323-934-4400

7360 Beverly Blvd ( )

Los Angeles, CA 90036-2501

Neighborhoods: Mid-Wilshire

View Hours
Description: Grace is a Contemporary American, American, and Tapas restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go, paid more than $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Contemporary American, American, Tapas, Fine Dining, Casual Elegant, Reservations, Third St., La Brea, Fairfax, and Beverly
  • 24 dishes entered by diners at Grace
  • 6 users want to eat at Grace
  • 1 user loves Grace
Tips:
  • The banquettes along the east wall offer respite from too-bright track lighting, and table 60 in the back room affords dual bench seating.
  • Use the $4.50 valet to avoid the parking situation on Beverly and restricted surrounding neighborhoods.
  • Reserve the back room for parties--curtain it off for privacy.

Reviews for Grace

Editorial Review by Gayot »

4.0

I'm super-grateful for Grace...

Our group dinner at Grace during the extended dineLA period this past fall. I decided to splurge for the 5 course tasting vs the standard 3 course dineLA deal upon realizing that there were just too many things that I wanted to try. Here’s what my tasting included:

- Course #1: Potato crisps, smoked trout caviar, cured salmon, creme fraiche, frissee – a bit small, although wonderful combination with the creme fraiche contrasting the brine-y flavor of the caviar and salmon. And how can you not like a potato crisp?

- Course #2: Tagliatelle, braised short rib, guanciale, artichokes, portabello mushrooms, San Andreas cheese: I often don’t like pastas with heavy meat in the sauce, but this was wonderful. The short rib meat and guanciale was finely chopped and so each bite had a good balance of tagliatelle, meats, vegetables, cheese etc. This was also my first time trying guaciale, which is unsmoked Italian bacon made from the pig ’s jowl or cheeks and typically has a stronger flavor than pancetta but a lighter texture.

- Course #3: Dover sole, braised endive, celery root puree, sea beans, shellfish (lobster and shrimp) nage – nicely prepared fillet with delicious sauce

- Course #4: Wild boar, brussell sprouts, herbed yukon gold potato, spaetzle, violet mustard sauce – I had only had wild boar one other time in my life, and I couldn’t really remember what it was like, so I selected this dish. And wow, this was fabulous. The wild boar was so tender yet rich. The violet mustard sauce (which I had never had before either), was incredible. Sweet, earthy, yet elegant, it combined beautifully with the boar’s rustic flavor.

- Course #5 (dessert): Salted caramel doughnuts w. bourbon pecan ice cream: This dessert required a $5 supplement, but after hearing about the amazing doughnuts at Grace, I decided to give it a go. Well worth the extra expense, as these were the best doughnuts I’ve ever had. Freshly made, warm, moist, and not too sweet. Perfect way to end a great meal. (Anyone wanna join me for their doughnut nights?)

Service was excellent, very attentive and our waitress was great about describing the dishes in detail. We did ask a few things about some of the dishes that she didn’t know off the top of her head, and she promptly went and asked the chef about it to provide us with the necessary information. Definite thumbs up for that.

In total, with tax and tip, the dinner cost me $89 ($65 for the five course tasting, plus the $5 for the doughnuts, plus tax and tip).

Grilled Tenderloin Of Wild Boar

This consists of wild boar, brussell sprouts, herbed yukon gold potato, spaetzle, and violet mustard sauce. Wow, this was fabulous. The wild boar was so tender yet rich. The violet mustard sauce (which I had never had before either), was incredible. Sweet, earthy, yet elegant, it combined beautifully with the boar’s rustic flavor.

Salted caramel doughnuts

These were the best doughnuts I’ve ever had. Freshly made, warm, moist, and not too sweet. Perfect way to end a great meal.

4.0

Full of Grace, eh?

FYI, I came in to try the $38 Blackboard Eats special prix fixe menu. So my experience may be different from the usual Grace dining venture. The food alone is worth 5 kick ass stars, but the service was meh. I had a stellar week, and I wanted to treat myself out to an awesome meal. (Am I the only one who does solo dinner treats?)

I found parking on Beverly with a ‘FAIL’ meter, so that was a great start – saved myself $5.50 from valet. w00t! I thought I was off to a roaring start, but there was a slight damper. I don’t think any high caliber restaurant should ever make a patron feel awkward for dining solo. There is absolutely nothing wrong or pitiful about that. I dine with friends often, but sometimes, I just want to eat and enjoy the food in solitude. Unfortunately, there were periods when I felt uncomfortable. I never experienced that at other restaurants in the city, but there were times when I felt like I was intruding. Perhaps it was an off night or Grace is simply unused to solo guests, but I didn’t dig it. That’s the only reason I can’t give Grace a perfect score. Maybe if I bring company, it’ll be different.

The host seated me promptly and I was given both the BBE prix fixe menu and regular Grace menu. I, of course, opted for the former. While waiting, I ordered darjeeling tea. It came with a cute honey container and metal dipper.

The meal was fantastic. Haute couture homey comfort food? You betcha:

1) Roasted Kobacha Squash Soup: Toasted pumpkin seeds and pomegranate seeds gave it a nice bit of crunch, contrasting against the velvety smooth texture.

2) Grilled Sonoma Lamb: Medium grilled sonoma lamb accompanied by thin slices of roasted vegetable. It was nom-nomtastic. Meat was tender and juicy, and the veggies were excellent sides.

