Cafe Lulu

4.2 rating over 1 review

414-294-5858

2261 South Howell Avenue ( )

Milwaukee, WI 53207

Neighborhoods: Bay View

Tags: nothing yet.

Reviews for Cafe Lulu

Editorial Review by Gayot »

Cafe Lulu

One of Bayview's Best!

Cafe Lulu IS Baview, quintessential Bayview!

As an avid brunch-goer and huge Bloody Mary fan I could not be happier that they have chosen to have mirrored the Garden Veg Bloody at their sister restaurant, Juniper 61.

Honestly, Lulu did not used to have a very good bloody, but alas, that is no longer the case. The base is a vodka infused with a garden full of veggies and topped with their house tomato mix. Just a dash of horseradish and worchcestershire, a kick of hot sauce and a pinch of celery salt now comprises this top-notch drink. Garnish is a pickle spear, olive and cherry tomato, not fancy but as long as the bloody is great (which it is) I’m good.

I tried a new-to-me entree this visit, the Parisian Eggs. I loved that the fresh and soft sourdough bread was topped with one of my favs, Boursin Cheese before the sauteed spinach and fresh roma tomatoes were added. My only issue, and this is a pet peeve, was that the poached eggs were very undercooked on the side. I scrapped the slippery uncooked whites to the edge of my plate. Some restaurants get how to poach and egg, some do not; and in that case all lose one full star from me.

The side of rosemary potatoes was perfectly seasoned and cooked. Too much rosemary ruins all, and this dish was great!

Too bad I did not have the capacity to share a piece of their wonderful pie. It’s worth a trip just for their desserts.

I also need to give a shout out to our server, Anna. She’s been at Lulu’s for years and always, always provides excellent service with a smile. In fact, many of the servers here have quite long tenures, which says something about the place.

It’s casual and welcoming and comforting, just like Bayview!