310-637-1342

811 S Long Beach Blvd ( )

Compton, CA 90221-4030

Description: Bludso's BBQ is a BBQ, Barbecue, and Catering restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.
Tags: BBQ, Barbecue, Catering, Dinner, Lunch, Gluten Free, Ribs, American, Sandwiches, and Good for groups
  • 16 dishes entered by diners at Bludso's BBQ
  • 1 user wants to eat at Bludso's BBQ

Reviews for Bludso's BBQ

• 8 reviews
  • First reviewed by dhnoho

Best BBQ of Your Life

• * I LOVE BLUDSO’S !!!!! *****************

10 out of 5 stars. Does that make sense? After you’ve feasted at Bludso’s, it will.

The GREATEST BBQ I’ve had in my LIFE. EVERYTHING here was so good I felt like I was in meat heaven. No need to get into the details as you can read all about it in other reviews, so I offer the following random comments:

~- Bludso’s is a family-owned and operated place. The owner, Kevin Bludso, is a nice and warm man. The BBQ was so freakin’ good I asked him if I could give him a hug after my lunch. He happily obliged.

~- There are two varieties of BBQ sauce: mild and spicy. I went for the spicy and it was smooth, smoky, and flavorful. The interplay of sweet and spicy was spot on.

~- Their brisket is super tender and melts in your mouth. I told Kevin that the texture is equivalent to galbi jjim, which are Korean braised short ribs that are simmered for up to 4 hours. He was very pleased.

~- The all-beef hot links are no joke. Eat it and you will be enlightened.

~- They offer daily lunch specials. For about $6, you can get the featured meat of the day + 1 side dish.

~- For a person who hates mac ’n cheese (yours truly), I was a Bludso convert. They put love in ALL of their dishes, especially their greens cooked with smoked turkey, but the pasta dish was exceptional.

~- The service can’t be beat. Step up and you’re basically talking to the friendliest folks who treat you like FAMILY. What on earth??? They’re more than about serving you food and sending you on your way. The Bludso family cheerfully chats with you, asks where you’re from, if you enjoyed their food, etc etc….as though WE are doing THEM a favor by doing so!

~- They have a parking lot which only accommodates take-out customers. If you can’t find a spot, you shouldn’t have a problem finding parking along Long Beach Blvd; there are plenty of free 2-hour parking zones.

~- Everyone knows that the City of Compton has an unsavory reputation. It’s not Disneyland, but the restaurant location isn’t bad. If you’re from the OC, it looks like a typical intersection in the City of Santa Ana – kind of old and busy, but clean and orderly.

Put your apprehensions aside and get your hungry a$$ down to Compton for some gooooooood eats.

Brisket

The greatest and most tender brisket you can ever imagine.

Bludso's BBQ

4 hour wait @ Bludso's BBQ Nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!'

What a nightmare… !!!!!!! We waited 4 hours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Today to order 3 dinners…….Ridiculous!!!! One would think that a BBQ restaurant on the 4th of July would be ready to handle the rush of one of the businesses day’s in their industry!!!!! I was the third person in line trying to order three dinner at 12:30pm. When the manager STOP taking orders two people before me…… He stopped his staff from taking our orders to fill unpaid telephone Pre-orders. We all (50 people) waited and watched him and his staff pack and fill Pre orders for over 4 hours!!!!!! We constantly asked the manager and staff when they would start taking orders….. Only to be told “we don’t know”….. It was sooooooooooooooooooooooooo poorly managed and rude staff…. I will not be back…..!!!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There must have been at least 175 to 200 customers that walked away… While they filled orders that were not paid for……..finally after the long wait they finally decided to bring the line water and sodas around 4:30pm. They started retaking orders around 4:45pm. Only to be told that you can order and be charged for what you want but" we can not promise that you will get it…….Huh????? Get real!!!!!!!! They offered us a discount on the food which SHOULD HAVE BEEN FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We finally got our order home and it’s WRONG!!!!!!!!! GOOD GRIEF!!!!!!!!! My first time at this restaurant and I am really disappointed! The food was not that great and I will not be back!!!!!!!!!! Tried to give them a chance that’s why I waited sooooooooooo long… Hoodie Award nominee …. Huh!!!! Get real!!!!! Nightmare!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Food was warm… But salty

Add/Show Comments (1)

Tasty Texas-Style BBQ at Bludso's BBQ

When it comes to classic American BBQ food that includes ribs, brisket, smoked sausages and such, I have to confess that most of my experiences have been at chain restaurants, except for one memorable quickie dinner at Hungry Al’s BBQ in West Covina. It’s not that I don’t enjoy indulging the carnivorous side of me, but with my love of ethnic cuisine, that’s generally where I end up spending my dining dollars towards.

Then Robert, who’s an Assistant Organizer for my dining group, set up a Sunday BBQ at Bludso’s BBQ in Compton and after experiencing their food, all I could say was “Thank goodness I’m a carnivore.” When we arrived, one of the first things I saw was a deep fried turkey being pulled out of a fryer. Crispy skin and juicy turkey meat! What a great precursor to what would turn out to be quite a BBQ feast.

