773-935-6696

3411 N Halsted St ( )

Chicago, IL 60657-2414

Neighborhoods: Lakeview

View Hours
Description: Chicago Diner is a Vegetarian, Vegan, and Diner restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.
Tags: Vegetarian, Vegan, Diner, American, Dinner, Takeout, Lunch, Brunch, Health Food, and Crowded
  • 158 dishes entered by diners at Chicago Diner
  • 6 users want to eat at Chicago Diner
  • 2 users love Chicago Diner
Tips:
  • Try a peanut butter vegan milk shake or one of six organic wines and six organic beers.
  • For hard-core vegetarians, the menu clearly marks non-vegan dishes and lets patrons make substitutions, such as soy cheese in place of dairy.
  • Free parking is available in the adjacent alley Monday through Friday after 6pm, and all day on weekends.

Reviews for Chicago Diner

Editorial Review by Gayot »

2.0

too wild for my taste buds

After a long search for a veggie place to entertain a vegetarian friend from out of town, it was exciting to find the Chicago Diner: ranked one of the top vegan/veggie restaurants in the city. The dish I tried, unfortunately, did not live up to the diner’s name.

The diner itself is a cute, warm little place bustling with people. The service is great (very friendly for the newbies) and the menu diverse, offering meat substitutes and a fiesta of vegetables. The beef seitan, a type of “meat”, was a little dry and hard for me, but my meat-loving self may be prejudiced against meat-wannabes. On the plus side, portions are VERY generous.

If I return, I’d stick to the vegetable dishes. I appreciated a taste of my friend’s black bean burger and would have welcomed a trade.

And expect a wait. We arrived at 8:30p.m. on a Saturday evening to be greeted by a long line and a 30 minute wait – not bad for a Saturday night but chilly outside in the middle of January.

Grills Gone Wild

A mixture of napa cabbage, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, bok choy, and more, on brown rice, topped with grilled seitan and teriyaki sauce. The grilled seitan was all right, the vegetables were yummy, but the whole dish was doused in teriyaki sauce – its sweet taste was overwhelming. I kept looking for vegetables not covered in sauce and drank water to dilute the taste. Definitely too wild for moi.

Add/Show Comments (2)

A fun Vegan/Vegetarian Place

I love the Chicago Diner, the servers are always super friendly and I always delight in reading the menu and seeing what Chicago Diner is offering that day. I consider myself a pretty hard carnivore but I always love the dining experience at Chicago Diner. With their innovative specials, the diner offers the vegetarian version of all possible home comfort foods such as lasagna, meatloaf, even “chicken” fajitas. Even die hard meat lovers will be able to find something here that would satisfy them, if not, at least they would get a laugh reading the menu.

Scrambled Tofu Deluxe

I wasn’t too sure what the scrambled tofu deluxe would bring, but it was actually pretty good. The tofu was mixed with what seemed to be sunflower seeds and other good for you stuff – all and all it was pretty light and tasted pretty good. The corn bread that accompanied the scramble was a bit dry but the sweet butter that came with it helped mask the dryness a bit.

Middle Eastern Platter

I consider myself a hummus connoisser so I was a little worried when I noticed that the hummus was a bit watery my worries faded away once I bit into my hummus topped pita. The middle eastern platter was pretty standard – no complaints here

Where's the "beef"?

While there obviously isn’t any meat here (since it’s a vegetarian diner), you wouldn’t have guessed by looking at the menu. There are all kinds of meat dishes – BBQ “chicken” wings, Philly Cheese “steak”, nachos with “chorizo”, and so on. It’s an unexpectedly extensive menu.

Being a devout meat eater, I was pretty excited to see if I could find a decent meat replacement (for health reasons of course :P). After trying my dish and some of the others, I can say with certainty that my cholesterol will probably continue to be in danger. The ‘meats’ were a good attempt, but the taste and textures weren’t quite “meaty” enough for me. However, the food was good on the whole and if you’re a vegetarian, I definitely recommend the restaurant. The best part of the meal for me was the soy milk shake – tasty and easy on the stomach!

Future Burger

This one was more like a Gardenburger than replacement meat – a combination of different veggies compacted into patty form. It was filling, but lacked the taste I would hope for from a burger. The mac and cheese side dish was very good though.

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Soy Milkshake

Yummy! I can’t normally handle dairy so this soy milkshake was perfect. The chocalate chip flavor was noticeable but not too strong. A little pricey though at 6 bucks.

