312-715-0708

619 W Randolph St ( )

Chicago, IL 60661

Neighborhoods: West Loop

View Hours
Description: Blackbird is a French, American, and Contemporary American restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: French, American, Contemporary American, Organic, Good for groups, Traditional, Continental, Outdoor seating, Catering, and Parking
  • 80 dishes entered by diners at Blackbird
  • 8 users want to eat at Blackbird
  • 1 user loves Blackbird
Tips:
  • Upstairs room accomodates private parties of X or more.
  • The chic upstairs room seats parties of up to 56 for dinner (90 for cocktails).
  • After a brief stint in computer science, Paul Kahan heard the call of the kitchen. He spent time at erwin and Topolobampo before opening Blackbird, and in 1999 was named one of America's best new chefs by Food & Wine Magazine.
  • Plan to make a reservation, as they're all-but-required.
  • Blackbird now offers a $15, three-course lunch, which includes items like tahini carrot salad and a fish sandwich.
  • Just feel like sipping a glass of wine? Head next door to Avec, Blackbird's equally stylish, wine-centric counterpart.

From OpenTable:

Critically acclaimed Blackbird is home base for Executive Chef Paul Kahan, winner of the James Beard Award for Outstanding Chef in 2013 and Best Chef of the Midwest in 2004.

Chef de Cuisine Perry Hendrix joined Kahan in the kitchen in 2014, and together they craft elegant and imaginative Midwestern cuisine, showcasing farm-fresh ingredients to create a menu both classic and utterly approachable.

Managing Partner and Owner Donnie Madia and Architect Thomas Schlesser crafted a unique and timeless atmosphere in 1997, earning the James Beard Award for Best Restaurant Design and Best Restaurant Design Graphics in 2002.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for Blackbird

• 6 reviews
  • First reviewed by RobL

Editorial Review by Gayot »

4.0

Go for the lunch and get the pork belly. At...

Go for the lunch and get the pork belly. At lunch the prices are much more manageable and the food is just as good. I don’t remember the other dishes we tried, but I definitely remember that the pork belly sandwich was awesome.

4.0

Went here for a fund raiser for my clients...

Went here for a fund raiser for my clients band-Eighth Blackbird and met Mario Batali. Nice place.

Perfect Lunch

Okay, for those of you wondering if there are any good lunch spots in the West Loop area, Blackbird is your answer! They’ve been offering their 3-course $22 prix-fixe menu for quite some time now and I’ve always been meaning to go.

A month ago, I decided to meet a friend for a long-overdue visit. We took one look at the menu and our eyes bugged out. The cuttle fish noodles with a side of avocado cream is delicious. A good balance of flavors from the salty cuttle fish to the creamy consistency of the avocado. The salmon arrived with an asparagus broth? It was a pink island in a sea of green…and it was savory goodness. Oh, but the real killer was the dessert. I usually want something tooth-achingly sweet. But instead, I got a sesame sponge cake with a tangy yogurt ice cream. Surprisingly, it was a very satisfying way to end the meal. Note to self: do not underestimate the wisdom of Paul Kahan.

So, today I decided to drop in for round deux. Same lunch menu, a few different items. Okay, fine…I didn’t order anything too radical from my previous lunch. I still had the cuttlefish and sesame sponge cake. They were awesome, which makes blackbird even better. A consistent kitchen is a kickass kitchen. But the pork belly with apple cider jus…drool. The pork belly just melted on my tongue and the sweet acidity of the jus made the dish a real standout.

Because the menu is so wonderfully cheap – yes, for the meal you’re getting, paying a measly $28 (that includes tax and tip) is a steal – I will definitely be dropping by as often as I can.

February 25, 2012

I want to go there! :)

I never been there, but my friends tell me its great and have good food. I´m planning my vacation and I want to go there. In my research I found your article and I loved! :) I found also this site, and I think is good and works good!…

August 15, 2011

Halibut was terrific

I would go back and will go back for the halibut. Not many places in the city that serve it like they do.

June 16, 2010

delicious food

i had the halibut, it was yummy. the lamb was awesome too. The only thing I didn't like was the noise and seatings were really close to each other. I feel like I was eating with the two couples next to us. Haha.

Blackbird is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Blackbird Chicago Photos, Blackbird Chicago Yelp, Fine Dining For Lunch Loop Of Chicago, Restaurant Next To Blackbird, Www.Menu For June 16 Executives, Blackbird Chicago, Blackbird Restaurant, and Best Lunch In Chicago Loop Blackbird.

Benny's Chop House

Steak in Loop

Loves Blackbird (1)

Mattjames

Evanston, IL

Wants to Try Blackbird (8)

globug2