310-317-0777

21150 Pacific Coast Hwy ( )

Malibu, CA 90265

Neighborhoods: Eastern Malibu

Description: Duke's Malibu is a Hawaiian, Casual dining, and Seafood restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Hawaiian, Reservations, OpenTable, Casual dining, Seafood, Brunch, Buffet, Kid Friendly, Sunday Brunch, and Romantic
  • 112 dishes entered by diners at Duke's Malibu
  • 2 users love Duke's Malibu

From OpenTable:

Duke's Malibu restaurant and Barefoot Bar sits perched on the water's edge just four miles north of Sunset Boulevard. Dressed up or down, you'll feel welcome at this ocean front restaurant. With over 300 feet of picture windows out to the Pacific, Duke's boasts one of the longest oceanfront sites on the west coast. You'll experience the spirit of Aloha here from the crashing waves, Hawaiian influenced cuisine and the genuine friendly service that is Duke's signature. You are invited to relax and take in the endless ocean views while enjoying the freshest seafood and premium steaks, each uniquely prepared and thoughtfully served.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for Duke's Malibu

• 4 reviews
  • First reviewed by elspie

Editorial Review by Gayot »

Quiet, relaxed, romantic

Duke’s is named in honor of Duke Kahanamoku, the father of surfing, and was begun in Hawaii. The food, as well as the laid-back atmosphere are as authentic as it gets! At dinner, it’s “nice casual” dress; for lunch, you’ll be fine in jeans. They also serve a glorious brunch buffet on Sundays.

The Barefoot Bar is very popular with singles and young couples, and their drinks are all wonderful. Don’t miss their mai tai!

Though the bar is usually buzzing with youthful energy, the dining room is pleasantly quiet and relaxing. The decor reflects its Hawaiian roots, with plenty of surf memorabilia. The entire wall facing the ocean is glass and the views are incomparable on a clear night. Seagulls land on the rocks outside the window; their antics are often quite amsuing. On weekend nights, you will be softly serenaded by a strolling ukelele player with a lovely crooning voice. Be careful, though, his sidekick may try to get you to stand up and hula with him!

This is not an inexpensive meal, though not exorbitant (last time I picked up the check there, dinner for 3 adults and a kid, with 3 cocktails was $140), but sooooo worth the price. If I remember correctly, the menu is a la carte.

Coconut Shrimp

Sweet, juicy shrimp, coated in tender coconut, quickly fried, so the crust is crunchy and golden, but the shrimp aren’t overcooked. The fruit salsa that comes with it is grounds for a food-gasm!

Mahi Mahi

Fresh, firm, perfect! Any way you have it prepared, it’s heavenly!

Hula Pie

Hula pie was invented at a Hawaiian restaurant called Kimo’s, and it’s legendary. Think mud pie made with the richest macadamia nut ice cream you can imagine (the very same ice cream Kimo’s used for its Hula pie)! No matter how full you are, order a piece and have at least a couple of bites. The pieces are pretty big, and are plenty for 2 people. I’ve shared a piece 4 ways before, and no one complained!

Add/Show Comments (2)

Duke's Malibu

This place is a casual delight. An institution in the Ha...

This place is a casual delight. An institution in the Hawaiian/California mold. Excellent crab appetizer; great brunch; and to-die-for Mud Pie for dessert. Sitting in the barefoot bar (I liked it better when it was sand, but now it’s concrete which I guess is cleaner) outside and watching dolphins swim on possibly the nicest stretch of beach in the continental U.S. is pure heaven.

3.0

casual, fun, waterfront Hawaiian dining

i came here for the first time for an early dinner, to catch the oceanviews and sunset over the weekend after spending the day at the getty villa. the restaurant is enormous and sits right on the shore, giving excellent views of the Pacific. having dined at a handful of places in oahu, the atmosphere at duke’s is very much remniscent of hawaii. the parking is mandatory valet ($4).

Duke’s has 2 parts — a festive Barefoot bar area and a quieter, larger sit-down dining area. We sat in the dining area, in one of their cushy booths facing the ocean. Our server was casual, brisk yet professional. Our dishes came out similarly lickety quick…which raised an eyebrow or two about freshness, but overall, wasn’t terrible but nothing to write home about. The portion sizes are large and I definitely made 2 meals out of my fish plate although my husband finished his rib plate without problem. If you’re looking for a light, healthy dinner, this isn’t the place to go. I don’t think I would come back for dinner just because the food quality is mediocre given the prices, but I would like to come back to try brunch and enjoy a tropical drink or two with the relaxing oceanviews.

Mahi Mahi

For the fish dishes, a handful of fish options are available, and you get to select how you would like your fish seasoned. I chose the sweet & sour lilikoi option (seared with lemongrass over pineapple slaw, with passionfruit sweet & sour sauce). The mahi mahi reminded me of a cooked tuna consistency so…a bit too much on the chewy/drier side for me. (I prefer fish more tender and juicy). I ordered veggies on the side, and aplenty they were. All in all, a rather mediocre dish for me. I would venture to try something else next time.

chocolate cake

This may be harsh, but I think I could have made a better dessert at home. It made me think of Betty Crocker’s cake in a box. Only it’s been a few days out and you microwave it to heat it up. Not something I plan on ordering again. I’ll have to try Hula Pie next time.

Fishermans Chowder

I’m a sucker for chowder soups so I couldn’t resist this one. I split it with my husband, and the serving size for me alone was a meal in itself. Not too watery or thick, but just the right amount of chunkiness and creaminess to make it enjoyable.

Beach Boy Daquiri

The beach boy daquiri is passionfruit juice and strawberries blended with light rum. being +1, i had to have my daquiri virgin, but it was still refreshing, sweet, and delicious. i definitely would have another if i had the room.

-1 0

Great food. Great service.

Great food. Great service.

People found this by searching for: Dukes Malibu Menu, Duke Malibu Brunch Price, Duke's Malibu Brunch Price, Duke's Malibu Buffet, Duke's Malibu Menu Prices, Malibu Hawaiian Restaurant, Eastern Malibu, and Hawaiian Restaurant Malibu.

Geoffrey's