Hot Chocolate

1747 N Damen Ave
Chicago, IL 60647

Neighborhoods: Wicker Park
Cuisine: Chocolate, Desserts, Local

Hot Chocolate is a Chocolate, Desserts, and Local restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

tulips500 photo

tulips500

Hot Chocolate 3.0

expensive desserts

i came here w/a group of friends for some late-nite sweet tooth indulgence in bucktown. the decor is minimalist modern, very trendy, and dimly lit w/overtones of chocolate browns & oranges — definitely puts you in the mood for anything & everything chocolate.

we had to wait some time for a table to open up (unbelievably crowded), but this small dessert destination accommodated our large party of 5.
there was a nice mix of groups our size, and couples-on-a-date sharing an intimate dessert.
most everyone here was dressed-to-impress.

as for the food…although tasty, wasn’t wowing, especially given the prices. you’re most certainly paying a premium for the fancy-shmancy dessert presentation & style, and trendy ambience.

i only came for dessert, but i’m told they also serve regular entree dishes.

warm brioche donuts

tasty, but small serving size

webgrl01 photo

webgrl01

Hot Chocolate 3.0

Hot Brunch at Hot Chocolate

I recently had the pleasure of finally dining at Mindy Segal’s acclaimed restaurant Hot Chocolate. I didn’t go for dinner or the late night bar scene, instead I went for there Saturday afternoon brunch after an intense workout.

There was lots of yummy choices to opt for, but I chose to do the Lox and Bagel plate and my partner chose the Market Scramble.

We both ordered coffee, which was nice and tasty and came in individual french press carafes. Other drinks that seemed to be popular that morning were the Grey Goose Bloody Mary, as well a mimosa made with Champagne and Pear Liqueur in lieu of orange juice.

The place was plenty crowed with friends catching up on a Saturday afternoon and the atmosphere was loud but you could still hear your dining companion at a decent level. We had to wait about 1/2 and hour to be seated, but looking at the various beautiful people surrounding us, and having nice conversation of our own and checking out the interesting wall artwork, the time passed rather quickly.

The brunch is served Saturday and Sunday from 10 A.M – 2 P.M. I highly recommend trying the selections, but stay away from the Hot Chocolate drink, as I was told by my partner who had dined there in the past, it wasn’t very good or very “hot”.

Lox and Bagel Plate

The Lox plate came with about 5 pieces of thinly sliced and perfectly cured Lox, thin slices of cucumber and tomatoes. But the one item that peaked my curiosity was the “noodle pudding”. When I saw it on the menu, I was expecting a wet, gelatinous mess, but was instead pleasingly surprised by a square of noodles held together with a flavorful vanilla custard.

Market Scramble

The Market scramble was a huge platter of about 4 eggs, scrambled with seasonal veggies, mozzarella cheese, and the crispiest home style red potatoes I’ve ever tasted. While the vegetables in the scramble and the accompanying potatoes were cooked to perfection, I felt that the eggs were a tad bit on the rubbery side and didn’t have enough seasoning.

jinkwell photo

jinkwell

Hot Chocolate 5.0

Hot Chocolate for Winer

So, I’m a bit promiscuous when it comes to dining out. I’ll have a one night stand with a restaurant and never look back. Yeah, it’s rude, even a bit cruel, but there are other hot, new places to check out. There are some places I’ll come crawling back to, like a pathetic druggie looking for another hit. And it looks like hotchocolate is one of those places.

Our server was gracious the entire night, prompt with service and friendly the whole time. Her recommendations were spot on and the kitchen was on target because everything came out fan-freakin’-tastic.

The sweet potato soup was sweet and savory, perfect against the backdrop of cold weather. It was buttery, silky smooth with hints of smokiness and swirls of molasses for sweetness. And sweet potato gnocchi with pork cheeks was awesome. Pork cheeks were so flavorful and tender, pairing wonderfully with the al dente gnocchi; the sharp goat cheese added a nice edge to the dish.

But the real highlight was the dessert. Banana bread pudding with a milk chocolate center topped off with stout foam. Um…yummy!!! It was still hot, and the chocolate was so gooey. Definitely hit the spot.

During these tough economic times, a good meal at a great price is enough to make me forget money troubles for a little bit. This three course meal set my friend and I back $80. I will most definitely be returning. I want to try the Mexican hot chocolate damn it.

Chocolate Good for groups Takeout
Sun,Sat 10:00AM - 02:00PM (Brunch)
Sun,Tue-Wed 05:30PM - 10:00PM (Dinner)
Thu 05:30PM - 11:00PM (Dinner)
Fri-Sat 05:30PM - 12:00AM (Dinner)
Tue-Fri 11:30AM - 02:00PM (Lunch)

From OpenTable:

Welcome to Mindy’s HotChocolate Restaurant and Dessert Bar. While we know that you have many dining choices, we wholly commit ourselves to exceed your expectations in all areas of your dining experience.

From the moment you walk through the front door, it is our goal to provide you with an atmosphere that is comfortable and relaxed with exemplary service and an evolving array of high-quality, seasonal and locally-sourced food, drink and pastry.

We constantly search for new and exciting purveyors, ingredients and presentations. Through our network of artisan farmers and friends, we are able to connect the producer to the consumer and provide a uniquely enjoyable dining adventure.

Whether it is a casual lunch, a leisurely weekend brunch, a delightful dinner or a late night dessert rendezvous, HotChocolate continues to be one of Chicago’s most unique dining destinations.

Owner? Claim The Menu

JenChamberlain

C-d8ng68kr26ataby-gaa8
Chicago_Bites

Hot Chocolate  Restaurant Reviews

Hot Chocolate is located near the cities of Pilsen, Armour Square, Near South Side, Mc Kinley Park, and Near West Side.
People found this by searching for: Hot Chocolate Restaurant And Dessert Bar, Hot Chocolate Chicago Restaurant, Hot Chocolate Chicago Menu, Hot Chocolate Restaurant Chicago, Chocolate Restaurants, Hot Chocolate Menu Chicago, and Hot Chocolate Chicago.