858-483-9758

4676 Clairemont Mesa Blvd ( )

San Diego, CA 92117

Neighborhoods: North Clairemont

Description: El Cotixan is a Mexican and Latin American restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid less than $10, and tipped less than 15%.
Tags: Mexican, Cheap, San Diego, Latin American, and Takeout
  • 11 dishes entered by diners at El Cotixan
  • 1 user loves El Cotixan

Overall: 100%

Reviews for El Cotixan

• 3 reviews
  • First reviewed by shaomai

Great, cheap Mexican food

El Cotixan is the epitome of college food – cheap, large portions, heavy on the meat, open 24 hours – the exception here is that it’s actually really GOOD. I love the carne asada burritos… I’ve tried other things on the menu, but I always come back to this one. It’s a massive burrito — about 2.5-3" in diameter, and about 9" long, for a measly $3.75. Unlike your typical burrito, it’s stuffed completely with carne asada meat, guacamole, and pico de gallo… no rice and beans here! Their spicy sauce is also fabulous. If you order to go, they’ll dump about 5 little dixie cups into your bag, if you sit in the restaurant, they have squeeze bottles you can take with you to your table. I usually squeeze sauce on with every bite, so the availability of lots and lots of their spicy sauce is a big thing for me. If burritos aren’t your thing, their carne asada quesadillas or nachos are great as well. I just love this place because it is so meat-heavy!

The restaurant opened a secondary seating area, so there’s usually plenty of seating. When I first came here my freshman year of college, it was pretty dirty, but it seems like they’ve really cleaned up their act.

carne asada burritos

heavy on the meat and guacamole, great sauce… i love it!

4.0

Just like we're across the border...

This joint was a constant during my college career at UCSD. Its popularity has noticeably increased over the years, for whenever I get a chance to visit SD, there are always lines out the door.

If you’re reading this and have had coti for all three meals in one day, drop me a line…we need to start a club.

California Burrito

carne asada, pico de gallo, cheese and potatoes…who comes up with this stuff??

Machaca Burrito

what goes well with pulled pork in a burrito? how about some eggs! gotta try.

Carne Asada French Fries

This safety dish will be a delight to everyone.

Lunch Burrito

More like a breakfast burrito…pass on the beans.

3.0

The Whole Enchilada

I love Mexican food. I’ve eaten a lot of it over the years and can’t ever recall eating really bad Mexican food. Yeah, sure, there’s good Mexican food and there’s superb Mexican food, but I can honestly say that I’ve never eaten any that was simply awful. Maybe I’ve just been lucky, or maybe San Diego just excels at creating delicious, mouthwatering Mexican food. But then again, I even appreciate Taco Bell and Del Taco. And for those of you from the Covina area, in Los Angeles County, I absolutely love Snap E Tacos, which is a little tiny place on Vincent Avenue that time hasn’t touched in forty years, thank goodness.

I would have a difficult time if I was ever in a voting contest tasked with trying to choose the best Mexican food in San Diego, but I have some favorites and El Cotixan is one of them. El Cotixan is one of several in a chain of restaurants that are owned by the same folks that own El Portal. The restaurant on Clairemont Mesa Blvd. is open 24 hours a day, which is good if you happen to be coming home from a late movie or concert, but I’ve mostly dined there during lunchtime, with Ms. Omnivore, who also likes it.

One of the things I like about El Cotixan is the fact that they don’t use lard in their beans, a good sign for us vegetarians. But even though the beans are lard-free, they’re delicious. I’ve eaten many a bean burrito in this fine establishment. They also have really good salsa, three kinds. One is a red chile based salsa, one is a green tomatillo based salsa, and one is a mild red salsa with tomatoes and onions and cilantro. The spicy carrots are also pretty tasty, although they’re very hot. Unlike some places, that have carrots in the salsa bar, you have to order these separately, but they’re worth it.

