949-872-2101

45 Fortune Dr # 400 ( )

Irvine, CA 92618-2925

Neighborhoods: Irvine Center

Description: Javier's Cantina & Grill is a Mexican, Bar, and Lunch restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.
Tags: Mexican, Irvine Spectrum, Bar, Incredibly stupid management, Patio, Loud, Drinks, Lunch, Dinner, and Groups
  • 14 dishes entered by diners at Javier's Cantina & Grill
  • 1 user wants to eat at Javier's Cantina & Grill

Reviews for Javier's Cantina & Grill

• 8 reviews
  • First reviewed by lizvega

Soooo Good

Although the menu isn’t the most interesting one I’ve ever come across, the Mexican staples they do serve are solid. The best thing I’ve had there is the seafood chimichanga (chimichanga de mariscos for you Spanish speakers). The crab and shrimp are moist and juicy and the tortilla is amazingly crispy. Plus, the chips and salsa are to die for.

Chimichanga de Mariscos

AMAZING. Try it.

Javiers - success breeds arrogance - asta la vista Javiers

For years my Company and I have enjoyed Javiers. I have averaged $3000 to $5000 per year as a customer and through company events.

No more. They’ve been slipping recently…a bi-product of their success. Too big for their britches, they’ve been upping their charges, and reducing the sizes of their proportions. $90 lunch for three people, a side of lettuce for $5 that was quoted at $1. A to go order where they charged for items not included in the order. Notice on a number of dishes they have smaller plates (that look bigger). A clever technique to reduce food costs while the customers do not notice.

When I went back, driving an hour, to meet with Sylvia, their manager at Spectrum and explained the situation, I was met with defensiveness. She would not credit me for the missed order. She said she ‘might’ do something nice when I come back…just ask for her. When I asked her to credit me for the missed order, she said she could not do that without crosschecking with the waiter.

Give me a break!!! I’ve been in the hospitality business for 30 years. What part of the ‘the client is always right’ that this entitled manager does not understand…particularly for a loyal client that spends thousands of dollars. I tried to reason with her as a fellow service provider…no luck.

This is one gringo that will no longer spend $$$$$$ on overpriced mexican food. Hospitality is worth extra $$$$. Arrogance is worth zero.

Asta la vista Javiers.

Taco Dinner (Soft)

4.0

Am I really giving this restaurant a good review ?

Am I really giving this restaurant a good review cause I really didn’t want to. I had a very bad experience when it first opened . Two years ago when Javier’s was new at the Spectrum we were having drinks and appetizers outside and they kicked us out because we weren’t ordering enough ( seriously) We left in a huff and 20 minutes later when we walked by the outside table which we had been seated at ..it was still empty. I wrote a letter and never got a response.

Javiers ( at least at the spectrum ) is known for long waits, service that is rude and everything seems to be overpriced BUT My husband had picked the restaurant for his birthday and so I had to go.

On this trip I finally found the perfect margarita The Marcos" straight lime juice , white tequila and a splash of contreau …lovely & refreshing & worth it at $12.00 . And the Cabo Azul had three dishes all excellent . Lobster Enchilada which was creamy & moist and full of delicate flavor The Crab Chile Relleno was crispy and the best relleno I have ever had and shrimp taco had such a unique flavor. I will go back again ..darn it !!

Add/Show Comments (1)

Terrible Experience

Owner does not seem to understand or care about quality customer service

After spending $60 on drinks and an appetizer, a friend and I were asked to finish our drinks and leave so other guests could have the table.
To make matters worse, I called the owner to share my story. Before I could finish sharing my concerns, he interrupts me to tell me his findings from talking with his staff at Irvine Spectrum. I’m told that we should have had our drinks and appetizer in the bar; reservations aren’t taken for parties of two; and 2 hours was plenty of time for us to occupy a dining patio table. He then says he no longer has time for the call and hangs up on me,
How arrogant and such a lack of knowledge about providing quality customer service. I will NOT return to any of his restaurants.

3.0

ideal for loud groups

whenever i pass by javier’s at the spectrum, it’s always bustling and people (there’s a patio) look like they’re having a festive jolly time. which is why i really wanted to like javier’s, but sadly…i was so supremely disappointed by the food. the chips were delicious, and got my hopes up. but when our meals came out, my dish and my friends’ dishes were so unbelievably dry.

the ambiance is loud, noisy, and great for large groups/parties to get rowdy and have fun. and our waitor was very cheery, although a little hard to track down.

i’d probably come back to javier’s for drinks, but not for the food.

Taco Dinner (Soft)

could my chicken have been more dry??! the grilled chicken was cut into bite-size pieces and thrown together with large chopped onions and guacamole. the guacamole was delicious and tasted fresh, but the chicken was so tough. it made my tummy very sad.

Don't waist your money!

The food is mediocre at best and the prices are overinflated. This restaurant has become a tourist trap that misses the charm it once had when it was located in Laguna Beach. The Cheesecake Factory next door probably has better Mexican food!

After reading another review I had to add one more thing…
The last time I was there for my husband’s birthday I invited 10 family and friends. At the end of our very basic Mexican meal we were given our $500 bill. After paying the bill I noticed that the heel of my brand new shoes was stuck in a drain under our table. I pulled it out and noticed how torn up the shoe was. I showed it to the manager at the time, and he didn’t even say he was sorry. Not a “Let me pay to have it repaired”…nothing…only rudeness. He did give me the owners daughter’s name. When I contacted Sylvia she asked me to send a picture which I took the time to do along with a very nice letter hoping she would do the right thing. I never heard back from her. When I called her again, she said flatly, again without an apology, that she wasn’t going to do anything. I had just spent $500 and she didn’t even say, “I’m sorry.” The worst part was when I started telling her how wrong this was to do to a long time customer, and she HUNG UP on me!! Who does that?

Rude, mediocre, classless, overpriced, and unpleasant.

November 14, 2011

Crappy Time - Avoid this Cantina

I can't believe that people of Irvine like to pay 2x & 3x the price of an El Torito for the same or slightly worse experience. Omar, the General Manager, should be shot for not knowing how to serve guest needs. I wouldn't go back for any…

November 5, 2010

Javiers quality going down

Rip Off $11.- for a margarita and they didn't even use fresh squized fruit, I bet they cook with food cans and microways.\r Javiers got popular to fast in results quality went down the drain, I guess that's what happend when you become…

Javier's Cantina & Grill is located near the cities of Newport Coast, Tustin, Central Coast, Corona Del Mar, and Santa Ana.
People found this by searching for: Javier's Cantina & Grill Menu, Javiers Irvine Menu, Javier's Irvine Spectrum Menu, Javiers Menu, Javier's Menu, Javier Cantina Grill Menu, and Javier's Cantina Menu.

Nearby Restaurants

L'Opera at the Irvine Spectrum
Specialty Soup & Sandwiches in Irvine Health And Science Complex

Link to Javier's Cantina & Grill

Javier's Cantina & Grill  Restaurant Reviews

Overall:  90%  Food:  100%  Service:  100%  Ambiance:  100%
Pros
  •  "Great place great good great service over all great "
  •  "Great food, delicious margaritas and amazing service "
  •  "Beautiful Patio, great Food & Drinkd with excellent service. A little pricey, but good."