262-785-9463

15 South Moorland Road ( )

Brookfield, WI

Description: Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant is a Wine Bar, Contemporary American, and Gluten Free restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Wine Bar, Reservations, OpenTable, Contemporary American, Healthy Choices, Gluten Free, Wine Served, Winery, Brookfield Square, and American
  • 19 dishes entered by diners at Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant

From OpenTable:

Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurant combines modern, casual dining with award-winning, handcrafted wines. Our menu features fresh contemporary-American fare infused with flavors from around the world. From appetizers to desserts, each dish on our menu is listed with a bin number to help guide you to your selection’s perfect wine match. In addition to dining, Cooper’s Hawk offers a full-service bar, private party spaces, and Napa-style tasting room with specialty gift store, where guests can enjoy sipping and sampling wines in a traditional winery setting. Sourcing the highest quality grapes from the best vineyards around the world has earned Cooper’s Hawk a growing list of more than 200 wine awards. Most recently, Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurants was selected as “Hot Concept 2010” winner by Nation's Restaurant News and MenuMasters winner for the category of “Menu Trendsetter” in 2013.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant

Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant

Great food, and even better wine!

I had been to Cooper’s Hawk twice before, and decided to go again with a group of girls. They have quite an extensive menu, and even a Life Balance menu, which offers smaller portions and lower calories. They also have a great wine selection, and offer samples of the wine to try, before deciding on ordering a glass. I decided on the baby greens salad, and caprese flatbread. Our food came out very quickly, and everything looked, and tasted delicious. Portions were very generous. We passed on desert, however, and a few of us took advantage of the wine tasting after dinner. There were two options of wine that you could try. For $7 you sample the standard bottles of wine, or for $12 you could sample the Lux versions, plus get a truffle to try with your wine. The three of us decided on the Lux tasting. We were given a menu and sampled at our pace. I tried the dark chocolate cheesecake lollipop for my chocolate, and it was fantastic. They also have a wine of the month club, which I am enrolled in. You can pick between just getting white wines, just reds, or you can get both and they will alternate between reds and whites each month. With the wine club, you earn points for every purchase and for every 350 points you earn, you will be a $25 certificate to use there. The wait staff was great, and the bartender serving us at the wine tasting was great. It was a fun night, and I will be back!

Chain, but not a chain

Nice addition to the Milwaukee dining scene. Although part of a small chain of winery restaurants, it is an unusual enough concept and well crafted food that it stands out. As it is a winery restaurant, all wines served are from their winery. They even have a wine club, so if you like their wines, then this really is a good deal.

Upon entering the establishment you run smack into the gift shop/bar/sampling room. It makes for a bit of chaotic mess during the holiday season on a weekend night. My understanding is that the first four wine samples are free and can be arranged as a flight.

They have both a gluten free menu and a Life Balance menu (under 600 calories and mindful portions). Next time I’m there I’ll seriously consider the Life Balance options since this was over all way too much food.

The waitstaff was excellent and bent over backwards to accommodate our 5 person table’s constant questions. We left him a good tip.

Do ask for samples of wine.

Our table seemed to think the deserts lacked a wow factor.

Overall, I thought the hype and cost did not match the meal and value. And despite the huge menu, there are only a couple options for vegetarians, whereas they have whole menus for gluten free and diet conscious diners. There were a few nice elements (wine club, well executed food, excellent service) but for the lack of vegetarian options and inconvenience of getting too (despite being just off I-94) I can’t rate it 5 – I doubt I’ll be back.

Sweet Chili Calamari

1st off, this appetizer was HUGE! Could easily be split by 4-5 people. Tempura battered calamari was piled high with a sweet chili aioli drizzled over the top. The calamari was tender and not over cooked. The combination of flavors and preparation made for a nice change to the traditional Milwaukee calamari scene. The overall taste and texture was reminiscent of orange chicken. Don’t know why, but it was unanimous agreed once finally named.

Roasted Eggplant Ravioli

“Slow-Roasted Vegetable Ravioli Stuffed with Eggplant, Squash, Zucchini, Red Onion, and Mozzarella Cheese. Served with Artichokes, Kalamata Olives, and Goat Cheese in a San Marzano Tomato Sauce”

Nice flavor, well executed. Surprised it was the only vegetarian option.

Wine Tasting and Superb Food

Walking in the front door – the Wine Tasting Room greets all visitors. What a fun way to start the meal. There is no charge for tasting up to 4 wines. The staff was very helpful explaining all the different wines.

Prices are reasonable. The gift shop had lots of fun gift ideas for the holidays.
Did I mention — they also have a wine club!

