828-322-1904

46 3rd St Nw ( )

Hickory, NC 28601-6135

Description: Hickory Station Restaurant is a restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Downtown and Hickory Downtown Restaurants
  • 3 dishes entered by diners at Hickory Station Restaurant

Reviews for Hickory Station Restaurant

Excellent

I liked this restaurant so much I was inclined to write a review for the first time ever on a restaurant experience.

I first came to this place to simply get a pint of Guinness. You walk in and see the bar with 20 beers on tap, and a fresh bakery to your left. To the right is the rest of the restaurant. We sat at the bar and the bartender handed us a double sided menu for their beer. I was in heaven! The beer menu has a couple classics, but offers a wide range of NC-brewed and other craft beers.

The beer menu is updated weekly.

The Hickory brewery is right behind the restaurant, too. It’s very neat.

I tried the food the third or fourth time I went to get a pint, and I was completely impressed. We figured it would be typical pub food, but the appetizers on the front caught my eyes with a scallop dish. The prices are great for what you get. The mozzarella is made in the house, and the bread comes from the attached bakery.

I had the prosciutto sandwich, with a side of chocolate jalapeno chili. Even the tomatoes on the sandwich were good! My boyfriend had the bratwurst with a side of bacon brussel sprouts. It was a foot long, thick, and on a house made pretzel roll with spicy sauerkraut. Each were $8.

I spend more on beer than I do dinner! Some of the house specials are $15+ for a meal, but I am sure it is worth it.

The bartenders are always nice and happy to talk to you. If I didn’t live an hour away, I’d be there three times a week.

Prosciutto

Fresh, soft mozzarella, tangy, bright red tomatoes, arugula, with a pile of salty, thinly cut prosciutto on top of a soft fresh baguette. I had it with a Lost Coast Apricot Wheat beer.

Hickory Station Restaurant

Refreshing escape from fried food capitol of NC!

Second time of dining was yesterday evening. The food is so fresh, the ambiance just wonderful, whether dining inside or out; obviously the new “in” place as first time we had to wait an hour…Last evening, 7/6/13, walked right in at 9:15 p.m. Wonderful friendly waitstaff, wonderful and knowledgeable people at the deli/order station; incredible bread. Baked daily. For those relocated Northerners, a dream come true. The BEST proscutti; and Italian deli meats and cheeses and I purchased a POUND of marinated totally FRESH artichoke hearts. The dessert selection is incredible; and tastes the same. This will become a weekly destination. Unbelievably fresh food and incredible waitstaff. LOVE IT 5 STARS PLUS!

Lasagna

Light, luscious, delicious

2.0

Not impressed.

We dined here twice. First to simply check it out. Second… to give it another chance. We might have saved our money.

While the food is mediocre, the service was horrible. We had a new waiter, a big mistake for the owners to use inexperienced wait staff on a new restaurant, and the kitchen was “unprepared” (according to the waiter – verbatim). Another quote: [He] “didn’t want to upset them by asking again.” Yes, really. Service was glacially slow. Had to ask for refills and eventually handed our dirty plates to the waiter who seemed unaware they needed to be removed. Presentation was haphazard. Fortunately the ambiance was adequate, and a storm was blowing in, so we were entertained with those gigantic window views.

But the sting in this restaurant is the inexperience. My salad was bone dry, and when I asked for dressing, it came, but my dining companion was finished with her meal before I could start mine. The same with the butter I asked to accompany the bread I bought in their in-restaurant shop (as they didn’t serve bread with the salad). But when the bill arrived, I was charged 25 cents for the dressing, and 50 cents for the butter (25 cents per pat)!!! Even Wendys provides extra dressing at no charge. This dressing was not “extra,” but rather necessary.

What they lack in service and food, they mitigate with a good location, passing trains, great views, and an urban atmosphere – what some of us in Hickory really crave. Hopefully improvement will accompany time, and I can imagine a better experience with better service.

If you do try this restaurant, you might consider bringing your own condiments. Or more money.

Grilled Chicken Salad

Grilled Chicken Salad means lettuce is grilled along with chicken, so it comes out droopy and black, as in over-grilled. Either lacking in any dressing, or simply not enough and not on the chicken. Chicken was tasty, but very dry. Parmesean cheese was tiny flakes, and did not appear or taste fresh. Size of dish is good; perfect for lunch.

Should be 2.5 Stars, not 3.

Hickory Station Restaurant is located near the cities of Long View.
People found this by searching for: The Station Hickory Nc, Hickory Station Menu, Hickory Station Restaurant Hickory Nc, Olde Hickory Station Restaurant, Train Station Restaurant Hickory Nc, Old Hickory Station Restaurant Hickory Nc, Hickory Station Restaurant, Depot On Tge Union Square Hickory Nc, and Old Hickory Station Restaurant.

Youssef 242
Highland Avenue
Viewmont Diner

Link to Hickory Station Restaurant

Hickory Station Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

Overall:  75%  Food:  73%  Service:  86%  Ambiance:  86%
Pros
  •  "Loved it friendly staff beautiful atmosphere and yummy food"
  •  "None our order was lost. After one hour late. Complained. And food. Appeared. It was cold. Would. Have. Been b good. But not cold. Manager. Made. It. Right. Did. Not. Charge. Us. Our. Night was wasted"
  •  "I ordered the chesse plate and it was terrible 11.00 for a piece of parmesan chees which shouldn't I've been on a cheese platter very hard to eat and it only had a touch of the sauces but the manager informed us that they were post office that&#39"
  •  "The menu is awesome. We can't wait to go back and try something else. The food was delicious."
  •  "None"
  •  "Not only was the service exceptional, but the food was fantastic. Apparently they make their own bread and sausages. I would HIGHLY recommend going out to try this one. It was utterly fantastic."
  •  "Looks nice. Lots ofstaff. "
Cons
  •  "No cons"
  •  "Lost order. Poor. Service. Food. Came. Out. Cold"
  •  "None"
  •  "All"
  •  "Loud.Noisy.We were 1of only3 tables in restaurant. No waitstaff noticed our table until I waved high over the booth."
Comments
  •  "Great experience "
  •  "I will try again. Manager. Made. Things right. Waitress. Was rude"
  •  "Good intent, high interest, please fix the acoustics."