Bashan Restaurant

3459 N Verdugo Rd
Glendale, CA 91208

Neighborhoods: Montecito Park
Cuisine: French, Catering, Indian

Bashan Restaurant is a French, Catering, and Indian restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid more than $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

mh2mh photo

mh2mh

Bashan Restaurant 3.0

oversalted

Went for dineLA Restaurant Week.

A for Effort.
F for complete failure in service.
B for food because everything was so oversalted.

They brought out an amuse, very nice effort for restaurant week. What was it—IIRC, a tiny bit of soba and something, and a tiny shot of broth to pour over it.

I ordered:
1. Braised Pork Belly – Cranberry Beans, Mussels, Tomato, Broth. Was it really necessary to add a lot of salt to pork belly? If I could have removed the salt, the dish would have been delicious.
2. Seared Barramundi – Jerusalem Artichoke, Cipollini Onions, Chorizo, Shrimp. Barramundi was cooked to perfection. So moist and delicious. The rest, well, again with all the salt. Maybe they even salted the chorizo.
3. Chocolate Bread Pudding – Chocolate Sauce, Vanilla Ice Cream. I enjoyed this very much. Couldn’t detect salt! The bread pudding was pretty light even though it looked so rich.

The food would have been an A but for the very heavy hand with the salt.

Service. The waitress was cold and perfunctory. We paid with cash. She never came back with our change. We actually had to ask for it. It turns out she had just assumed that the rest was her tip. Excuse me? She never asked if we needed change back. Every server asks or just brings it back! The audacity of her to assume we were giving her a high range tip, when she wasn’t very good to begin with. Blunderingly unprofessional.

PaulaF photo

PaulaF

Bashan Restaurant 3.0

A bit of a letdown...

I visited this restaurant with three friends on a Wednesday night for their special $40 3-course dinner (Tues – Thurs). I had been so excited, given the stellar reviews about this place, not to mention their delightful sounding menu. However, I wound up feeling let down. When we were ready to order, three of us wanted to order the the New Bedford Scallops with rice beans, piquillo pepper, bacon, squid, aged Pedro Ximenez sherry vinegar for our entrees. Then the waitress told us that they unfortunately only had enough for one more order since they weren’t able to get enough fresh ones that day. Ugh. I appreciate their emphasis on freshness, but it is really frustrating as a diner. She did offer us the addition options of the Alaskan Halibut and the Short Ribs. One of my friends decided to switch to the Short Ribs and I decided to go for the Alaskan Halibut, which the waitress said was her favorite dish. And so my other two friends wound up with the New Bedford Scallops and the Hangar Steak. The verdict? Here we go:

AMUSE BOUCHE:
- Shot of Cream of Cauliflower soup with a Sprinkle of Chili Flakes: I love soups, cauliflower, and (yes I admit it) cream, so I adored this.

APPETIZERS:
- Braised Pork belly with daikon, shishito pepper: This was my appetizer. This is one of their popular ones, and it was very good, although I have had better. The bottom part was very tender, but I felt that the top crust was seared perhaps 5-10 seconds too long.
- Puree of Pumpkin Soup: My friend ordered this one, and it was delicious, nice combination of sweet and savory. I liked the touch of fried capers sprinkled on top.

ENTREES:
- Alaskan halibut, roasted eggplant, hummus, baby artichokes, olive, pappadew pepper: I love all seafood and Mediterranean / Middle Eastern food, and so I thought I would love this dish, especially when our waitress said that it was her favorite entree. However, this fell flat. The fish was cooked fine, but could have been a bit more tender. But the biggest problem was that it was highly underseasoned. The accoutrements were alright, but did not sing. The chef / owner used to work at Providence, and so you would think he would know how to prepare good seafood, so I was quite surprised.
- New Bedford Scallops with rice beans, piquillo pepper, bacon, squid, aged Pedro Ximenez sherry vinegar: I took a bite of my friend’s order, and the scallops were pretty good, but the rice beans were a bit heavy.
- Short ribs (don’t remember other details of the dish): I don’t know what my friend thought of her entree, but I was not a fan. My bite had kind of a stringy texture and not a particularly memorable flavor.
- Hangar steak with house made mole, cippolini onions and figs: This was probably the best entree at the table. The steak was very tender and the mole seasoning was delicious – provided a nice heat without overwhelming the flavor of the meat.

DESSERTS:
- Chocolate Bread Pudding: When most of us think of bread pudding, we envision a homey, rustic kind of dessert. This version was a kind of artisnal version, but it was delicious. Rich chocolatey flavor and very moist overall.
- Peanut Butter Banana Sticky Toffee Cake: My friends ordered this one, and they seemed to like it. I didn’t taste it though.

Overall, kind of hit and miss. They do have other things on their menu that sounded wonderful, but given that my experience was hit or miss and given the average cost of a meal here, I don’t know how likely I am to return.

Braised Pork belly with daikon, shishito pepper

This was very good, although I have had better. The bottom part was very tender, but I felt that the top crust was seared perhaps 5-10 seconds too long.

Chocolate Bread Pudding

French Dinner Catering

From OpenTable:

Bashan Restaurant is a casual fine dining neighborhood restaurant. Constantly searching for the best ingredients, our menus are farmer’s market driven and change seasonally. We incorporate classic French technique in all of our preparations infusing California, Mediterranean and Asian practices.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Good Fast Pizza

Italian in Rossmoyne

Carousel Restaurant

Lebanese in City Center

Bashan Restaurant is located near the cities of Sepulveda, Glassell Park, and Los Feliz.
People found this by searching for: Shishito Peppers Menu Glendale, Bashan Restaurant, Bashan Restaurant Menue, Başhan Parke, Bashan Restaurentin Glendale Calif, Glendale, New Bedford Scallops, Special Restaurant In Thinking Giving In Glendale Ca, and Alaskan Food Glendale Ca.