I went there a few days ago and ordered cheese enchiladas. The combo plates are huge, and in my opinion, big enough to share between two people. I usually eat half there then I take the other half home. The enchiladas , which contain a mixture of cheddar and jack cheese, come smothered with a red sauce that tastes more like mole than just regular old red chile based sauce. It’s tangy and spicy and mildly sweet and very addicting. It pairs really well with the ooey gooey cheese. Then it’s topped with a pile of shredded lettuce. I really enjoy the combination of cold crisp iceberg lettuce mingling with hot melty cheese and spicy sauce. It’s one of the few places where iceberg lettuce, as opposed to the fancier lettuces such as romaine, green leaf or butter lettuce really works well, although a good wedge salad with bleu cheese dressing is also nostalgically nifty. I could probably eat cheese enchiladas every day, except for the fact that I would probably die of a heart attack within a year. But I’d die with a smile upon my face. I can see the obituary now: Kardamom requested to be rolled up in a big tortilla and dunked in sauce, instead of having a traditional burial or cremation. I apologize for the Pico de Gallows humor.

Another plus for the vegetarians is the fact that El Cotixan makes excellent potato burritos and potato tacos. For those of us veggies who used to appreciate a good crispy taco back in the day, these potato tacos will take you back to that place without all of the guilt and soul searching angst.

Ms. Omnivore and I have been known to share a huge plate of Cotixan’s nachos deluxe— hot crispy, salty chips topped with beans, cheese, sour cream and guacamole. It’s a dish that’s probably meant to serve four, but the two of us have managed to finish it off, albeit with regrets later, but we always end up ordering it again. It’s really good and really messy. The nachos can also be ordered with carne asada or pollo asada piled on top, for those with extremely big appetites.

I don’t see these listed on their online menu, but I’ve often ordered criollas at El Cotixan, which are, essentially, quesadillas made with corn tortillas instead of flour tortillas. You get three criollas in an order, very messy, but so delicious when dunked in salsa. Just make sure you have lots and lots of napkins.

One of the best things in life, culinarily speaking, is a good breakfast burrito. El Cotixan whips up five different varieties of breakfast burritos with different mash-ups of eggs, beans, cheese, Mexican sausage, shredded beef, bacon, potatoes and carne asada. But the best thing about them is the fact that they are served 24 hours a day. A big old breakfast burrito is often the only thing that will satiate in the wee hours of the morning, especially after an evening of dancing the night away at a good concert at Humphrey’s, House of Blues or Brick by Brick. And thanks to El Cotixan, we aren’t doomed to Denny’s.

Bean and Cheese Burrito

A big delicious bean burrito with lard-free beans and just the right amount of tangy cheese

Cheese Enchiladas

Probably the best cheese enchiladas at any of the local Mexican takeout joints. The tangy, spicy and slightly sweet sauce tastes more like mole than regular chile sauce.

Nachos Deluxe

A massive plate full of crispy chips topped with beans, cheese, sour cream and guacamole. You can add pollo asada or carne asada if you aren’t a vegetarian, that’s called Nachos Supreme

Criollas

Three corn quesadillas. Just enough for a snack.

Breakfast Burrito

A huge flour tortilla filled with scrambled eggs, beans and cheese. A joy to behold.

Potato Taco

A perfect crispy potato filled taco that conjers up memories of meat filled tacos that I enjoyed before I became a vegetarian. They don’t taste like meat, but they’re hot, crispy and tasty and topped with shredded cheese and lettuce.

Add/Show Comments (3)

February 19, 2012

El Cotixan

On a scale of 5.Service 4Price 2Ambiance 2 Food 5One of the better mexican spots I eat at.

El Cotixan is located near the cities of Hillcrest, Coronado, and Old Town San Diego.
People found this by searching for: El Cotixan Menu, Cotixan Menu, Cotixan Clairemont Mesa, Cotixan Clairemont Menu, El Cotixan San Diego, El Cotixan, and El Cotixan San Diego Menu.

C8fkzq470r37z8eje7crdf-taquerias-le-cotixan-80x80