Nachos

Couldn’t taste much of the “chorizo” but the black beans were good.

3.0

homey veggie place in boystown

if you’re looking for a veggie/vegan-friendly joint, give chicago diner a try. located in boystown, this “diner” isn’t so much like what you might think when you think diner (i.e. 40s-50s style w/cushy booths & soda fountain bar) – it’s more a cozy, low-key place with a number of wood booths.

the menu is extensive, offering all sorts of “meats”. service is super friendly, ambience is more on the loud side, and the food is just alright.

although i probably won’t be returning here anytime soon (i’m a carnie), i would consider bringing a veggie/vegan friend here for breakfast/brunch.

Breakfast Burrito (new)

you get to choose egg or tofu as filler, and i did a mix of both, which was a nice combo. the soy cheese was kinda neat, but not much taste. comes w/awesome salsa, which made my burrito less dry to taste. this was good (not great), but i’d probably try something different next time.

Strawberry Smoothie

a ginormous smoothie that comes in a classic milkshake glass. tasted a little too water downed for me…i probably should’ve gone for the milkshakes, but i was trying to be healthy!

Great Vegi Food

This is a great small non pretentious vegetarian and vegan restaurant. They do it because they believe in it and not because it is a fad or trying to be trendy. With about 20 to 25 seats, the service is done with pride and the prices are right. There is a wide selection of dishes that will make even the mild meat eater sure they are eating meat dishes. You won’t find fake steaks or prime rib look alikes, but you will find a wide variety to please most open minded palettes. Great for brunch, lunch and dinner.

Taco Salad

This was an excellent dish, served in a huge flaky taco salad crust that was light and flavorful. I had the choice of vegan or vegetarian and choose the latter. The black beans and rice gave it great protein and the fresh organic lettuce and tomato added fantastic flavor and texture. The portion size was just right for a comfortable lunch. Would certainly have it again.

Add/Show Comments (1)

Chicago Diner

Well Worth The 6-Hour Trip (And The 30-Minute Wait)

Call me crazy, but this was one of the greatest eating experiences of my life! Well, at least since going vegan. I drove six hours just to see for myself if everything I’d heard about the Chicago Diner was true. It was. This little hole-in-the-wall was full of character. It was absolutely packed with an extremely eclectic crowd, and it was staffed with amazing and friendly servers… not to mention, the menu! Everything on the menu is vegan or can be prepared vegan! My only regret is that I wasn’t in town long enough to go a second time. I had the black bean and sweat potato quesadilla with spinach and Daiya cheese (and, of course, three margaritas). Awesome.

Fantastic, creative vegan fare

I fail to understand some of the other reviewers’ comments. Perhaps there are too many people writing who really don’t understand what it is to eat a vegan meal! The Chicago Diner is perhaps the best place in the country for creative, unpretentious, fresh and delicious vegan food. They do have cheese items, and eggs, but I always get the vegan stuff here because it is so phenomenal. Inexpensive, too! Their salads are absolutely amazing. Beautiful, fresh, abundant. Now that we live in the NY area, I really miss the opportunity to eat at the Diner, as we used to come here about once a week. If you go, be sure to try the Santa Fe Salad, the Rain Salad, or for a decadent brunch, the French toast or deluxe breakast platter. Everything is good, I am not a big fake meat fan, but you really cannot go wrong here. Service is generally very friendly and sweet, but you will occasionally have to wait for a table on a weekend day.

August 22, 2010

Good food. Service.. meh.

I just moved here from New York City. There are SOOooo many great vegetarian restaurants there. Here in Chicago, the choices are not so good. The fact that there are so very few choices, I think, reflects in the service there. I've gone…

June 23, 2010

Absolutely LOVE this place!!!

I recently switched to a vegan diet. After hearing the raves about this place I decided to visit about 2 months ago. After the first dining experience, I went back 4 times in 1 week. My children love the hot/BBQ "wings", the mac&cheese,…

Chicago Diner is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Chicago Diner Brunch Menu, Vegan Milkshakes Chicago, Chicago Diner Boystown, Chicago Diner Lakeview, Hearty Restaurant Restaurant, Chicago Diner Boys Town, 3411 N Halsted The Menu Veggie, Diner.In Lakeview Il, and Chicago Dinner.

Featured in Chicago