Chinatown Restaurant

Cuisine: Chinese, Lunch, Cafe

mcpong photo

Petaluma, CA

Bon Bon Chicken

I phoned in this order off the menu on Menuism. It is a dish I had in various restaurants in SF’s Chinatown over the years when Hunan and Szechwan restaurants first started opening in SF (early 1970s). It was called Chinese Chicken Salad and some Chinese names I don’t recall. I did martial arts with Kuo Lien-Ying in Portsmouth Square in San Francisco’s Chinatown. I went to Sifu (Master) Kuo’s 80th Birthday banquet and to other restaurants that he recommended. It was at these restaurants that I first tasted this dish. I never found it anywhere outside of San Francisco until I saw it on the online menu at this site.

The person who answered the phone tonight told me that no one orders this so it is no longer on their menu. However, she said that the family has it so if they had the sauce made up I could have it. They had the sauce (a spicy, peanut based sauce, similar to Thai peanut sauce) and I had my favorite dish for dinner tonight.

Maybe you will be lucky enough to order it on one of the days that the family has this. They call it Bon Bon Chicken. There are many other wonderful dishes you can try if there is no Bon Bon Chicken — from the sweet Orange Chicken to the spicy Mongolian Beef.

I recommend Chinatown Restaurant — it is my favorite Petaluma Chinese Restaurant. Enjoy a meal there soon!!!

Bon Bon Chicken

I don’t know if the online menu’s prices are up to date, but see above review of the Bon Bon Chicken. I put it over the steamed rice, but I had usually had it over boiled rice noodles in San Francisco.

Chinese Lunch Good for groups

Chinatown Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

• 03/25/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
Chinatown Restaurant is located near the cities of Lakeville.
People found this by searching for: China Town Petaluma, Chinatown Petaluma, Petaluma Chinese Resturants No Msg, Chinatown Restaurant Petaluma Menu, Chinatown Restaurant Petaluma Ca, Chinatown Restaurant Petaluma, Ca, Chinatown Restaurant Petaluma California, Chinatown Petaluma Menu, and Chinatown Restaurant Petaluma.