631-656-8100

610 Nesconset Hwy ( )

Smithtown, NY 11787

Description: Insignia Prime Steak & Sushi is a Steak and Steakhouse restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid more than $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Steak, OpenTable, Reservations, Steakhouse, and Yuuuuuuucccccckkkkkkkk !!!!!!
  • 6 dishes entered by diners at Insignia Prime Steak & Sushi
  • 1 user loves Insignia Prime Steak & Sushi

Overall: 71%    Food: 71%    Service: 71%    Ambiance: 71%
Pros

• "The donuts were insane. "
  • "All gpod"
Cons
  • "Had res for 7:30, wasn't seated till 8. "
Comments
  • "Truffled Mac and cheese was great too."

From OpenTable:

Insignia is the newest fine dining restaurant from Anthony Scotto - proprietor of Blackstone & Rare650 Steakhouses.
Like its predecessors, Insignia's inspired menu will feature the finest prime dry-aged steaks and the freshest Sushi & Seafood, including Mediterranean whole fish, served up in a chic, elegant atmosphere that is also a feast for the eyes. Picture a historic North shore mansion with cedar shakes, quarried stone and a beautiful turret combined with the energy and vibe of a trendy Manhattan restaurant. "That's Insignia" stated Mr. Scotto, "It's refreshingly unique."

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for Insignia Prime Steak & Sushi

• 10 reviews
  • First reviewed by levst02
Insignia Prime Steak & Sushi

you should be ashamed to charge those prices !!!!!!

party of 15 cost us $2500 the food was disgusting… no lie! blood rare steaks under cooked chicken and burned fish! Was that really Macaroni and Cheese ?? SpongeBob Kraft tastes better !!! The only good thing was mashed potatoes..They gave me about 1/4 of a teaspoon.Desert was just ok…shouldnt you get coffee before the desert, not an hour after ?? You couldnt pay me to go back there !!!!

Scallop Appetizer

gross

Insignia misses the mark

Off to a bad start, I arrived at the side street entrance by the BIG Insignia highway sign and was turned away as they do not let you enter there. We had to go back on the highway in order to make a u turn to use the highway entrance for valet parking. Entering the restaurant, I pondered how many 9 ft tall people would enter their two sets of 10 ft tall doors.

At the table, the waiter informed us that it was “Half-price Wine Wednesday”, that wines over $100 were half priced (but I did confirm that a $90 bottle was still $90. Huh?) Two appetizers, scallops and crab cake, arrived barely warm. Tasty enough though, but should have been hotter. The venison and Kobe mini burgers were interesting, but not remarkable.

After a very long wait (I mean, very long), the main course arrived. I ordered the 45-day aged Wagyu steak for $95 as recommended by the waiter, just to see what a $95 steak would be like. Expecting it to be the best steak of my life, it arrived plain, on a metal plate, not sizzling, no juices and no garnish (a sprig of something would have been nice). IMHO, if the steak started off as 18oz as advertised, it arrived kinda light after grilling. Furthermore, the cut was about a quarter of inedible grizzle. The meat I could eat tasted good and juicy, but not the best steak in the world, or my life. My friend had the 100 day aged Wagyu steak for $115, and indicated that it was good, not great. The two people who had the lamb said the chops were fatty. The mashed potato and creamed spinach sides were warm, not hot, and tasted like mashed potatoes and creamed spinach, nothing more; and the “table servings” were small. The French fried onions were excellent, though salty. So, was the Sapporo draft beer. One of had the halibut and one had the sushi; they both enjoyed them.

Just after dinner, the restaurant pumped in some loud music, for no apparent reason. Desserts appeared very interesting on the menu, and when they showed up, they certainly looked wonderful on the plates. Tasting the Insignia house special dessert and the pumpkin mousse revealed that they looked better than tasted. Not bad, but we expected to be knocked out by them.

Sorry Insignia. Is it just the growing pains of a new establishment? I would think that the experience of the owner would produce a restaurant that could hit the ground running. Sorry again, Insignia. Keep the A+ pretension to yourself and just give us good food with better service. It should have been GREAT, for the price paid…you missed the mark.

