603-319-1575

10 Commercial Alley ( )

Portsmouth, NH 03801

Description: Cava Tapas and Wine Bar is a Spanish, Tapas, and Wines restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Spanish, Tapas, Wines, Dinner, Lunch, Gluten Free, Cafe, Pub Food, Mediterranean, and Contemporary
  • 2 dishes entered by diners at Cava Tapas and Wine Bar

Reviews for Cava Tapas and Wine Bar

Editorial Review by Gayot »

Cava Tapas and Wine Bar

Just what Portsmouth Needed!

I ate at Cava during their opening weekend and was impressed beyond belief! I was lucky enough to sit at the chef’s table where he personally cooked and served us. He also made suggestions for wine paring upon request.
The food was incredible and beautifully plated. The staff was professional, helpful and pleasant. I found the ambiance to be warm and chic.
I highly reccomend Cava and cannot wait to go back!

Add/Show Comments (1)

3.0

Great Food Great Wine WAY OVERPRICED

The girls and I have been waiting and waiting for a Tapas/Wine bar to open up in Portsmouth. We thought it was a dream come true.

I agree with the first comment that the food is great as is the wine, but that’s about it.

Unless they plan to survive on only the tourists they need to lower their prices. The location has seen many places come and go and needs the local support to survive. Most of us want to support the local businesses but the business needs to support the locals. We want to go out have a bunch of Tapas a few drinks and leave feeling full. While the food we had was good it was TINY. I spent $130 on 4 drinks and 5 Tapas and then we still had to go for a meal because we were starving. One example we had the figs stuffed with cheese wrapped in bacon, but there where only two and it was $8. Either put more on the plate or drop the prices. I have been to Cava twice and both times I have come away with a big dent in my wallet and I still feeling Hungry and Thirsty.

Sorry guys! Its a great idea, a cute location, but its not NY City so stop charging like it is. We want you to survive but we can’t help you do it if you don’t give us more for the money.

Good Luck! We will keep checking the menu to see if prices improve and if they do we will be there in a flash!

Add/Show Comments (2)

THIS IS THE BEST FOOD AND WORTH THE PRICE

My husband and I went last week…We don’t drink wine so we were a little hesitant in going but after seeing it on TV DINER and it won the Platinum Plate we decided to try it. IT WAS UNBELIEVABLE!! We travel all over the world and Cava and its staff were first class! so elegant and so international and so delicious…worth every cent! Everyone sitting around us joined our total awe and we were all so happy that we could experience such a cosmopolitan restaurant locally. Those who appreciate such delicious food should try it out.

2.0

good but overpriced

I liked Cava but it was very overpriced. I went there twice in in that two week span the prices had gone up.

scallops

good but i only got 2 scallops! i know its tapas but you shouldn’t be spending $80 dollars on several expensive tapas dishes to feel full.

4.0

Cava-Try it!

As dining out is my self-declared favorite hobby, my boyfriend and I spend the majority of our time together enjoying all of the restaurants that Portsmouth, NH has to offer. One of our favorites is Cava, a tapas bar hidden away down a cobblestone alley. This restaurant, although somewhat expensive, is a great place to unwind. The atmosphere is cool and tranquil, with a bar downstairs for larger groups, where we have seen the holiday parties from neighboring restaurants gather. The restaurant itself is decorated with simple yet affective accents, and practically sparkles with cleanliness, including the open-concept kitchen. With a nice selection of wines by the glass or by the bottle, one can sample the many imaginative (and delicious) dishes prepared by their chefs. Some of our favorites include the crab croquettes, the Lollipop lamb chops, the butternut squash soup with chocolate, and the flan to name a few. It makes for a wonderful evening to share a bottle of wine and two to three small appetizers for around $60. My only critique, or suggestion rather, for future diners is not to arrive at Cava with your belly empty unless your wallet is full. Their small plate menu is exactly that…small portions that will barely sustain the famished!

Cava Tapas and Wine Bar

Don't leave a coffee cup on the host stand my parents bought me

Last night, I went into Cava for a drink at the downstairs bar. After I ordered my drink the co-owner John Akar came roaring down the stairs yelling at me for leaving a coffee cup at the host stand. I apologized and told him that I inadverently left my cup outside. John raised his voice at the bar and said, “Do not ever do that again. I paid 500 dollars for that host stand.” He repeated this phrase three more times. The customers at the bar looked dumbfounded, one gentleman turned to me and said, “Is this guy serious?” In an effort to let John know that it was rude for him to treat paying customers like they were disposable I told him that I would not be coming back to his restaurant. At which point I was thrown out and told that he does not need customers like me. So if you are in downtown Portsmouth looking for a 15 dollar glass of wine and some shame head to Cava. If you want a relaxing enjoyable meal try one of our other wonderful restaurants in Portsmouth. I would suggest The Black Trumpet, Massimos. and Jumping Jays.

First Opinion

My friends and I decided to eat here on Saturday night because we’ve heard great reviews on the food (minus the fact that it’s really expensive).

The owner greeted us and let us know that the wait would be about 45 mins, since this place is pretty cozy. Since the bar was also fully occupied, the owner decided to place us at a standing table to have a few drinks. Normally this wouldn’t be a problem, except for the fact that the table is adjacent to the mens bathroom and a storage room that is used frequently.

After about an hour of being bumped into by people heading into the storage closet or the mens bathroom, we asked the owner when we were going to be seated. He said very soon. Great, except for the fact that we waited another half an hour after that. Not to mention, we were only able to get one drink because our waiter/bartender was busy.

Needless to say, we paid our tab at the standing bar and left. Not a great first impression.

Amazing Food

My wife and I have dinned several times at Cava and we are always impressed with the innovative menu, freshness, and the amazing flavor combination’s. The service is always prompt and friendly. For the ultimate experience reserve the Chef’s table. The cost to eat hear is all dependent on how many trips you make through the menu. It can bit a little pricey but it’s worth every penny. The menu is always changing so every visit offers a new delight to experience. If there’s a lamb dish on the menu, go for it, the lamb they serve is the best I’ve ever tasted.

ellensburg spring lamb loin berbere spice, cantaloupe, almond, mint

Lamb cooked to perfection with unique flavor combination. Simply perfect.

Cava in Portsmouth

Going to Cava was a very pleasant experience. The menu is very eclectic, the atmosphere romantic yet lively, and the service superb. The dishes are very creative. The menu includes imaginative creations (dates wrapped with ham), delectable dishes (foie gras on crostini), and creative pairing of scallops with fava beans.

scallops

Oustanding!

Cava Tapas and Wine Bar is located near the cities of Kittery, New Castle, and Kittery Point.
People found this by searching for: Cava Restaurant, Portsmouth N.H., Cava Restaurant Portsmouth Nh, Cava Portsmouth Review, Cava Portsmouth Nh, Cava Tapas Portsmouth Nh, Tapas In Portsmouth Nh, Tapas Portsmouth Nh, Spanish Restaurant Portsmouth, and Cava Portsmouth.

The Dolphin Striker / Spring Hill Tavern