties. if you’re lucky enough to live in the hood, definitely ride your bike or walk as parking can be difficult at times.

everything on the menu looked and tasted good. for those who may be in a hurry, i warn that it can seem a little leisurely because the chef is cooking by himself, and there was only one waitperson when we were there, waiting on everyone, but we were fine. service was responsive and friendly. we’re definitely going to return and try all the things on the menu.

roasted artichokes

it was done well, with a little red pepper sauce and sprinkled with parmesan.

arugula salad

tasting like it was picked fresh from a garden. some of the stalks were a bit thick, but it was nice and peppery with some bitterness, shredded cheese & homemade croutons. i quite enjoyed it, although some people may not like bitter greens.

mac & cheese

the mac and cheese is simple and delicious. a good balance of cheese and cream with some contrasting texture from the breadcrumbs, it is a comfort food done well. it’s probably not the healthiest thing, but somehow it tastes like it’s good for you!

at last cafe is located near the cities of Long Beach Lakewood and Signal Hill.
People found this by searching for: At Last Cafe Menu Long Beach, At Last Cafe Long Beach, At Last Cafe Long Beach Menu, Last Chance Cafe Long Beach, At Last Cafe In Long Beach Ca., At Last Cafe Long Beach Ca, At Last Cafe Belmont Shores Ca, At Last Cafe Menu, and At Last Cafe.

Dragon Cafe