323-255-5111

1712 Colorado Blvd ( )

Los Angeles, CA 90041-1338

Neighborhoods: Eagle Rock

View Hours
Description: Cafe Beaujolais is a French, Vegan, and Chicken restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: French, Good for groups, Takeout, Vegan, BYOB, Chicken, Californian, Bakeries, American, and Delivery
  • 4 dishes entered by diners at Cafe Beaujolais
  • 4 users want to eat at Cafe Beaujolais
  • 3 users love Cafe Beaujolais
Tips:
  • The restaurant is small and popular, so it's a good idea to make reservations for weekend nights.
  • The wine list complements the food, and waiters are generally helpful with pairing suggestions. Corkage is $15.

Reviews for Cafe Beaujolais

Editorial Review by Gayot »

3.0

what part of this is french?

The first time I went was years and years ago, way before the current owners, and back then I thought it was just ok. I had heard so many good things about this restaurant now that I wanted to try it again.

What are these gigantor portions doing in a French cafe?

I mostly wanted to try the french onion soup and the salade frisee Lyonnaise, so that’s what I got. Good thing I didn’t get anything else, that salad was big. The eggs were a bit overcooked, the roma tomatoes had no business being in there, since that classic salad doesn’t have tomatoes, plus they were bad supermarket ones, so no flavor whatsoever. The lardons was not very good bacon. The dressing was ok, a little too vinegary. Neither this version nor the undressed one at Comme Ca did much for me.

The onion soup had a very nice crust of cheese(s), and good flavor, but where were the onions? I don’t remember any onions.

The profiteroles were straight out of a freakin American cookbook. They were huge, Beard Papa sized, there were like three of them, drenched in bad chocolate and covered with whipped cream sprayed out of a can, then topped with a marachino cherry. WTH.

I guess for the food-to-price ratio, it’s a good place. Plus some of the entrees that others in my group got looked pretty good, so I’d return to try other dishes. Also, I like the casual atmosphere a lot.

4.0

Ooooo-la-la for the Tasty French Cusine

For a few years now, I’ve been hearing about a wonderful restaurant in Eagle Rock called Café Beaujolais. I’ve even driven by the restaurant more than times than I can count, so when I actually had a free night to just spend time with friends, I suggested Café Beaujolais for dinner and off we went.

From the outside, it looks pretty plain with its brown paneling and green awning, but once you enter, you’re in for quite a surprise. The interior of the restaurant is actually very pretty and welcoming. Warm orange-brown walls hung with a variety of French wine-inspired art posters will greet you once you step through the door. The waiters are French, charming and very attentive. While you can hear conversation throughout the restaurant, it’s not deafening which allows you the chance to talk to your friends at your meal without having to yell at them.

As for the food, when I opened the menu, I was really surprised with how reasonable the prices were. Appetizers weren’t more than $10. All the entrees were under $20 and desserts were only $6.95. Maybe, I’ve been eating out at too many expensive restaurants lately because it was nice to see that it wouldn’t cost me an arm and a leg this time for dinner.

Now on to the meal itself. We started off with large chunks of French bread. I didn’t think that the bread itself was that great. It seemed a little hard to me, but hey, I wasn’t there for the bread, so it wasn’t a big deal. A nice little touch in regards to our water is that our waiter brought us a wine glass filled with water that he would use to periodically fill up our glasses when the water was getting low.

For my starter, I ordered the soup of the day, which was a celery soup. Our waiter made a point of telling us that the soup was not made with any cream or butter. The soup I have to say was amazing. It was thick, hearty and you could definitely taste the celery. This is the kind of soup that I would love to have again with just some French bread for cooler weather.

My entrée was a New York strip steak topped with a large pat of garlic butter and that came with potatoes, beans and small baked tomato. It was cooked just right: medium with the meat retaining its pinkness once I cut into the steak and as I cut into the steak, you could see the juices coming out. I was a very happy camper. I also liked the fact that the beans and potatoes also retained a bit of firmness and weren’t over cooked. Mushy veggies to me are just a waste of eating energy. I also took a bite of the Beef Borgionne, that someone else in my party ordered, and that was pretty tasty, too. The meat was quite tender.

