312-755-9463

339 N Dearborn St ( )

Chicago, IL 60610

Neighborhoods: Near North Side

View Hours
Description: BIN 36 is a American, Wine Bar, and Wines restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: American, Wine Bar, Downtown, Reservations, Wines, OpenTable, River north, Brunch, Contemporary, and Takeout
  • 189 dishes entered by diners at BIN 36
  • 1 user wants to eat at BIN 36
  • 4 users love BIN 36
Tips:
  • The cheese bar offers 50 artisanal cheeses from around the world served at a 12-seat Carrera marble bar or 18-seat communal dining table.
  • Select one of 12 wine flights ($13-$18), a grouping of four half-glasses. The list offers a diverse assortment, with a reserve list for true oenophiles.
  • The upper-level loft seats 86 people, 125 standing. Call (312) 327-0459 info.
  • Sunday-Thursday for $36, dine on a three-course meal featuring dishes like seared scallops or chicken pot pie.

From OpenTable:

Bin 36 is a casual, friendly and affordable spot where wine novices can enjoy over 50 wines by the glass. Learning about wine does not have to be complicated! BIN 36's staff is enthusiastically prepared to offer people a great environment to learn and enjoy wine.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for BIN 36

Editorial Review by Gayot »

4.0

Too Classy for Me? Probably.

My follow-up review for this restaurant. Read my previous review for this restaurant here

We got seated in the more-fancy section (perch and squid?) but asked for the burgers-and-salad menu. Instead of any kind of disdain, the waitress was totally sweet about it.
Annnd we ate well.

Oh, I should add that I had the “Bubbles” flight of wines (18 ounces of bubbly wines) and I was giggling for hours afterwards. Highly recommended.

Bin 36 Burger

A little too charred on the outside, but still yummy. We all had a moment of humor when the waitress came back and told me they were out of provolone cheese to put on the burger: the restaurant has a cheese bar and an entire cheese menu. It was a mystery.

Bin 36 French Fries

I like medium-thick fries absolutely soaked in oil. These ain’t it. They’re very skinny and crispy rather than oily. And they hold onto their sea salt very well. What can I say? They grew on me.

BIN 36 Caesar Salad (Cellar)

My mom says this is the best Caesar Salad in the city. Not too much dressing, and they lay cheese over the lettuce. And an anchovy.

Raspberry-Chocolate Bombe

One side was a raspberry moist cake covered in dense chocolate; the other was a small chocolate wafer filled with mint-flavored ice. What? Why would I want minty ice for dessert? This is why I didn’t want to eat from the classy menu.

Wine Haven!

A modern restaurant located in Downtown Chicago. The big deal about this restaurant are the wine flights. For a modest amount, you can choose various wine flights (i.e. several wine tastes of a particular type or region). This is a great way to ascertain the qualities of a wine you like or dislike on the spot. It serves American Contemporary dishes. And, to my recollection, the food was rather unremarkable (I don’t yearn for it but neither did I feel disappointed after the meal). The dessert dishes were pretty but not delicious. I found the service borderline pretentious. Despite it’s grand size, this place is always packed though so be sure to make an RSVP. I’ve been here 3 times now and have even taken people out here (they’ve always been pleased with it). So, would I go back again? Sure, but it would be more for the the wine and cheese. And that’s why I’m giving it the 4 stars instead of the 3 (I would otherwise give it a 3.5)

Add/Show Comments (2)

Yum!

I go every week or two for lunch. They get you out of there quickly and you get to take water, coffee, and cookies with you when you leave. Gotta get the beet salad. It’s fantastic!

tastebud knock-out!

if you love wines/cheeses, then bin 36 is a good place to consider. sleek, modern, and clean, bin 36 offers a unique trio of a wine store, a casual wine/bar dining area as well as a more upscale fine dining area. on a friday night, the place was bustling and everyone seemed to be enjoying a nice glass (or four) of wine w/their meals.

i was surprised to find the food to be fairly good (as other reviewers haven’t been so glowing), and the atmosphere although loud, still enjoyable.

would i make another visit to bin 36?
most probably.

The Bin 36 Deluxe Cheese Flight

a nice eye-popping platter of 15 cheeses made from cow, sheep, and goat milks. a wide range of flavors, textures, and odors to thoroughly confuse the heck out of your tastebuds. i have to admit though it was quite fun trying all 15 fromages.

