Gator Joe's

12431 SE 135th Ave
Ocklawaha, FL 32179

Cuisine: Seafood

Gator Joe's is a Seafood restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid less than $10, and tipped less than 15%.

Overall
Pros
"Sunset"
"e.g. apple pie, fast service, kid-friendly, etc...key lime pie the best"
Cons
"Took over an hour for our meal to arrive on a non busy weekday. Food was awful and over cooked. No manager came out to speak with us. Our waitress barely made any communication with us. We walked out after a bite of the crap called fried fish. I'll never "
rednecktek photo

rednecktek

Ocala, FL
Gator Joe's 2.0

What happened!?

Let me start off by saying this used to be one of my favorite places to go for a semi-cold beer, good food and a relaxing sit-back on the deck. I don’t know what has happened, but someone has made some seriously detrimental changes.

For a friend’s birthday this week, I suggested we go here. Big mistake.

I have ordered “shrimp and oyster po’ boys” for as long as I’ve been going there (a LONG time). When I placed my order, I was told I couldn’t have it that way.
Coming from a restaurant background, you never tell a customer they can’t have something, you find a way to make it happen. Somebody should tell their staff.

Because I didn’t want to cause a scene I found a combo item on the menu and asked if she would bring me that plus bread on the side and I would make my own. Second mistake. They delivered garlic bread and no lettuce and tomato knowing full well what I intended to do with the bread. Needless to say my meal was a catastrophe. I spent the next several minutes repeating my request for veggies.

We had 12 people with us that night, their reviews were between “unimpressed” and “I probably won’t come here again.” I have to admit, it will probably be quite sometime before I go again myself, if ever.

On the plus side, their oysters on the 1/2 shell were very fresh and tasty. But they really should clean the shell a little better before they shuck them. Now that I think about it though, given their service level, the oysters are probably not worth the chance.

2 Item combo

small helpings of the item barely allowed me to create a single sandwich. Buy a Po Boy instead, just eat the filling and save $4.

havinfun247 photo

havinfun247

Lady Lake, FL
Gator Joe's 1.0

Dont waste your time in this place

Took some friends from out of town to gator joes May 23, 2010. Just went there to eat and get something to drink. Trying to find a parking space was a pain like always. When walking up we were asked if we were going to drink we said yes they said its 5 dollars to get in. So we paid $20 before sitting down to order. We asked the host if that is normal she said it started today. We asked so other people that said they didn’t pay. The guys had gator joe orange shirts on that collected the money .So sitting around the whole meal feeling like we were scammed out the $20 dollars. And we were told a manager was to busy to talk with us. The fried seafood tasted like over fried shoe inserts. So by the time we left i was so pissed i asked the guys who collected the money what was up with the $5 charge? They responded if i didn’t like it don’t come back. And that is exactly what i will do. And you better believe i will never speak a kind word about this shack with a nice view.

neinas21 photo

neinas21

Summerfield, FL
Gator Joe's 1.0

Disappointed

I ordered the fish basket — their #1 seller. The fish was so overdone I only tasted crisp burnt batter. Nothing like the fish dinner I ordered on my first visit a few years ago. The atmosphere is pleasing, however, with the lovely views of the lake.

Fish Basket

The fish can’t be tasted. It’s so overcooked, only a few morsels of fish appear amongst burnt batter.

WalterP photo

WalterP

Ocala, FL
Gator Joe's 5.0

Great Time

I visited Gator Joe’s in June 2008 with a large party and had a wonderful time. I found the staff to be very polite and the live music under the back Tiki Bar was awsome.

I order the Fish basket and it was way more than I could eat, and was served quick and cost under $10.00.

I could sit on the back Tiki and watch the sunset, along with my children playing in the lake.

I will go back soon!

Fish Basket

Large portion and good flavor

Seafood Dive Dissapointment

Gator Joe's  Restaurant Reviews

• 03/14/2013 - A diner tried it and liked it.
  • 07/22/2013 - A diner from Richmond, VA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 07/25/2013 - A diner from Leesburg, FL tried it.
  • 02/11/2014 - A diner from Saint Petersburg, FL tried it and liked it.
  • 03/03/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it and liked it. They liked the food.
  • 05/20/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, didn't like it, and rated it 1 star. They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.
  • 07/07/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, didn't like it, and rated it 1 star. They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and didn't like the ambiance.
  • 12/01/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
    Pros: 'e.g. apple pie, fast service, kid-friendly, etc...key lime pie the best'
  • 12/27/2014 - A diner tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 03/14/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it and liked it.
  • 03/20/2015 - A diner tried it, didn't like it, and rated it 1 star. They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and liked the ambiance.
    Pros: 'Sunset'
    Cons: 'Took over an hour for our meal to arrive on a non busy weekday. Food was awful and over cooked. No manager came out to speak with us. Our waitress barely made any communication with us. We walked out after a bite of the crap called fried fish. I'll never '
  • 04/19/2015 - A diner tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 05/10/2015 - A diner tried it.
Gator Joe's is located near the cities of Eastlake Weir and Candler.
People found this by searching for: Gator Joe's, Gator Joe's Weirsdale, Gator Joe's Restaurant, Gator Joes, Gator Joes Weirsdale, Gator Joes Weirsdale Fl, Gatoror Joes Restaurant, Gator Joe's Weirsdale Fl, and Gator Joes Restuarant Weirsdale,Florida.