206-283-3313

2601 Aurora Ave N ( )

Seattle, WA 98109

Neighborhoods: Greenwood

View Hours
Description: Canlis Restaurant is a Northwest, Fine Dining, and American restaurant where most Menuism users came for a business meeting, paid more than $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: MS Prime, Northwest, Lower Queen Anne, Delivery, Fine Dining, Special Occasion, American, Downtown, Seattle, and Great Service
  • 3 dishes entered by diners at Canlis Restaurant
  • 9 users want to eat at Canlis Restaurant
  • 1 user loves Canlis Restaurant

From OpenTable:

This is a place where you feel welcomed. Run by the Canlis family, Canlis is the Pacific Northwest's most celebrated restaurant, winner of fourteen consecutive Wine Spectator Grand Awards and three time James Beard runner up for best service in the country. Voted Most Romantic, Best View, Best Service, Best Design, Top Wine List and Wine Service, Washington Family Business of the year, and Best Overall Restaurant. At Canlis we are learners, and after 60 years of serving Seattle, we believe we're just beginning to get things right. We look forward to meeting you. For more information, we invite you to www.canlis.com

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for Canlis Restaurant

• 4 reviews
  • First reviewed by shaomai

Editorial Review by Gayot »

Beautiful atmosphere, spectacular service

Since I got to travel on business expenses to Seattle, I wanted to eat at all the premiere locations. Canlis was one of the restaurants that came up in a lot of searches and consistently got really great reviews, and with good reason.

First of all, let’s talk about the service. Canlis easily has the best service I’ve ever had at a restaurant – the waiter always kept tabs on where we were progressing in our meal and was able to swoop in just when we were finished or looked done with the portion. He was super friendly and gave recommendations. When I asked where the restrooms were, instead of just pointing the way, he personally escorted me there. The person I was eating with later told me that as soon as I got up to leave, a busboy came, took my napkin away, and the waiter came and replaced it with a brand new one. I’ve been to restaurants before where they fold your napkin back up, but this was the first time I got a brand new one! Considering we hadn’t ordered yet, maybe it was a big unnecessary, but I don’t care – I felt special! The other thing I’d read a lot about before going to this restaurant was the “invisible valet.” When you arrive at the restaurant, they take your keys and your coat, but never take your name or give you a ticket. You just walk right into the restaurant and leave your car there. When you leave, your car is supposed to just be waiting outside for you. Our experience was a little different – the valets were distracted talking, so our car wasn’t ready… but upon seeing us about 5 feet away from the glass doors, I saw one of them BOLT out to the parking lot and our car was there within seconds. What great service! Too bad the valet wasn’t free and it’s mandatory… but it’s fun.

Second, the atmosphere. The restaurant is located a bit north of the city center, but not too far off – it was about a 10 minute drive. We were seated with a view out the window, overlooking lake union and Gas Works Park. It was a spectacular view. If you go to the Canlis website, they had a lot of information regarding the art and architecture of the restaurant itself. To me, it felt like a luxe log cabin, but it does seem like those who really appreciate the northwest naturesque feel, they’d really love it. I do have to say that I was really impressed by the restrooms – when I first walked in, there’s a small lounge area with a gigantic mirror on one side, and on the other, there’s a small zen atrium behind a wall of glass. There’s a divider between the lounge and the sink area, but the atrium extends to behind the sink, so when you’re washing your hands, you’re looking out onto an indoor zen garden. It’s really pretty!

