323-267-8668

812 N Evergreen Ave ( )

Los Angeles, CA 90033

Neighborhoods: Boyle Heights

View Hours
Description: El Tepeyac is a Mexican, Breakfast, and Caribbean restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid less than $10, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Mexican, Mexican Cuisine, El Tepeyac, Los Angeles, Manuels Special Burro, Breakfast, Caribbean, Good For Kids, and Takeout
  • 132 dishes entered by diners at El Tepeyac
  • 3 users love El Tepeyac
Tips:
  • Go on a cheap, fun date that shows your local savvy. Look lovingly into each other's eyes over the $12 Manuel Special burrito--the two of you probably won't even finish it.
  • Belly up to the counter, where there's always a seat. Warning: You can't move from the counter to a table.

Reviews for El Tepeyac

QB

Editorial Review by Gayot »

3.0

One Dish Quickie at El Tepeyac

There’s just something I love about fried eggs, especially when it’s fried to the point that the white edges are browned and yet the yolk still retains some of its liquid gold. Sometimes a fried egg sandwich on lightly buttered toasted bread is all I need for a satisfying meal. Why all the egg talk? When it comes to dining out, I always seem to drawn to dishes that feature fried eggs, whether it’s fried quail eggs on scallops or fried eggs on pizza.

So when I was out with friends to dinner at El Tepeyac, a restaurant icon in East LA, I had a hard time deciding what to order. Finally, something finally caught my attention and made my palate say “Ole!” Do you know what that was? Well, it certainly wasn’t taquitos.

My one dish quickie at El Tepeyac were the Beef Enchiladas topped with Fried Eggs. When I finally got my order, I looked down and then I immediately looked around to see who’d be willing to share this dish with me. It was huge, but so were a lot of the other dishes ordered by my companions. I was definitely on my own.

Fork in hand, I cut into egg and enchilada and was happy to see the yolk gushing out. My first bite was delicioso. Granted, your doctor probably wouldn’t recommend a steady diet of melted cheese, beef and eggs, but for that moment, I didn’t care.

Now is this the best enchilada I ever had, even with the fried egg? Probably Not. Would I go out of my way to return to El Tepeyac just for this dish? Not really. But for that moment, it was tasty, filling and hit the spot. Of course, whenever I go to into a Mexican restaurant in the future, I just might have to see if the chef would be willing to take a special request – fried egg on enchilada, anyone?

Amazing

Be sure to come here with an empty stomach. You get more than your money’s worth and a delicious, authentic Mexican meal. You can’t go wrong.

Burrito Chile Verde

Outstanding chile verde sauce

4.0

A Bario Classic haunt

The Food, Get the “Manuals Special”,
will feed a whole table.
The super-sized Manuel Special, a wet burrito with rice, beans, guacamole, chili and pork, could feed an entire family. items abound the menu- but burritos are El Tepeyac’s raison d’etre.
The guacamole and chips are good.

I have been going here since 1967, and food prices up, quality down.

There is something about standing outside a hole in the wall, with 20 other people, waiting for a table!
Parking even with a Lot is ?
The blend od "will my car be vandalized or ripped off if parked here ~ leds to What??? Atmosphere!!!

Hard to find this, so this place then becomes an adventure !
Not sure how to rate adventures, but this is Classic!
Used to be served shooters at counter in old days from Manuel, but things do change!

Manuel Special

February 9, 2013

I was planning to take the family and pulled up the menu but no pricing. Why? do they have something to hide or is it so overpriced that they do not show pricing? Decided not to go for this reason....

May 12, 2012

The Best!

They are the best, cheap & fresh as always :D

El Tepeyac is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: El Tepeyac Restaurant, El Tepeyac Restaurant In East La, Tepeyac Restaurant, Menu For El Tepeyac, Tepeyac Boyle Heights, El Tepeyac Los Angeles, El Tepeyac Menu, and El Tepeyac.

Nearby Restaurants

Resendiz Bakery

Bakeries in Boyle Heights

Link to El Tepeyac

El Tepeyac  Restaurant Reviews

Overall:  90%  Food:  85%  Service:  66%  Ambiance:  100%
Pros
  •  "Fast service & real good food"
Cons
  •  "None"
Comments
  •  "Need one in Louisiana "