Call 845 Hornby St

JacobUng photo

JacobUng

Richmond, BC
Bacchus Restaurant & Lounge 5.0

This award winning French restaurant is located in the We...

This award winning French restaurant is located in the Wedgewood Hotel (which I used to work at a long time ago) in the heart of downtown Vancouver. The is the restaurant that is not only known for its excellent food and service but the richly decorated dining environment. The excellent food is available with an extensive selection of wines from the world’s best vineyards.

Bacchus Restaurant & Lounge 4.0

The restaurant is beautiful. Dinner is great. The Sat a...

The restaurant is beautiful. Dinner is great. The Sat afternoon tea is also good.

Bacchus Restaurant & Lounge 3.0

Note that this review covers the Bacchus Piano...

Note that this review covers the Bacchus Piano Lounge.

I begrudging give it 3 stars due to Eating not allowing 1/2 stars, but my true rating stands at 2 1/2.

We came to Bacchus Piano Lounge to unwind after a hearty dinner in Gastown. The room wasn’t terribly busy tonight as it was a weekday, raining, and a Canucks game was on. Though the bar offers a TV, this isn’t the type of place to attract a particularly interconnecting market. Good for us.

We found a nice table right by the fire and window, and began perusing the menu. It’s quite the satisfying selection for a lounge – plenty for everyone. Sadly I was in the mood for some cake and there was none to be found. Sure they had a lava cake and a cheesecake, but I was aiming for some more traditional French patisserie classics considering the lounge was attached to one of the best French restaurants in the city. Ca cie.

Since I’d already had a creme brulee during dinner – I decided to finally try out this lovely little strategy I’d been dying to try for years — have an appetizer for dessert. They had a fairly godo selection of appetizers and entrees which came as a shock to me considering I’d hear they only served afternoon tea. I ordered a baked goat cheese so the table could share in something, plus a pear green tea.

The pear green tea came in a coffee press, and the leaves were from “T.” The scent and flavour of pear was quite strong, essentially drowning out any essence of green tea – this was more like a fruity herbal tea than anything else. Not my favourite (yes I’m resisting the urge to pun… and it hurts…), but it served its purpose to contrast the goat cheese.

The goat cheese came wrapped with proscuitto, a side of red onion marmalade, a drizzle of vibrant green basil pesto and warmed baguette slices. The proscuitto was absolutely forgettable. Stringy and tough… and just seemingly unnecessary as it just added more salt to the proceedings. The goat cheese was fairly strong, but nicely flavoured. A wee too salty for my tastes. The onions were tasteless… or just completely overpowered by the goat cheese. The entire platter was just okay… a disappointment, but not a failure. Certainly more fairly priced at $14 than their desserts ($11!!!).

Now the atmosphere and seats were very comfortable and we had a nice rolling conversation going between the four of us. Then the “piano” portion of the Piano Lounge started.

With Margaritaville by Jimmy Buffet.

No. Seriously. Margaritaville.

Then it just got weirder.

Selections ranged from showtunes, to Tom Jones, to Elton John… just bizarre. I was expecting some classical stuff, maybe even just rhythmic playing… but crass showtunes?

So we just started talking and laughing louder.

It worked rather nicely.

Now I know they’ve had other musical selections playing so I will most likely return as I do really like the room, but if it was based all on this one visit… well like I originally mentioned — 2 1/2 stars.

French Downtown Fine Dining

From OpenTable:

This sumptuous dining room in the Wedgewood Hotel and Spa, recently voted Best Hotel Dining by Vancouver Magazine, continues to raise the bar of dining in this city to lofty levels.

While the dining room exudes private club elegance and hospitality. Executive Chef Lee Parsons, whose storied career includes a stint in a two star Michelin restaurant in England, brings European panache to his innovative cuisine and committed to sourcing sustainable product and utilizing the very best seasonal ingredients.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Bacchus Restaurant & Lounge  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: "T"Pear Green Tea Or Vancouver British Columbia, Bacchus Restaurant & Lounge, Bacchus Seymour Downtown Vancouver, Best Menu Items At Bacchus Restaurant, Best Dinner Lounge Downtown Vancouver, and Opentable Michelin Restaurants Vancouver.