3) Seared Market Pear: By the time dessert rolled around, I was really full. The pear had a slight savory and sweet taste, with bitter notes at the first bite. It was like it had a hard time making up its mind and I didn’t know if I liked it all that much. But the buttermilk ice cream and pastry sandwich was delicious! Light and flaky, it was a satisfying end.

Service was great. Servers came by at the right moment to clear away plates, refill my glass with water, replenish bread, etc. It was smooth! I paid about $60, including tip and tax (I tipped a bit more since the prix fixe was considerably less than what was listed on the original menu).

3.0

There but for the Grace of LA go I

Although I’ve only lived in LA for less than a year, I’vealready eaten at Grace three times. Not necessarily because Grace is the best restaurant in town, but because it’s got that great balance of reliably good food, well presented, with enough irreverence and cheekiness to defray some of the haughtiness that comes along with fine dining.

I don’t really remember what I had the first time I ate at Grace, but I recall that the dining room was gorgeous; the service gracious and attentive, but not overbearing; the presentation always lovely; and while trendy, it’s not unbearably so.

Weirdly, I ate at Grace twice last week – once on Wednesday, once on Sunday.On Weds., I was attending a conference at the Rennaissance Hollywood Hotel, and needed to take a business colleague somewhere impressive, but not budget-busting; and also, relatively close-by. (On Sunday, I already had plans to join friends for the “Dine LA” special menu).

On Weds., I tried Grace’s anniversary tasting menu:
-Grilled Local Calamari & Octopus, with pickled watermelon and Persian mint
-Sautéed Day Boat Scallop
-Bacon Wrapped Saddle of Rabbit
-Braised Colorado Lamb Shank
-A Doughnut Retrospective (strawberry, “The Elvis,” butterscotch)
This cost $55, with optional wine pairing for an additional $35 (which I didn’t do, as I’m not a wine person).

I wasn’t unduly impressed by the grilled octopus, although it was just fine. The scallop was really just an amuse bouche, not even an appetizer, but was delicious. The bacon-wrapped saddle of rabbit was rich, flavorful and nicely presented.

The lamb shank was an unexpectedly generous portion – so big that I couldn’t even begin to eat it, and had them wrap it up, uneaten. After all, I wanted to save room for the doughnuts! (After reheating it for lunch later, I found it to be tasty, but a little too rich/fatty for me).

The doughnuts are indeed yummy, but they’re not quite as phenomenal as their reputation would have you expect. It’s really the fillings that are unique and special – butterscotch was lip-smackingly good, the “Elvis” is peanut butter and banana (not a combination I typically favor, but still good), and the fruit one was good, if unmemorable. The doughnut itself tastes pretty much like any other doughnut.

As for Sunday’s meal: Because I’d just had a delicious $55 tasting menu, I didn’t get why the “Dine LA” special menu was a whopping $45 more (I’m used to specials being cheaper than usual, not pricier). So I skipped the intended Wine and Dine tasting, and settled instead for a $20 truffle burger with fries, and a $6 “milkshake,” Spanish latte flavor.

The burger, perfectly good but unmemorable, did not particularly taste of truffles, and I felt that the $20 price tag was fairly hefty. The milkshake was really creamy, yummy and refined, with a delicate flavor of cappuccino. I didn’t mind paying $6 for it.

I ordered a cup of regular coffee at the end of the meal, and to my surprise, I received a stunning polished-silver press-pot caraffe, all to myself. (I later realized that they don’t “do” single cups of coffee at Grace, so they charged me for a whole small pot). It was delicious coffee, and the presentation made me feel like a queen.

Let’s see, what else: I’ve always been able to find parking on the street immediately past the restaurant on the left. It’s a residential neighborhood, so not a huge problem. So I wouldn’t bother with valet parking, unless you’re in a huge hurry or it’s a Saturday night or something.

I’ve never been to Grace on a Friday or Saturday night, and perhaps it’s line-out-the-door stuff. But Grace has always seemed a little empty on the three occasions I’ve been there. Perhaps it’s had its day in the LA sun, as nothing about this restaurant is so original (or affordable) that it would engender all that much repeat business….. yours truly being the somewhat rare exception.

Gourmet hamburger

Good, but really pricy

February 2, 2011

Nice time in Grace!!!

I went with my girlfriend to have a romantic candle light dinner. The dinner was more than I expected with lot of fun and felicity. The food was awesome and dishy which I never had it before. The service was excellent and professional. I…

February 18, 2010

Superb

It's worth the money people. I had the salmon which was divine, and my husband had a slow-roasted, smoked pork shoulder (or something like that).. whatever they did to it was amazing. Service was excellent - wine suggestion was spot-on. …

November 24, 2008

Best Restaurant in Los Angeles

This is a San Francisco restaurant in Los Angeles. The sommelier is knowledgeable and accessible, the servers are attentive, not intrusive, know the menu and wine, the ambiance is intimate, the food is delicious, the menu is diverse and…

Grace is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: 4 Star Restaurants With Entrees Under $30.West Hollywood California, Grace Restaurant, Grace Restaurant In La, Grace Near 90036, Grace Mid Wilshire, Grace, and Grace Beverly Blvd Los Angeles.

Loves Grace (1)

Listed On

My Restaurant Rotation by Monijim

Dishes: Doughnut Wednesdays

My Restaurant Rotation by DanaScroggins

Note: A favorite place to over indulge

Dishes: Pork Belly!