In fact, my carnivorous self was also able to taste quite a variety of Bludso’s meaty offerings, starting with their beef and chicken hot links. Unfortunately, these were just okay. It lacked something. A firmer texture? More flavor?

The pulled pork was tender with a nice smoky flavor to it. When it came to the tri-tip, in truth, it wasn’t very memorable, but in a way that’s good, right? I always remember when I don’t like something.

I enjoyed the crispy skin of the chicken, but it was dry and needed just a little more seasoning, but dip it into Bludso’s spicy bbq sauce and you’re good to go.

But what really did it for me was their ribs. Pork or beef, it didn’t matter, because both were juicy, meaty, smoky and had a wonderful seasoned crust that was tasty to bite into.

When it came to the sides, I was blown away. My absolute favorite was the collard greens. Generally, you hear about collard greens being cooked with pork, but these were cooked with turkey and the flavor was amazing. I could have eaten a whole bowl of those greens and called it a night.

I also enjoyed the corn bread, which had a nice texture, as well as the beans which had a smoky sweetness that was appealing. The mac and cheese was a little dry on the surface, but got creamier as you spooned your way towards the middle.

As for dessert, they have a few to choose from, but my recommendation is to order either their housemade Red Velvet Cake or their Banana Pudding. The Red Velvet Cake had a lovely moistness to it and for me, that Banana Pudding was simply unforgettable.

Overall, this one meal really had me seeing American BBQ in a different light and I look forward to going on more culinary journeys exploring this cuisine.

Beef Pork Ribs

Pulled Pork

The pulled pork was tender with a nice smoky flavor to it.

Red Velvet Cake

Tri Trip

Links

Unfortunately, both chicken and beef links were just okay. It lacked something. A firmer texture? More flavor?

Banana Pudding

Deep Fried Turkey

Baked Beans

The beans had a smoky sweetness that was appealing

BBQ Pork Ribs

BBQ Chichen

Corn Bread

I also enjoyed the corn bread, which had a nice sweet moist texture.

Macaroni and Cheese

Add/Show Comments (1)

4.0

What? Texas BBQ in L.A.? Yep.

That’s what I thought being from Texas and all but I have to say this place lived up to it. It’s a bit of a drive for me but well worth it. The service was friendly.The meat was oh so tender and smoky. What I liked the most is that it did not come slathered with bbq sauce which hides the flavor of the meat. I ordered the bbq sauce on the side

It’s is a take-out place with a few stools and a counter but other than that it’s small, standing room only but well worth it.

Beef Tips

Tender smoky and it had a nice chunk of meat.

Brisket

My husband ordered this and I must say. We Texans pride ourselves on our brisket and this one matched up.

Quite Possibly the Best BBQ in LA County

Don’t let the name or the neighborhood intimidate you. I always get a funny face from other people when I tell them about Bludso’s (I think they imagine its spelled Blood Sow’s until you spell it correctly to them) and that its in Compton. Ever since I had Phil’s BBQ down in San Diego 2 years ago, I’ve been searching for a place in LA that could match that standard. Bludso’s is my Holy Grail of Texas style BBQ. I found this place through Yelp (thanks Tony!) and I am now so glad I don’t have to drive down to SD to get my BBQ fix when I’m craving it.

I went here yesterday, after a taste testing at nearby Mom’s (see my review). I’m part of a foodie group and I’m doing this ‘Food in the Hood’ series this year. I was planning to hold an event here next month so I wanted to scope out the place in advance and see if the Yelp hype matched reality. It was good thing most of the group I ate with at Mom’s followed me here, because it enabled us to try a wide variety of what Bludso’s had to offer.

When we entered the place, what struck me was how small the place was. They only have enough room for 4 bar stools. This is really a take out place, not a dine in establishment. Its a good thing my group only numbered 6 in all since we barely fit inside.

I ordered their Texas sampler which consists of all their meats including: pork ribs, Angus beef rib, beef brisket, rib tip, chicken, chicken links (i.e., sausage), beef links and pork shoulder. The cost was $27. At first I thought it was a little pricey but my God, when they hand you tightly saran wrapped platter, it barely fits through the service window and the moment you lift it on your own, that thing is heavy. Its at least 7 lbs. of meat. The Texas sampler also comes with 2 side dishes. You get your pic of potato salad, baked beans, cole slaw, collard greens, and mac & cheese. I chose the mac & cheese and beans. All in all, this meal will serve 4 people, so when you its actually a great bargain.

The meats come in 2 sauces, mild and spicy. I admit I am a wimp when it comes to spice, so I chose the mild, but requested a cup of their hot sauce for others in my group. All the meat was tender and the pork ribs were filled with meat, not fat. The mild sauce was very mild, so I tried the spicier version and didn’t find it to be scorching. I still liked the mild sauce better, but most of the people in my group preferred the spicier sauce. My brother is a fan of sausages and he liked the links. One person in my group lived in Texas and she said that both the BBQ and the collard greens were authentic.