Seared Ahi Tuna

i would almost give 4.5 stars, but the tuna was so tender and tasty i have to give it 5 stars. there’s a bed of vegetables underneath that tasted too salty and strong for my tastebuds (hence, the almost 4.5 stars).

Poashed Pear & Almond Bouchee

a light, fruity dessert that satisfied my sweet tooth just right.

Jivara Rice Pudding

sugar overload w/this deliciously irresistable rice pudding. i enjoyed it more than the poached pear tart, but it was very rich so i don’t know if i could have finished it all on my own…i just had a few spoons of my friend’s.

Spanish vs. Italian Wine Flight

if you go to bin 36, give the wine flights a try. it’s fun, different, and you get to try 4 different wines. i was only able to enjoy 2 of my 4 wines, but it was a novel experience that made the evening a bit more interesting.

4.0

Sensory overload!! Yay for taste buds

Get your taste buds ready and head over to Bin 36. If you’re ready for some taste exploration you gotta try the deluxe cheese flights and a few wine flights.

The decor is a bit odd since it’s a pretty bright restaurant and feels like a wine shop when you walk in. The fancier dining area is a bit darker, but not much. It’s a good atmosphere for having fun with friends and not as much for a romantic date.

The service was pretty good. Our server was very attentive, polite and extremely helpful in explaining things from cheese to wine to scotch and tawny ports.

It’s easy to keep ordering and ordering but if you take your time like we did and have a nice leisurely 3 hour meal, it all feels worth it.

Rabbit Roulade

I love rabbit and this appetizer confirmed that in spades. There’s something about the tang that’s so tasty. The sauce was really awesome too.

Grilled Organic Pork Chop

I’ve never had rare pork, and I can’t wait to have it again (hopefully I don’t get sick ;)…). The pork was practically seared and the meat was uber-tender. Yum.

Poashed Pear & Almond Bouchee

The pear topped puff pastry was light and fruity and a nice refreshing finish to the meal.

Left Coast Flight

I nice sampling of wines, but I think I’ll try some of the more exotic ones next time.

Deluxe Cheese Flight

I love cheese and really enjoyed this starter. There’s an assortment of 15 goat, cow, and cheep milk cheeses and I was suprised at the many complex flavors. So good I rarely used the bread so I could just taste the cheeses.

BIN 36

The entire experience of this restaurant is great. The de...

The entire experience of this restaurant is great. The decor right when you walk in is modern and sleek with glass walls, metal chairs, and white linens. The wines, which you can buy at the restaurant, are great. Feel free to pick from the pre-made flights or create one of your own. The food is also outstanding. The menu offers wine pairings for each item, and the staff is very knowledgeable as well. A must visit.

4.0

The wine list is great! Food is really good. A...

The wine list is great! Food is really good. A little noisy but other than that a place i will definitely go back to.

Wine + Food

I went for the first time yesterday. I was sort of apprehensive because I was dining by myself (I felt like it was time to treat myself out to a good meal). However, the minute I stepped inside, I was greeted warmly, seated right away, and generally felt welcome. That is really important for any solo diner.

I ordered oyster on the 1/2 shell with bin 4 (nv brut). The combination was marvelous. Granted, I’ve had better oysters, but the ones bin 36 served were still fresh and flavorful (despite being really small). For my second course, I had blini lentil crepes with candied veggies? Well, the combination was amazing and the bin 23 (a riesling) went really well with the meal. For dessert, I had the caramel creme brulee with the 2005 dark muscat quady electra. The meal totaled $60 including tax and tip. Not expensive considering the fantastic three course meal, and three different wines to accompany it.

December 17, 2009

Bin 36 has a very good wine list

Went there for a private event, the wine list was very good and the food was great. They also have a shop in the front where they sell the wine.

October 13, 2009

Known for their wine, also open for your morning cup of coffee

Very trendy, and they know it. Very "upscale loft" feel, but nice and open, and the wine selection is ridiculously amazing. Right next door to the House of Blues, therefore perfect for a drink before a show. And somehow, they also…

BIN 36 is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Bin 36 Menu, Bin 36 Chicago Menu, Kamehachi Of Tokyo Chicago Streeterville Restaurant, Bin 36 Restaurant Chicago Photos, Rare Pork, Bin 36 Restaurant, Bin 65, Chicago, and Ahi Tuna.

Featured in Chicago