773-489-1747

1747 N Damen Ave ( )

Chicago, IL 60647

Neighborhoods: Wicker Park

View Hours
Description: Hot Chocolate is a Chocolate, Gastro Pub, and Organic restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.
Tags: Chocolate, Delivery, Wicker Park, OpenTable, Reservations, Gastro Pub, Organic, Good for groups, Takeout, and Contemporary American
  • 118 dishes entered by diners at Hot Chocolate
  • 2 users want to eat at Hot Chocolate
  • 2 users love Hot Chocolate
Tips:
  • Choose from five different tempting hot cocoas, from creamy white chocolate to a "black & tan" with one-third hot fudge and two-thirds medium hot chocolate, all served with house-made marshmallows.
  • You'll have an easier time getting a table on weeknights, but the time to see and be seen is during weekend brunch, when the pretty people of Bucktown flock here for Segal's warm cinnamon doughnuts with homemade raspberry preserves.
  • During the summer, the restaurant will run a lemonade stand out front.
  • Choose from five different tempting hot cocoas, from creamy white chocolate to a "black & tan" with one-third hot fudge and two-thirds medium hot chocolate--all served with house-made marshmallows.
  • Valet parking will be offered during the evenings only.

From OpenTable:

Welcome to Mindy’s HotChocolate Restaurant and Dessert Bar. While we know that you have many dining choices, we wholly commit ourselves to exceed your expectations in all areas of your dining experience.

From the moment you walk through the front door, it is our goal to provide you with an atmosphere that is comfortable and relaxed with exemplary service and an evolving array of high-quality, seasonal and locally-sourced food, drink and pastry.

We constantly search for new and exciting purveyors, ingredients and presentations. Through our network of artisan farmers and friends, we are able to connect the producer to the consumer and provide a uniquely enjoyable dining adventure.

Whether it is a casual lunch, a leisurely weekend brunch, a delightful dinner or a late night dessert rendezvous, HotChocolate continues to be one of Chicago’s most unique dining destinations.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for Hot Chocolate

Editorial Review by Gayot »

3.0

expensive desserts

i came here w/a group of friends for some late-nite sweet tooth indulgence in bucktown. the decor is minimalist modern, very trendy, and dimly lit w/overtones of chocolate browns & oranges — definitely puts you in the mood for anything & everything chocolate.

we had to wait some time for a table to open up (unbelievably crowded), but this small dessert destination accommodated our large party of 5.
there was a nice mix of groups our size, and couples-on-a-date sharing an intimate dessert.
most everyone here was dressed-to-impress.

as for the food…although tasty, wasn’t wowing, especially given the prices. you’re most certainly paying a premium for the fancy-shmancy dessert presentation & style, and trendy ambience.

i only came for dessert, but i’m told they also serve regular entree dishes.

warm brioche donuts

tasty, but small serving size

3.0

Hot Brunch at Hot Chocolate

I recently had the pleasure of finally dining at Mindy Segal’s acclaimed restaurant Hot Chocolate. I didn’t go for dinner or the late night bar scene, instead I went for there Saturday afternoon brunch after an intense workout.

There was lots of yummy choices to opt for, but I chose to do the Lox and Bagel plate and my partner chose the Market Scramble.

We both ordered coffee, which was nice and tasty and came in individual french press carafes. Other drinks that seemed to be popular that morning were the Grey Goose Bloody Mary, as well a mimosa made with Champagne and Pear Liqueur in lieu of orange juice.

The place was plenty crowed with friends catching up on a Saturday afternoon and the atmosphere was loud but you could still hear your dining companion at a decent level. We had to wait about 1/2 and hour to be seated, but looking at the various beautiful people surrounding us, and having nice conversation of our own and checking out the interesting wall artwork, the time passed rather quickly.

The brunch is served Saturday and Sunday from 10 A.M – 2 P.M. I highly recommend trying the selections, but stay away from the Hot Chocolate drink, as I was told by my partner who had dined there in the past, it wasn’t very good or very “hot”.

Lox and Bagel Plate

The Lox plate came with about 5 pieces of thinly sliced and perfectly cured Lox, thin slices of cucumber and tomatoes. But the one item that peaked my curiosity was the “noodle pudding”. When I saw it on the menu, I was expecting a wet, gelatinous mess, but was instead pleasingly surprised by a square of noodles held together with a flavorful vanilla custard.

Market Scramble

The Market scramble was a huge platter of about 4 eggs, scrambled with seasonal veggies, mozzarella cheese, and the crispiest home style red potatoes I’ve ever tasted. While the vegetables in the scramble and the accompanying potatoes were cooked to perfection, I felt that the eggs were a tad bit on the rubbery side and didn’t have enough seasoning.

Hot Chocolate for Winer

So, I’m a bit promiscuous when it comes to dining out. I’ll have a one night stand with a restaurant and never look back. Yeah, it’s rude, even a bit cruel, but there are other hot, new places to check out. There are some places I’ll come crawling back to, like a pathetic druggie looking for another hit. And it looks like hotchocolate is one of those places.

Our server was gracious the entire night, prompt with service and friendly the whole time. Her recommendations were spot on and the kitchen was on target because everything came out fan-freakin’-tastic.

The sweet potato soup was sweet and savory, perfect against the backdrop of cold weather. It was buttery, silky smooth with hints of smokiness and swirls of molasses for sweetness. And sweet potato gnocchi with pork cheeks was awesome. Pork cheeks were so flavorful and tender, pairing wonderfully with the al dente gnocchi; the sharp goat cheese added a nice edge to the dish.

But the real highlight was the dessert. Banana bread pudding with a milk chocolate center topped off with stout foam. Um…yummy!!! It was still hot, and the chocolate was so gooey. Definitely hit the spot.

During these tough economic times, a good meal at a great price is enough to make me forget money troubles for a little bit. This three course meal set my friend and I back $80. I will most definitely be returning. I want to try the Mexican hot chocolate damn it.

October 12, 2011

Amazing Experience, More than just Desert

Last Friday I took my girlfriend to Hot Chocolate for her birthday and she had an amazing time. We started with the pretzels and a couple specialty cocktails. I ordered the burger with egg, bacon, and cheddar. Definitely a top 5 burger…

February 18, 2010

So delicious! My favorite date place

Hot Chocolate is my favorite special date place in Chicago. My boyfriend and I have been several times, and it's always fantastic! The dinner entrees, are good, but not super amazing, but you really go there for the desserts. Their…

January 28, 2010

great date night

Rather pricey but if you want a great find for a date night, this is cute. Chocolate is obvoiusly what they are known for so make sure you visit after a bite out to dinner.

Hot Chocolate is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Hot Chocolate Chicago Restaurant, Hot Chocolate Chicago, Hot Chocolate Chicago Menu, Hot Chocolate Wicker Park Chicago, Hot Chocolate Restaurant Chicago, Hot Chocolate Places Near 60647, Hot Chocolate Menu Chicago, Hot Chocolate Restaurant And Dessert Bar, and Hot Chocolate Wicker Park.

Featured in Chicago

Loves Hot Chocolate (2)

At9bxeamsr3yb7aby-d11h
Denny

Chicago, IL

asloane

0 useful

Wants to Try Hot Chocolate (2)

JenChamberlain