116 E Highway 90a ( )
Richmond, TX 77469-3735
May 15, 20141.0
My Husband got food poisoning from there chicken enchiladas. then the next time we went to eat there we weren’t greeted at the door so we sat down at our own table they finally came up and gave us the chips and salsa and waters and menu’s. we asked about substituting a drink for how much and the waiter was like you can talk to the manager my husband asked if he could have the manager come to us and the waiter rudely said no he is very busy you can go to the front to him. So my husband went to the front and the manager wasnt even busy at all. the manager actually explained about the cost and why we couldnt substitute it because they have to pay for the coke. After that we got our food and drinks and we asked for a refill on the coke and they just added more coke we asked them to dump it and put FRESH ICE and coke. the waiter asked “why?” My husband said “because it wont taste right it’ll be watered down, it is fresh with fresh ice and coke.” so after a good minute and a half of the 2 waiter’s going back and forth about why they needed to put fresh ice they FINALLY did. Then they wouldnt even box up our food they had us do it ourselves, AND left all the plates that we had neatly stacked up and put to the side of the table for them to grab so we could have a clearer table they NEVER grabbed that. then when they handed us the bill, we paid and my husband asked for one $10 and 2 $5’s and they gave him back a $10 and 10 $1’s. So then my husband told them i asked for one $10 and 2 $5’s and then they finally gave him what he asked. and then they FINALLY took the dishes we had put to the side neatly stacked while we were walking out. That is something a waiter is supposed to do when you see plates stacked up to the side it means “TAKE THESE OUT THE WAY” to clear the table. and my husband had also mentioned to them about how he had got food poisoning a few weeks before that and they didnt even seem to care or say anything not even an apology or seemed to believe him. my husband was throwing up all night and got a fever and had to call poision control to see what we needed to do. I had called the manager the night of my husband getting food poisoning and he said he’d give us a $50 gift certificate. and if it got worse he’d give us their insurance number. It never went that far but still was horrible service everytime we got food there. This one other time we ordered to-go from there we asked for the Laredo and the El Patron and the waiter didnt even ask what type of enchiladas or quesadilla’s we wanted so i went to the front and told the man that we wanted all cheese on both and he said “that’s what it’s going to be” by the time we got home we start to eat and notice their was chicken enchiladas in one and chicken quesadilla’s. This was also a few days after the chicken enchiladas that gave my husband food poisoning. It was like they did it on purpose and also lied the man said it would be ALL CHEEse and wasn’t. So we called up there told them they gave us the wrong type and lied to us and they said they were sorry and would give us another plate the next time we come. So the Larry’s mexican restaurant in Richmond, Tx has been HORRIBLE service and i would advise anyone that likes to go there or decides to go there to double check your food all the time and make sure you get the CORRECT service. OH one more thing i found hair in my food one of those times as well. so like i said DOUBLE CHECK THE FOOD YOU GET THERE THEY OBVIOUSLY ARE POORLY MAKING THE FOOD AND DONT SEEM TO CARE NOR LISTEN HOPING YOU DONT NOTICE!
its good when it’s made correctly… and not food poisoned
These dishes from the Larry's Original Mexican menu are contributed by Menuism users directly, as part of a restaurant review, or as part of an image upload.