There were a few disappointments: 1) They didn’t serve baby back ribs, but I forgive their heresy because all the food they served was yummy to the tummy. 2) They didn’t have the banana pudding and red velvet cake. Kevin the owner told us his wife and mom make the desserts and they didn’t make it that day. Shame on them. 3) The plastic knives don’t cut the meat very well. We resorted to tearing at the meat with our hands like our ancestral cave people did. 4) They hand you a mini plastic bag that that contains a napkin, a towelette, and a slice of bread. Not all the pieces of bread was white bread, there actually a slice of wheat bread (gasp!) in one of the bags. that’s not authentic Southern style! But really, my main beef was there was not enough napkin to handle all the sauce we got on our hands. I had to ask for more napkins.

My foodie group was so excited about out latest discovery that we are planning on an another visit next month. This time with a much larger group. The problem is that the place is so tiny, so we asked Kevin, the owner of he could recommend a nearby park we could eat at. Yes, my foodie group is not afraid to eat out at a park in Compton during the daytime.

Kevin offered us a better alternative and said he could set up a tent in the back to host the event. I’m still working out the details on the event, but I already get hungry thinking about it.

Service is very friendly. Cookie, Kevin and the other guy that served us were very helpful and patient. They seemed very genuine in trying to make their customers happy and it really shows in the quality of the food that they serve to patrons. They had very limited parking, so your best bet is to park on Long Beach Blvd.

Baby Blues in Venice – eff you and your average BBQ and overpriced meals. Bludso’s is the king of BBQ in LA.

BBQ Pork Ribs

Without the sauce, the ribs are the most picture perfect I have seen in any restaurant. they almost look symmetrical. And the taste – a high quality grade of meat, smoked and cooked to perfection. They offer a mild and spicy BBQ sauce, I prefer the spicy one since it doesn’t scorch my lips.

Baked Beans

Good baked bean flavor. Not their best side dish though.

Collard Greens

This is as good as it gets. Authentic Southern style preparation with a great ham/bacon taste. Divine.

Links

I’m not a sausage fan but I thought the links were okay.

Beef Tips

While not the best beef tips I have had, they are still above average. The meat is tender and moist – most places overcook beef tips, but not Bludso’s. It has a good smoky taste.

BBQ Chichen

The chicken is fgood, but the pork is better.

Texas Style BBQ - just the way I like it

I came here with a small group of people to check it out. Mind you we had just eaten a burger meal an hour before, but since we were in the area and at the recommendation and invitation from our host at the burger event, we just had go.

I was surprised at how good it was. Between all of us (6), we ordered their sampler of Beef Brisket, Rib Tips, Chicken, Links and perhaps other myriad of meats. Also included were baked beans, mac and cheese and collard greens.

Oh goodness, it was a heavenly taste. Granted I was already full from the previous meal, so I subconsciously stretched my stomach, just enough to eat a small bite of each dish.

I know my Texas style barbecues as my family is from East Texas and a friend that came with us, she is a chef and a Texan and she highly approved this spot.

This is very small place with just one counter opposite of the window where you order. More of a take out venue, and parking is tough as there is construction on each side of Long Beach Blvd.

The sampler was under $30 dollars but share it with amongst 4 people and you are good to go.

Note: They do have dessert offerings such as red velvet cake and banana pudding, however they were out of them :-(

Links

My favorite out of all the samples. I tried both the mild and spicy and of course the spicy ones win. You just have to take my word for it,

Beef Tips

It was really tender, the tanginess of the sauce was mouth watering

Baked Beans

I’m not a baked beans junkie, but it was really good, just the way my dad makes it.

Collard Greens

I like greens but very bias about it. Their version was actually really good, but I have had better at someone’s home.

March 25, 2010

The Best BBQ in LA?

If you're looking for great BBQ in LA, look no further than Bludso's. Whether it's beef brisket, ribs, or hot links, Bludso's has it all for you. If it's your first time visiting, I'd suggest getting the sampler, which will give you a…

Bludso's BBQ is located near the cities of Rancho Dominguez, East Compton, East Rancho Dominguez, Corpus Christi, and Lynwood.
People found this by searching for: Bledsoe Bbq, Bludso's Bbq Menu, Deep Fried Turkey, Bludso's In Compton, Bludso, Best Bbq In Compton, Deep Fried Turkey Near 92646, and Bludso's Bbq.

Featured in Compton

Link to Bludso's BBQ

Bludso's BBQ  Restaurant Reviews

Overall:  100%  Food:  87%  Service:  87%  Ambiance:  85%
Pros
  •  "Ribs brisket"
  •  "Great weekday specials,just don't go on a friday chicken links horrible."
Cons
  •  "Slow long line"
  •  "Waiting is kind of long"
Comments
  •  "None"