45 day aged steak

Not worth it. It was only good. Should have been $30

Extremely Poor service :-(

We celebrated my husband’s birthday with family (table of 8) and the service went downhill after the cocktails and appetizers. We placed our orders immediately after the appetizers were ordered and we waited over an hour for our entrees to served. One hour and fifteen minutes to be each. I asked the waiter why there was a delay and they told us that they over cooked some of the steaks at our table. After the entree, we waited again for the waiter to bring out the birthday cake that we brought for my husband’s birthday and it took an additional forty minutes to bring the cake out and bring our coffee and tea out. I was very disgusted because the manager and the staff did NOT seem to care or go out of their way to make things better. I would NOT recommend this place if you are used to having decent service. There are many other fine dining establishments that have better food and service overall.

Insignia Prime Steak & Sushi

best steakhouse on long island

insignia is expensive… if you can’t afford $100/person (without wine), don’t eat there … but don’t knock the food, service, or ambience. it is top notch.
I FIND IT AMAZING THAT ALMOST EVERY PERSON REVIEWING THIS RESTAURANT HAS NO OTHER REVIEWS. COULD IT BE THE COMPETITION???
AND I’LL TELL YOU WHY I BELIEVE THIS… i’ve eaten at insignia at least 20 times … and the most impressive thing is the wine list …. they have such an extensive wine list, they have to use an ipad to keep track of all the wines they serve …. NOT ONE OF THESE SO-CALLED REVIEWERS EVEN MENTIONED THIS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
the porterhouse for two is the best i’ve eaten … and i’ve had it a dozen times (it’s that good !!!) the insignia roll is amazing --- lobster or king crab meat in the middle, kobi steak wrapped around it --- literally the best surf and turf dish i have ever eaten.
for those complaining that the steak came on a plate all by itself --- order a freaking side dish !!!! the mushrooms are incredible. the mashed potatoes are incredible.
the appetizers (raw bar for me) was perfect … the insignia salad is delicious.
and desserts (if you still had room), were better than average for a steakhouse.
do i have proof that the other reviewers are from the competition? no. i guess you can say maybe i work for iinsiginia (i don’t). BUT I’LL REPEAT …. I HAVE NEVER SEEN A WINE LIST ANYWHERE THAT WAS AS SOPHISTICATED AS INSIGNIA’S … AND YET, NOT ONE OF THE OTHER REVIEWERS EVEN MENTIONED IT --- EVEN IF THEY DIDN’T ORDER WINE, THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN IMPRESSED BY ITS SOPHISTICATION !!! btw, forgot to mention, the wine is always served perfectly … right temperature, and decanted perfectly …and the special decanters they use at insignia are sophisticated in themselves ….

portherhouse for 2

awesome … perfectly cooked … prime meat

insignia roll

a sushi rool with lobster or king crab meat inside, kobi steak outside … what a great idea …. not raw fish (i love sashimi, etc.) but this is in a class of its own … every time i bring someone to insignia, i always order it …. give the newbie a taste, and have to order another one !!!!

Check your bill.....

Food average, not bad, not great. But very overpriced-2 people $260. Very upset that we said we did not want dessert, then the waiter brought out a dessert sampler plate and said “Happy Anniversary”. To be polite we took a few forkfuls. Because of this nice gesture I tipped 25%. My husband takes care of the bill and I pay the tip. On the way home I remarked on how nice that was and my husband said they charged us $30 for it! He didn’t say anything when he saw it on the bill because he thought I ordered it when he went to the men’s room. I know in a lot of expensive restaurants people just hand over their credit card and barely glance at the charges. I wonder how many other times they pulled this scheme off.