Filet medallions

For an appetizer I tried the Chicken Stuffed Mushrooms – just the right amount of heat. I really could of made a meal out of this.
For a salad — I had the baby green salad with candied walnuts, dried cherries, blue cheese, sliced pears with a rasberry vinaigrette. It had just the right amount of sweetness without over powering the greens.
For main entree — I had their special – 2 beef medallions, salmon, asparagus with Mary’s mashed potatoes. The beef was melt in your mouth Angus. I took home one of the medallions and had it the next day — it was just a good.
My only complaint was the waitress didn’t clear off the dirty dishes fast enough from the table.

3.0

Location. Location. Location.

The first thing to know is that this is a chain restaurant. The good thing about chains is that the dishes are the same wherever you have them. The bad thing about chains is that all too frequently the dishes while good are nothing to write home about. I am afraid that Cooper’s Hawk Winery & Restaurant lives up to the chain reputation.
Upon entering the restaurant you are immediately greeted by a mini-shop with handmade chocolates and wine accessories. In the same room is tasting room where you can select from the list of predefined flights of wine. Or if you’re the adventurous type you can arrange your own flight by selecting any four wines from the menu.
I will totally give them kudos for the wine flight arrangement. They include a placemat that lists the wines you taste. This makes it easy to remember which wines you might like to purchase to take home. I will also mention that it is most impressive that their wine list includes 40 wines. They also have an expansive martini list. We were able to sample the wines we might be interested in prior to ordering a glass. Whoever came up with that idea is a genius. As you are more likely to order a flight if you taste two wines that you enjoy.
I ordered a flight that included the San Giovenese, The Merlot, The Meritage, and the Barberra. Of the four wines the Barberra was my favorite. The Meritage was relatively nice. The Merlot was average. And the San Giovenese was just not my taste. It was Cru in bad way.
We ordered and appetizer of Calamari. The calamari was breaded in a tempura batter. A sweet chili aioli was drizzled over the top. A fellow diner mentioned that it tasted like orange chicken. And I have to agree. It tasted like orange chicken. I don’t like orange chicken. I like my calamari lightly breaded and fried with a light crisp. I am still debating the Aioli. I like the chili light heat but I thought it was a little to sweet for my tastes.
For dinner I ordered the Thai Chicken Flatbread and Pesto Chopped Salad. The Pesto chopped salad with dressed lightly with shaved Parmesan on top. It was my favorite dish.
The Thai chicken flatbread was dressed in a sweet Thai dressing. While the chicken and flatbread were tasty the dressing was just plain overkill. I would recommend skipping the Thai sauce and just ordering the flat bread with grilled chicken.
Our server was very attentive and delivered everything we asked for within minutes. This was impressive as we were a demanding group. I think he made no less than 20 round trips between the bar, the kitchen, and our table.
Bottom Line..Would I dine there again? Yes, conditionally. I would order the Pesto salad and just add a chicken breast. If I were at the mall or in the Brookfield area I would stop in to taste a flight.

Thai Chicken

I liked the crust and the chicken. But I found the Thai dressing to be too sweet.

Pesto chopped Salad

This salad was perfectly dressed and contained just the right amount of Parmesan curls. I would suggest ordering with grilled chicken. With grilled chicken this would be a satisfying meal.

Nice option

We love wine, but don’t tend to like a lot of local wines too much, not b/c we are hoity-toity, but more dry wine drinkers and only like certain wines.

We found that both the red and white wine flights were very good. Out of the 8 tries, there was only one we didn’t overly care for. We had appetizers that were terrific and the featured homemade truffle that was to die for.

What I more liked is it wasn’t stuffy. We did the tasting at our pace.

We will try the Lux level wines upon our next visit and we did join the 1 bottle a month club as we can either accept the one that is featured or trade it in for what we want. Seemed like we couldn’t lose.

Mexican Drunken Shrimp

We had several appetizers instead of an entree and this was terrific.

Add/Show Comments (2)

New classy restaurant

This restaurant is relatively new here (opend less than one month ago). This was my first time – I found the people and service to be fantastic, the food was fabulous and the atmosphere fantastic – when you first come in, you are in the winery portion – free wine tastings!

Filet medallions

We ordered as medium rare, but only the center was pink – the sides and the au jus / horseradish was wonderful.

4.0

House wines and large menu

Fun place to get Cooper’s Hawk blends of many fine wines. Large menu had something for everyone including a light menu section.

