415-440-4959

1638 Post St ( )

San Francisco, CA 94115

Neighborhoods: Japantown

View Hours
Description: Bushi-Tei is a Californian, Japanese, and Eclectic restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid more than $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Californian, Japanese, Casual Elegant, Japantown, Expensive, Reservations, Pacific Heights, Eclectic, Fusion, and Good For Kids
  • 64 dishes entered by diners at Bushi-Tei
  • 4 users want to eat at Bushi-Tei
  • 3 users love Bushi-Tei
Tips:
  • A brunch menu is offered on Sundays from 11:30am to 2:30pm.
  • The Japan Center Parking Garage (the entrance is on Geary Boulevard) is $1.75 per hour.

Reviews for Bushi-Tei

Editorial Review by Gayot »

Bushi-Tei

Clean your plate, then clean your butt

This place is impressive on all levels and has quickly become one of my favorites.

mandeelish has already mentioned the free champagne we received while waiting for our table. They even told us we could go across the street to the bar and they’ll come and get us when the table was ready. wow! that’s service.

The decor is modern and stylish, where the wood panels are actually taken from some ancient Japanese estate…. so they say.

Service is superb and our server was extremely friendly and knowledgeable. He gave excellent wine pairing recommendations for our meal and explained what every dish was and how it was prepared.

The food is excellent. If you’re up for it, I’d recommend getting the chef’s omakase so you get the best of what the kitchen has to offer. You won’t be disappointed. And since this was our first time dining there, they offered us a free taste of their sparkling sake. Very good sake. Oh, and there’s this blurb on the menu about how their water is some electrolysis water with a ph of 8.5~9.5. Didn’t quite know what that was about and it tasted like regular water to me.

But if you’re not already impressed up to this point, just make a trip to the bathroom. Holy crap is what I said when I saw the toilet. This was a fully decked out and fully automatic toilet with pulsating and oscillating buttons I didn’t dare push. You just need to go see this toilet.

Chef Waka's Omakase

This is a 5 course tasting menu where the menu items often change . Mine came with hamachi sashimi, monk fish and kobe beef among other excellent dishes. A bit pricy but I felt it was worth it.

Bushi-Tei

Good food, good service, and cool bathroom!

We came here a little early and our table wasn’t ready. We opted to just stand nearby since we had been sitting all day at work. A little into our wait, the host gave us a couple glasses of champagne and told us our table would be ready soon. Nice touch! And good champagne!

We came here for the dine about town offering, but ended up ordering one omakase and an entree with appetizer. All of it was delicious. Very unique dishes, and the waiter always explained again what was in the dish upon presentation. The waiter also let us try a couple wines to pair with our meal.

It was a great experience, and even though we had a late dinner, we weren’t rushed at all. And if you come here, check out the bathroom!

This place is great for dates or a small group of friends. The omakase is on the pricey side, but you will get full from it. Otherwise, the other menu items are between $20-$30.

Big eye Tuna tartare

One of the best tartares I’ve had

Pan seared Maine scallop

It came with 2 large scallops. I could’ve eaten one more though!

Add/Show Comments (2)

4.0

chic & modern, but japanese?

after reading reviews by mandeelish and opilicious, we decided to treat one of our friends to bushi-tei. although it’s got a japanese name, the cuisine is actually french-california. the decor though has a mild japanese touch w/a very romantic, modern, chic atmosphere. a definite fine dining experience (which didn’t meld to well w/my tang top and shorts…surprise, surprise).

but yes, the bathroom was an unforgettable experience in itself. i tried the ‘back’ option, which amazingly had excellent aim. if there’s a next time, i’ll have to give ‘oscillating’ a try. ;)

Lobster and Crab

you get quite a good serving size, which was enough for everyone in our party of 4. the dish had a decent amount of lobster, crab, and salad, but was a bit too creamy for me.

Confit of Quail

comes in a cute black cooking pot w/a teapot of vinegar/soy sauce. 2 quail legs w/more quail meat wrapped in bacon. quite tasty w/all the oil, and side sauce.

Pan Roasted Sonoma Duck Breast

this is probably the meatiest duck breast i’ve ever had. i’m used to the chinese fatty duck that isn’t much, but mighty tasty. this duck was a bit on the tough side (it was real work to cut).

Tender loin of Washugyu beef

surprisingly, melts in your mouth. i’ve never had meat which does that.

Flourless Chocolate Souffle

for a chocolate souffle, this was just alright. it comes w/a little scoop of icy ice cream on top.

4.0

good food and service

As others have pointed out, despite being in the middle of Japantown the food at Bushi-Tei is more Japanese-inspired Californian than Japanese. So don’t come expecting sushi and you’ll walk away with an amazing meal.

When we arrived our table wasn’t ready because the party before us was taking their time paying the bill. So we got some drinks at a nearby bar and waited for the hostess to call us. This was slightly annoying but when we finally did get seated we were given complimentary sparkling rose wine and an amuse bouche to make up for the wait.

Our waiter, Mark, described all of the dishes in exquisite detail and gave great recommendations on the food and on wine pairings. Our salad appetizer was quite good. The grilled bigeye tuna was simply amazing (and this is coming from someone who doesn’t like seared tuna usually). For dessert I had the black sesame blancmange. The menu description doesn’t do it justice (especially since almost no one knows what a blancmange is). It’s a light custard-like dessert but made with black sesame cream. Very good and unique.

Big eye Tuna tartare

Black Sesame Blancmange

Baby mizuna, rock shrimp fennel, greenapple, ginger vinaigrette

Add/Show Comments (1)

3.0

The portions were super small and the taste was okay...no...

The portions were super small and the taste was okay…not THAT impressive. Over-rated.

December 28, 2010

It was good but pricey

I had purchased a Groupon for Bushi-Tei. I called to make reservations and was told he'd try to squeeze us in, I don't know what that was all about, when we got there there were 2 people in the restaurant, 1/2 way through our meal 2 more…

August 3, 2009

Bushi Tei Restaurant is a top-rated restaurant in the city.

We had a great experience here - nice decor, professional staff, and the food was exceptionally good.\r \r One of us had the 5-course tasting menu and the other had the 2-course pre-fixe menu - in total we tried 7 different dishes. I liked…

February 8, 2009

if you're in the mood for throwing your money

This restaurant won a 1* Michelin in 2007? Well, those days are long gone too!\r \r Let me tell you what abomination of food we had. Foie gras appetizer \r Foie gras, $20 that was passable. Not great, nothing fantastic. As a matter of…

Bushi-Tei is located near the cities of Hayes Valley, , Mission District, Chinatown, and Haight Ashbury.
People found this by searching for: Bushitei Bruch Price San Francisco, Bushi Tei Mountain View, Tit Bushi Fotu, Picture Japan Modern Omakase, Bushi Tei, Mt Vie, Bushitei, Japanese Restaurants In San Francisco With Bidet Toilets, Bushi Tei Japantown, and Bushi Ter.

House of Prime Rib

San Jose, CA

Bcdtko4pqr3jksaby-ryrz
gary

Mountain View, CA

Wants to Try Bushi-Tei (4)

Cxi0fk-p8r4ktmeje4bmuj

0 useful

Listed On

My Restaurant Rotation by WinstonLiaw

Note: nice place

Dishes: just do the tasting menu

Nearby Restaurants