Gioco

1312 S Wabash Ave
Chicago, IL 60605-2599

Neighborhoods: South Loop
Cuisine: Romantic, Brunch, Italian

Gioco is a Romantic, Brunch, and Italian restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

tulips500 photo

tulips500

Gioco 3.0

disappointed

i had high hopes for gioco as it’s in the south loop not too far from where i live, but everything from the food to the service was just mediocre for dinner. i haven’t been back since for lunch/dinner, but i did give it another go around for brunch (after reading some good things), and it was actually quite tasty and decently priced.

globug2 photo

globug2

Chicago, IL
Gioco 5.0

One of my favs

I’ve been here many, many times. Just this past weekend, I went there for brunch for the first time…and still they have yet to disappoint. I’ve tried their appetizers, pastas, other entrees, desserts, cappuccinos, cocktails, french toast…everything is delicious. Plus, their wait staff is super friendly and wonderful.

Also interesting to note…the back of the space used to be an old speakeasy and the front of the restaurant was previously Al Capone’s florist.

Beet Carpaccio

My favorite…I get it every time. Thinly sliced beets, frisse salad, and truffle oil. Delicious!

Blood Orange Tart

This is a special, it’s not on their regular dessert menu, and I’ve only had it only once…but I still think about it.

justin photo

justin

Gioco 4.0

Good brunch

I’ve been here before for dinner and wasn’t too satisfied by the value, but I wanted to give Sunday brunch a try since I’ve reviews saying that brunch was better than dinner. After finally getting a chance to try it, I’d have to agree – the brunch is better than the lunch/dinner. The prices are all pretty reasonable (around $8 a dish) and the food was good. The frittata’s, while relatively flat, had fluffy egg and the roasted potatoes were very tasty with lots of garlic flavoring. The best part is that there’s no line for brunch so if you’re tired of waiting in line at Bongo Room, Yolk, or Orange, then just head over to Gioco.

Today it was bacon and squash - Frittata Al Forno at Gioco

Frittata Al Forno

Today’s special was bacon and squash with fresh mozzarella which was a pretty nice combination – some meat and not too heavy.

Brioche Alla Francese at Gioco

Brioche Alla Francese

Large sized chunks of french toast stuffed with banana – good, but could have used more flavor in my opinion.

dinalew photo

dinalew

Washington, DC
Gioco 4.0

The homemade pasta was great. The vibe felt trendy, but ...

The homemade pasta was great. The vibe felt trendy, but still comfortable as a ‘neighborhood’ kind of place.

Gioco 5.0
July 13, 2010

Excellent Experience

2nd time here in two years. Both times were fantastic. Food, service and setting are outstanding. We have decided to make this a regular stop when we're in Chicago.
Gioco 1.0
May 18, 2010

BEWARE

I was here recently with family and the food was fine. I might be giving Gioco a better review if this post was prompted by food alone (see other posts for rave reviews of the Italian cuisine). My experience was ruined when my purse was…
Gioco 2.0
April 3, 2010

I think we're done w/ Gioco

We've been to Gioco numerous times, and last night was our last. I've had better pasta from Trader Joes. The chefs antipasto choice plate was a joke-who puts two piles of speck and prosciutto on a plate with piles of whatever with it and…

Romantic Brunch Italian
Tips
  • Going to a play? Show the parking valet your ticket and get free parking, plus a free chef's choice appetizer. The offer is valid 5:30pm-7:30pm nightly; be sure to mention the offer when you make your reservation.
  • Parties of 20 to 40 can hang in the intimate "Speakeasy," which features high ceilings, mahogany-accented walls, and exposed brick.
Thu 11:30AM - 02:30PM
Thu 05:00PM - 11:00PM
Fri 11:30AM - 02:30PM
Fri 05:00PM - 12:00AM
Sat 05:00PM - 12:00AM
Mon-Wed 11:30AM - 02:30PM
Mon-Wed 05:00PM - 10:00PM

From OpenTable:

Gioco pioneered the retail development of the South Loop when it opened in September of 1999. The restaurant has been a mainstay in the neighborhood as other restaurants and stores have opened up over the years. Gioco is located in an historic building built in 1890 and is one of the few remaining buildings in Chicago from that era. The Gioco space features the original old brick and plaster walls, an old wooden walk-in cooler and a walk-in safe built into the wall, used by the Chicago gangsters (Al Capone, Frank Nitti, George "Bugs" Moran and Earl "Hymie" Weiss ) for one of the gambling and/or brothel houses that dominated the area in the early 1900s. Designer Jerry Kleiner designed Gioco restaurant to retain these old world elements and to feature them in his modernization of the space.
Cuisine:
Gioco's menu offers rustic Italian dishes prepared with the finest available seasonal products. The menu features homemade pastas and wood-fired thin crust pizzas.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Gioco  Restaurant Reviews

Gioco is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Gioco Yelp, Gioco Menu Restaurant South Loop Chicago Wedding Luncheon, Pasta South Loop, Gioco South Loop Menu, Gioco Menu, Gioco Restaurant, Gioco South Loop, and Gioco.