Would never go back

bought the steak and lobster Sunday special. Here are my comments. The Lobster was good. My only comments on this was the fact that the person very briefly lets you view the Lobster first and then cracks it for you Unfortunately he uses his bare hands without any hand covering such as a glove. He goes from table to table opening these lobsters with his bare hands which I did not like Secondly I ordered median-rare steak with a baked potato. The potato which was huge, for me, seemed that it was reheated from previous days,two or three times. It was terrible and was burnt. The steak was beyond well done and had no flavor at all, only char flavor. . The waiter after he served the food did not even once come over to my table to see how we liked the food. The coffee that came in a presser container barely had enough coffee for 2 people. Over all the food, was terrible, barely seasoned and no taste which for a steakhouse should not be. No I would never recommend this establishment to my friends

Insignia

After reading several reviews, I was a little scared that we had reservations last night for my birthday. We were pleasantly surprised! The restaurant is beautiful, the food was great – sushi rolls fresh and prepared to my liking, the Porterhouse for two tender and delicious, and the Chocolate Wow was…well wow! The staff were attentive and polite – a special shout out to Robin, Cynthia and of course the chef. Prices were to be expected for a restaurant of this caliber. We will definitely be back for more!

3.0

Overpriced, noisy

My New York strip steak came cooked to perfection, on a plate, alone. No drizzle, no garnish, nothing. A steak on a plate. At this level of dining, I expected a little better “presentation”. The ceasar salad is tasteless, but the baby arugula salad is great. The side dishes are skimpy and lackluster. We ordered the mashed potatoes, grilled asparagus, french fries, (no steak fries, only french fries) and the mac and cheese. Skip the mac and cheese, it’s not what you are hoping for. My wife said the grouper was good, but she didn’t rave about it like she normally would. For dessert, the Chocolate Wow and the Banana Cream Pie were good. As a group of six diners, our overall rating of the food was ok to good. No one felt the entrees were outstanding or incredible. I can say the service was excellent. The two waitresses did a great job delivering the meal at a steady pace with no delays. About the noise, the bar area had club techno music playing so loud it was hard to have a conversation at our table near the sushi bar. Would I go back? Probably not. For a lot less money and a better meal, Pace’s still has my vote.

New York Strip – very good
Ceasar Salad – terrible, get the Baby Arugula
Mac and Cheese – don’t bother
Sushi – good

2.0

not impressed.. get better bartenders

So went to Insignia on Sunday. I was not all that impressed. On Sunday they have a $99.00 for 2 dinner… 2 Appitizers a 2 pound lobster a 14oz filet. choice of 2 sides coffee and dessert, Had a 7 pm reservation and was told it will be about 10 minutes.ok so we went to the bar, They do not have a vodka selection and not professional bar tenders. was not offered any sugestions just a small run do…wn on stoli flavors (up-scale I think not) after having to go to the hostess again we we seated. the resturant is beautiful. The wait staff was very professional. We orderd ceasar salad (semi tasteless) but the spicy tuna roll were great was enough for dinner. the 2 pound lobster was deshelled table side. nice touch. I am not a lobster fan but thought a bit rubbery.(and had to ask for drawn butter) the filet while perfectly medium was also tasteless and had more of a london broil texture (supermarket quailty meat) a baked potato what can you do wrongwith a potato (but again had to ask for butter) the asparagus was grilled an quite good. we took desser home. cheesecake (nothing special) and apple strussel, the apples we very good but the pastry was soggy and under baked. The coffe service was quite nice. a pot of french pressed coffee nice and strong… I do not think this is a place I would go back too. regualar menu way to much $$ for the quality. I give 2 stars out of 5… mostly for terrile bar..

filet mignon

the art of the steak

while they spent a ton of money on decor, they need to teach their chefs how to cook a steak. Medium does not mean well done (this was on both my filet and my date’s ribeye).

filet mignon

overcooked.

Insignia Prime Steak & Sushi is located near the cities of Village Of The Branch, Hauppauge, Nesconset, Saint James, and St James.
People found this by searching for: Insignia Smithtown Ny, Insignia Prime Steak & Sushi Smithtown, Ny, Insignia Steakhouse Smithtown Ny, Insignia Smithtown, Insignia Steakhouse Smithtown, Insignia Restaurant Smithtown, and Insignia Steak And Sushi.

Featured in Smithtown