La Parihuela

4.0 rating over 1 review

414-541-5282

9039 W National Ave ( )

West Allis, WI 53227

Description: La Parihuela is a Peruvian restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends and paid between $10 and $25.
Tags: Peruvian
  • 8 dishes entered by diners at La Parihuela
  • 1 user wants to eat at La Parihuela

Reviews for La Parihuela

• 1 review
  • First reviewed by eryngo
La Parihuela

4.0

My first experience with Peruvian cuisine

La Parihuela had their Grand Opening this week… a no holds barred affair where they made every dish on their menu, and then some. It was an all-you-can-eat buffet and at one point was standing room only. The weather was just right, so we ate outside. Funny thing… I’m pretty sure I saw a sign that said Free WiFi, but they don’t seem to have a website or online menu yet.

Please keep in mind as you read this review that there were no tags to explain what each dish was, there was a distinct language barrier, and this is the first time I’ve had Peruvian food. So there are likely some errors in the descriptions of the dishes that stood out to me… take this all with a grain of salt!

Their menu contains such items as Ceviche, Choritas, Parihuela Salvaje, Soltado de Pollo (o Mariscos, Camaron o Lomo), Seco de Cordero, Pescado Frito, Jalea, Arroz Chaufa de Carne (o Pollo), etc.

Battered Fish

Overdone but has potential… the batter was nice and light and slightly sweet.

Beet Salad

Until I took my first bite, I actually thought this was watermelon but was pleasantly surprised. Diced beets and peas in a light, creamy dressing, this chilled salad was excellent.

Honeycomb Tripe

We asked one of the servers and managed to get the words cow and intestine but after chatting with one of my friends, she assured me that what we had is called honeycomb tripe, made from one of a cow’s three stomachs. A brilliant yellow (probably due to saffron), this was seasoned rather oddly (vinegar-ish), and was extremely rubbery, which is apparently what happens if it is undercooked.

Tuna Salad

Interesting… layers of tuna and what we think might have been potatoes or yucca whipped together with pineapple.

Chicken and Rice

An entire chicken leg wrapped in rice and hard boiled eggs.

Stir Fry

There were several dishes that presented like stir frys but I am sure were not cooked in a wok! Veggies, consisting of bell peppers and onions; a beef dish served over rice (aromatic… possibly basmati); and mushrooms in a slightly too salty gravy but so good I kept going back to get more.

Rosemary Chicken

This was chicken (breast, leg, thigh, wing… take your pick) cooked with herbs (most notably rosemary) that gave it a nice, earthy flavor and also had a bit of kick. Delicious!

Potato Salad

I think this might be similar to the Causa de Pollo that is on their menu, described as whipped potatoes with aji amarillo and chicken, but with sliced potatoes rather than whipped. Or maybe it was just chicken and potatoes in their Huancaina sauce. Very tasty… rich and slightly cheesy.