City Vu Bistro

2.0 rating over 1 review

616-796-2100

61 E 7th St ( )

Holland, MI 49423

Description: City Vu Bistro is a American, Bistro, and Eclectic restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: American, Bistro, Eclectic, International, Salads, Sushi, Takeout, and Good for groups
  • 4 dishes entered by diners at City Vu Bistro

Reviews for City Vu Bistro

• 1 review
  • First reviewed by KatyE
City Vu Bistro

2.0

Not what I was expecting

City Vu Bistro was recommended to my husband by a friend, and we were excited to try something new. The restaurant is located on the top floor of the City Flats Hotel in Holland. The decor is beautiful, modern, and spacious. We started with the Lobster & Crab Potstickers, and I have to say that they were fabulous. We were very happy with them, and we couldn’t wait for the main course. City Vu is apparently known for their flatbreads, and the menu is fantastic. So good, in fact, that we ordered three between us just because we couldn’t decide on only two. Even then, we had a hard time narrowing it down to the Seared duck breast, mole’, red onion, goat cheese and scallion fb, the four cheese and tomato sauce fb, and the roasted chicken, artichokes, roasted garlic, white sauce & white cheddar fb. Sounds good, eh? That’s what we thought. The problem was, it was all pretty much tasteless. The meats were dry and unseasoned…as though they’d been thrown under a broiler and forgotten until the timer went off. The use of the goat cheese was much too sparse, which was unfortunate, since it would have made up for some of the flavor lacking in the rest of the dish. I’m not sure where the white sauce was, because the chicken flatbread was quite dry altogether. The 4 cheese fb was probably the best, but even it was dry, bland and boring. We probably would have been happier with a cheese pizza. At least it would have been more moist. We thought we’d be going home with flatbread left over, but we decided it wasn’t worth taking home. It’s a nice idea, and nicely presented, but in the end I want it to taste good.
We decided to have dessert, partly because we wanted to end the evening on a high note, and partly because the hazelnut creme brulee sounded amazing. Wrong again. The custard was so thick and dense that it almost reminded me more of a soft cream cheese spread (consistency) than a custard. I could have cut it into neat portions with a knife. And there was no hint of hazelnut flavor…just kind of a mild, milky vanilla flavor. I couldn’t even get through half of it.
There is more to their menu than flatbreads, and since the potstickers were so good, I’d probably be willing to try something else, but only once. There are too many good restaurants to keep returning to one that is all style, no substance.

Seared Duck breast, Mole', shaved red onion, goat cheese and scallion flatbread

The duck was dry, the mole’ was thick and overwhelming, and the goat cheese was too sparse. Overall, dry and bland.

Roasted chicken, artichoke, roasted garlic, white sauce and white cheddar flatbread

Chicken was dry and unseasoned, white sauce was unnoticeable, and artichokes were too sparse and dried out. Overall, dry, bland, and a major disappointment—it SOUNDS so good!

Parmesan, mozzarella, white cheddar, fontina and tomato sauce flatbread

This was okay, but the dry herbs detracted from the flavor, rather than enhancing it. This reminded me of a dry cheesy bread from a pizza joint.

Crab & Lobster Potstickers with Dipping sauce

These were fabulous. Moist, flavorful, and good chunks of meat. Yummy.

Add/Show Comments (1)

City Vu Bistro is located near the cities of Beechwood.
People found this by searching for: City Vu, City Vu Holland Mi, City Vue In Holland Michigan, City View Restaurant In Holland, City Vu Bistro Menu, City Vue Bistro, and City Vue Bistro Holland, Michigan.

I.T. Menu Validation