Thai Lettuce Wraps

Large appetizer enough for 4 to share. Fresh veggies and chicken that was a little dry . The cucumbers had little flavor but I guess when you mixed in your choice of 3 sauces, one savory and two a little sweet, you make it what you want.

Ahi Tuna Tacos

Four mini tacos with peices of fresh ahi tuna and slaw with salsa, crema and avocados was a tasty combination. Wasabi cream on the side was a bit strong for me.

Cooper's hawk on a Tuesday Night

For a Tuesday I thought it was very busy, which is good for them,not as good for you. It took us almost 2.5 hours to complete our meals and leave. It was also very loud with the larger crowd.

Chicken Madeira

The dish was very tasty and did come with 3 nice size pieces of chicken, but I thought they skimped on the asparagus which was too bad. It came with a side of Mary’s Potatoes which were good but again a small portion.
I started my meal with the Tortilla Soup which was excellant, and ended it with a slice of key lime pie, which was just so-so.

4.0

Next time I come, it's going to be 100% appetizers!

This place has great food and excellent service (thanks, Kerry P.)! I’d been here before and our group started the evening with a few appetizers that were amazing.. This time, our group picked a few that we hadn’t tried before. While the entrees were good, I’m coming back to do 100% appetizers (they were all that good)!

Crispy Shrimp

I am a textural eater… I love contrast. This appetizer was great… crunchy, firm sweet with a kick. Loved it!

Mexican Drunken Shrimp

Hmm… maybe pass and go for the calamari next time.

Special: Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie

We did get the right thing (we even asked) but no one picked up on any peanut butter flavor in this…

Customer focus

Three of us attended Coopers Hawk last night for the first time. We had planned to arrive early and do wine tasting, and then eat dinner.

I was unable to make reservations at the time we preferred, as they were booked, so the lady I called suggested showing up and putting our names on the waiting list right away. We got there at 6:30 and put our names on the list, and were given a pager. We were told the wait was running 60-90 minutes.

We enjoyed our wine tasting and lingered over it – it’s 7.50 for 8 tastes, or you can have 3 tastes for free. Having still not been paged an hour later we decided to have a drink and appetizer at the bar. Another hour went by and we thought we better see what happened to our table.

Turns out our pager was broken and all attempts to page us had not made it go off. The host was mortified, and sat us immediately. Two of us stated we had tipped the barman but hadn’t paid for our items there yet. The host said he would move the tab over to our table, and he brought our remaining food and beverages.

Our waiter, Robert, was excellent – perfectly attentive without hovering. Our meals were very good, and we were able to substitute rice for potatoes, for example, without any fuss. They encourage you to try different wines and will bring you a little taste to make sure you like it before you order a full glass. Portions are generous for food and wine.

When the bill came it was much lower than it should have been. I think the host felt bad and must have comped our bar tab.

Bottom line: Despite the snafu with the pager I felt very welcomed and treated as an honored guest. I appreciate their efforts to provide what we want how we like it, both with food and wine. (They have a full bar as well.) This attitude sets Coopers Hawk apart from most other establishments.

I would definitely go back. I gave them a 4 this time instead of a 5 only because we told the hostess we would be tasting wine, so when our pager failed she should have been able to physically see us standing there 20 feet away. That aside, everything else was quite pleasant.

Tips: Try the almond sparkling! Even if you’re not generally a bubbly drinker, I bet you’ll be pleasantly surprised.

If you want to buy wine by the bottle, make sure to do so in the tasting room. It’s about 10 bucks cheaper than in the restaurant. You can even buy in the tasting room and they’ll cork it for you in the restaurant.

Seared ahi tuna dinner

Excellent. Why people would ever want it with potatoes and not rice I have no idea. I had it with rice and it was fabulous.

Cheese appetizer

18 with wine flight (oaked chardonnay, white zinfandel, malbec/petit verdot blend)

The cheeses were pretty good. None of us cared for the peppercorn cheese, but I liked the rest of them. Presentation was a bit sloppy. I didn’t find the wines paired well at all. You’re better off getting wines you like separately. Still it’s a decent cheese plate.

April 21, 2012

We have had the best experiences every

We have had the best experiences every time we have dined at Coopers. The food and wine is fabulous and the staff is very friendly!! We love this place!

Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant is located near the cities of Elm Grove.
People found this by searching for: Cooper's Hawk Brookfield Menu, Healthiest Food At Coopers Hawk, Cooper's Hawk Menu Brookfield, Coopers Hawk Brookfield Menu, Cooper's Hawk Restaurant Brookfield Wi, Coopers Hawk Menu, and Cooper's Hawk Brookfield Square.

Link to Cooper's Hawk Winery & Restaurant