Finally, it’s dessert time. I ordered their chocolate mousse. This chocolate mousse was rich and not overly sweet. This definitely leaned more towards dark chocolate vs. milk chocolate. Given that I’m a dark chocolate fan, I was more than satisfied with my dessert choice. What I found interesting is that this chocolate mousse version was denser than I’ve had in the past. It was less creamy, but like I said, I still enjoyed every bite of it.

All in all, I really enjoyed Café Beaujolais and now I’m just kicking myself that I hadn’t made my way to there earlier. But better late than never and now that I’ve discovered it, I’m definitely am going to be a repeat patron.

Celery Soup

New York Strip Steak

It was topped with a large pat of garlic butter and also came with potatoes, beans and small baked tomato. It was cooked just right: medium with the meat retaining its pinkness once I cut into the steak and as I cut into the steak, you could see the juices coming out. I was a very happy camper. I also liked the fact that the beans and potatoes also retained a bit of firmness and weren’t over cooked. Mushy veggies to me are just a waste of eating energy.

Beef Borgionne

Chocolate Mousse

Add/Show Comments (1)

Cafe Beaujolais

Great food, great atmosphere, sophisticated servers and more

I had not been to Cafe Beaujolais in years, so did not know what to expect. On first impression, the dining room floorplan/layout is much more pleasant than before along with the warm, low lighting. Nice atmosphere. The staff were delightfully helpful, friendly, and humorous. I like the rare times you dine somewhere with staff who take ownership of their space and have a sense of pride. That came through at Cafe B. The food was absolutely divine. I cannot say enough about it. I’m always looking for fine ingredients, lovingly assembled and carefully seasoned. My Rainbow trout with shrimp and scallop was simply outstanding. Buttery sauteed mushrooms, just the right amount of salt pulling it all together. Heavenly potatoes and beautiful quality seafood! What a nice surprise. Others at the table were completely engaged with their delicious meals as well. Beef Bourgignonne, duck, and pasta among them. We all went a little nuts over one poor guests pomme fritte, so helped him out of the beautiful stack that arrived. The dry white wine we sipped was perfection. No sign of sweetness, but a wonderful light effervescense and white grape. My desert wine was so unexpectedly delicilcious I could’ve stayed all night drinking that and chatting with handsome waiters. We’ll be back for sure! How nice to have you in Eagle Rock!

March 24, 2011

DON't buy a GIFT CERTIFICATE from this place:

As a Christmas gift I was given a 100$ gift certificate by my long time employee a few years ago. living on the West side I actually had never made when they were open (only after 5pm) and with the gift certificate with me. So I finally…

September 19, 2010

Delightful & Delicious

My wife and I had a most enjoyable dinner at Beaujolais last night. Its ambience is charming and very typical of bistros in France. It's casual without being too casual, and upscale without feeling stuffy. The place is popular so expect…

Cafe Beaujolais is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: Cafe Beaujolais Menu, Cafe Beaujolais Eagle Rock, Cafe Beaujolais Eagle Rock Menu, Cafe Beaujolais Menu, Eagle Rock, Cafe Beaujolais Colorado Blvd Los Angeles, Cafe Beaujolais Eagle Rock Ca, Cafe Beaujolais Menu Eagle Rock, Cafe Beaujolais, and Beaujolais Restaurant Eagle Rock.

Loves Cafe Beaujolais (3)

Ddej-yv-er3ix6aby-gaa8
AdrianYuen

marigaydc

Ciudad Obregón, SON
0 useful

D6rxqerkkr3aohaby-t3n_
pleasurepalate

Wants to Try Cafe Beaujolais (4)

Cxi0fk-p8r4ktmeje4bmuj

Pete's Blue Chip
Mexican in Eagle Rock

Link to Cafe Beaujolais

Cafe Beaujolais  Restaurant Reviews

Overall:  100%  Food:  100%  Service:  100%  Ambiance:  100%