262-628-1111

1298 Friess Lake Rd ( )

Hubertus, WI 53033-9417

Description: Fox & Hounds Restaurant is a Lunch, Breakfast, and Kid's Menu restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Mineshaft, Wifi, Dinner, Lunch, Good for groups, Breakfast, Kid's Menu, Outdoor seating, Good For Kids, and Continental
  • 3 dishes entered by diners at Fox & Hounds Restaurant
  • 1 user wants to eat at Fox & Hounds Restaurant

Overall: 92%    Food: 93%    Service: 93%    Ambiance: 93%
Pros

• "Price, quality of food and atmosphere"
  • "Once we were served . Server did not return tell meal was done . Only gave us the bill and returned with change . We wanted to have drinks and would of liked to have water refilled . Food was good but service SUCKED . Hope we don't get her when we "
  • "Great area good food"
Cons
  • "Waiting for a table "
Comments
  • "Your not getting a lot in the way of fancy plates and crystal. You do get a really good meal at a good price in a really cool setting"

Reviews for Fox & Hounds Restaurant

3.0

Reinvented Fox and Hounds

It’s been many years since I last dined at this restaurant. Located in the Holy Hill area the fall colors were gorgeous on the drive up. The restaurants atmosphere is the same I remembered; low ceilings, more of a log cabin feel,cozy fireplaces,smaller dining rooms which is nice.

I was with a large group that stopped for dinner after a play. The restaurant handled our 150 person group without a hitch. The restaurant was really busy — considering it was a Thursday night but might have been due to the new specials. Buy one get one Sun-Thurs. That is a bargin. They are drawing the crowds in for sure.

Deep Fried Shrimp

The mixed green salad was well presented and lots of flavor.

The main dish came with baked potato, 5 generous shrimp and veggies of beans, small corn, carrots.

Desert was a slice of marble cake.

I thought overall the meal was good. Even with our large group; the dinner service was flawless. Our entrees came hot. Food temperature can be an issue with large groups.

I would like to go back and try their steaks —can’t beat the special!

Add/Show Comments (1)

Wow... wow!

This place has it all… ambiance, charm, fascinating history, great service, wonderful food, friendly bartenders, cozy setting (I counted at least four fireplaces throughout the various dining rooms), gorgeous location… even the drive out to this place is an experience. Nestled in the shadow of Holy Hill and originally built as a hunting lodge, Fox & Hounds is a diamond in the rough. And you can’t beat their prices… select entrees are two-for-one (after 4:00pm, Saturday through Thursday). After dinner, go exploring… learn about the history and enjoy the live music downstairs; go upstairs where you get the feel of a true hunting lodge; and in your wanderings, see if you can’t find the fox (I found several hounds, but only one fox). Do yourself a favor and check this place out!

Thanksgiving Buffet

I have to admit that I lower my expectations slightly when eating at a buffet. Well, shame on me… Fox & Hounds certainly knows how to do it right! Everything was piping hot, fresh and tasted phenomenal, from the cranberry stuffing to the skin-on garlic mashed potatoes to the nice, thick slices of turkey (and if you know me, you know that I usually think mashed potatoes are a waste of space). And the desserts…! One pastry chef does it all, and she starts at 1:00am. If you are a diabetic, no worries… she had a nice variety of tasty treats just for you! I highly recommend Fox & Hounds buffet for any holiday occasion.

2.0

Goliath's Twin

Looking around the rustic charmed building, I knew I was home. The fresh smell of hardwood floors, years of down-home cooking, and exceptional service permeate every pore of this building. Without even opening my eyes, I knew where I was. I was in a building that I had visited many times before. although this time, something was different. My surroundings were the same but there was something unfamiliar and foreign to me in that setting. While I was sitting there enjoying my Leinie’s Weiss brew, I tried to think of what was so different. The unique charm of each individual dining room was still there. The moose head and bear skins were still hanging on the walls just as I had remembered it when I was young.

So what was it. Well it wasn’t until the following day that I identified what made this dining experience different from my previous. It was the personal touch that a family owned restaurant has with it’s patrons. Since being taken over by the behemoth restauranteurs that own the Mineshaft in Hartford, the Fox and Hounds has become the little brother of the Mineshaft. Following in the big brothers footsteps, the little brother has picked up some bad habits. Trying to be similar in every way, the New Fox and Hounds has so many of the same qualities that the selective diner has come to know and hate. From the scripted servers, staff scavenging off of the leftovers on the buffet line, paper napkins and advertisement placemats, the Fox and Hounds has moved from a thriving country restaurant to a clone of it’s brother who lives in downtown hartford. Efficient, clean, fast passed, and business-like, the food was nothing special and reminded me of the mess-hall style cooking you see in the WWII movies. Now someone would say by now, “well surly you must admit the the prices are much better than they were before making the restaurant more appealing to the middle class.” And I would have to agree. But the buffet they had was close to 12.00 for a senior and goes up in price from there. Our meals with beer, buffet, and tip totaled over 60 dollars for three adults. I also could have really done without the staff members hovering around the buffet just waiting for my table to finish eating, and my waitress asking us if we are done with the hot food so they can swoop in and take it away. I left slighted, and I left hurt that day. A time out with family should be an enjoyable experience, and instead, I left the New Fox and Hounds Restaurant feeling like I just left a McDonald’s Corporate Board Meeting.

In the end, I guess I was hoping for something that has been long forgotten in the corporate world of big box restaurants. I had hoped for an experience of old era long forgotten by the restaurant industry. Taking my parents out to a nice restaurant is a rare occasion for me, and the paper napkins, small menu selection, tacky placements, and settling for a buffet breakfast at the Fox and Hounds immediately convinced me that the Newness of Fox and Hounds is not a newness that I do not want to be a part of.

Breakfast Buffet

December 1, 2013

Our party of 10 ate at the Fox & Hounds on Saturday evening. The place was packed. The line to the front desk was out the door. If this place is as bad as some of these reviews, they wouldn't have such a huge following. Each of us had a…

October 21, 2013

We ate at the Fox & Hounds tonight, we arrived early 4pm. I had the steak and lobster $36.99 and my husband had the porterhouse $32.99. The lobster was stringy and the steak was so tough it was hard to cut and even harder to chew. My…

December 11, 2012

I am astonished by the reviews posted here.\r \r I was just thinking about what to gift for the holidays and thought about Fox N Hounds gift certificates since my husband and I always enjoy dining there.\r \r We haven't tried the Prime Rib…

Fox & Hounds Restaurant is located near the cities of Richfield.
People found this by searching for: Fox N Hounds Restaurant, Fox And Hound Restaurant Wisconsin, Fox And Hounds Wisconsin, Fox & Hounds Restaurant Wi, Fox Hound Restaurant, Fox And Hounds Restraunt, Fox And Hound Wisconsin, and Fox And Hound Restaurant.

Nearby Restaurants