Lastly, the food. For as elegant and classy as the restaurant is, I thought the food was good, but not something I would remember for the rest of my life. I got a Canlis salad to start, which has been reviewed as one of the best salads ever made – but I didn’t get why. Just tasted like a salad to me. The amuse bouche was salmon mousse on a cracker, which was good… but tasted kinda like something you could get from trader joe’s. I had the crabcakes and truffled fries for my entree. The crabcakes were huge and meaty, but I didn’t like the Valencia orange sauce. The truffled fries were nice and thinly sliced, but I felt like there was too much truffle oil and salt, so it was overwhelming. I did, however, think the dessert was great. I had the chocolate lava cake, which has a liquid truffle filling. That was rich and decadent, but perfectly so. Oh yes, and also had the best wine I’ve ever had here. They have a master sommelier here, but I didn’t even use him – the waiter gave an excellent recommendation without him. I went with a glass of the pinot grigio, and yes, it was the best wine I’ve ever had. (according to their website, I believe it was the 2005 Abbazia Di Novacella, Alto Adige, IT)The dinner was pricey, but definitely not as price as other places like it. I would expect to pay at least $100 per person, but I think we managed to get away with about $70 per person here.

Overall, even though the food wasn’t as excellent was I was hoping (and don’t get me wrong, it was still very very good), the service makes you feel like a queen. I’d go back. It’s a great place to go to celebrate a special occasion!

Crab cakes

I just wasn’t a fan of the sauce. I think if it had been a different sauce, I would have loved this dish.

Canlis salad

Raved about as one of the best salads, but I thought it just tasted like salad.

Chocolate lava cake

Spectacular!

Add/Show Comments (1)

4.0

The memories of one night in Canlis is now engraved in my...

The memories of one night in Canlis is now engraved in my head for the rest of my life. Canils is rated among Seattle’s finest restaurants. Top class and they make you feel like it. The location is beautiful, right on a cliff overlooking Lake Union. Pine trees are visible through the large glass windows, although somewhat view-blocking they do give it that extra northwest feel. The atmosphere of the place is amazing, somewhat like a cabin, but modern, with high ceilings but cosy at the same time, i would say contemporary pacific northwest style.
The service is very professional and attentive. No complaints here. The wine list is endless, the pinot noir recommendation was superb.
The food however was nothing exciting. You could tell that they used the finest ingredients, but they did however fall short in flavor. This however does not at all effect my view of the place as the overall experience was perfect. you definately leave satisied.
Dinner costs about $100/person which in my opinion is not bad for what u get. It’s not the type of place u go to very often anyways, special occasions and splurges.

4.0

Parsnip soup: "good enough to lick the bowl clean"

Parsnip soup. Before partaking at Canlis, I never thought I’d be associating the phrase “good enough to lick the bowl clean” with parsnip soup. But I did (both associate the phrase and indeed lick the bowl clean)…and I would do it again.

Peter Canlis prawns. Another dish in which I was wishing I had more bread in order to sop up all the phenomenal sauce that was left after I’d inhaled the delicate-tasting shrimp (er, prawns).

Nebraska Filet Mignon. Who knew I had an affinity for anything related to Nebraska? Hmmm. Classically prepared and delicious, my only beef (haha) was that the carrot puree actually slightly overshadowed/impinged on my enjoyment of pure beefy taste. I guess I am a beef purist.

Forest mushrooms: Anything that combines sherry and garlic is a win for me.

Dessert? Yes, please! Mille-Feuille: Bananas, banana caramel and dark chocolate – it was like taking Chunky Monkey to a brand-new, sophisticated adult level. Sinful.

Both the views and the staff service are stellar.

awesome service, good food, expensive

awesome service, good food, expensive

Canlis Restaurant is located near the cities of Vancouver, Capitol Hill, Madrona, Madison Park, and Broken Arrow.
People found this by searching for: Canlis Restaurant Menu, Canlis Food Pictures, Canils, Canlis Restaurant/Brunch/Menu, Canils Restaurant, Canils Seattle, Picture Of Canlis Restaurant, and The Cache Canlis.

Mee Sum Pastry

Deli Shez Cafe

Coffee & Tea in Belltown

Palisade

Brunch in Interbay

Loves Canlis Restaurant (1)

nasser77

Savannah, GA

Wants to Try Canlis Restaurant (9)

Agy-38grer27c6abblkses