202-289-4441

713 H St Nw ( )

Washington, DC 20001-3733

Neighborhoods: Downtown

View Hours
Description: Matchbox is a Pizza, American (New), and Casual dining restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid more than $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Pizza, American (New), Hip, Downtown, Casual dining, OpenTable, Reservations, Italian, Pasta, and Good For Kids
  • 103 dishes entered by diners at Matchbox
  • 1 user wants to eat at Matchbox
  • 3 users love Matchbox
Tips:
  • Though it's mostly known as a pizza spot, consider going for brunch (on weekends from 10am to 3pm) for breakfast fare such as cast-iron baked cinnamon rolls and cinnamon French toast stuffed with honey cream cheese.
  • Matchbox is always a popular place--go early in the evening to avoid long waits. Groups of six or more can make reservations.\n\n
  • Brothers Mark and Ty Neal also own Capitol Hill diner Ted's Bulletin--it's named after their late father.\n\n

From OpenTable:

Matchbox offers fresh American inspired food and drink in a modern and eco-friendly setting. Our menu includes brick oven pizza, miniburgers, fresh seafood, and a fantastic brunch. Guests can dine on our outdoor patio in nice weather. As the winner of best new restaurant, Matchbox takes brick oven pizzas to a new level.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for Matchbox

Editorial Review by Gayot »

4.0

Dining in DC's First Look

How often can you order a burger ‘Medium’ and get it medium? Yeah, that’s my point. Oh let me splain … no let me sum up. I went for the first time to Matchbox last week. I went with a friend who frequents this Gallery Place/Chinatown (713 H St., NW) favorite often so when she found out that I had never been, she insisted that we go.

I must add that my friend and I are remarkably similar in tastes and seem to like some of the same things. So I was pleasantly surprised when we both wanted our miniburgers, medium. Even more surprising is that the 3 Angus Beef miniburgers actually came medium! Can you believe it?! You order something … and it comes the way you want it. Amazing!

The burgers were topped with a heaping portion of crunchy onion straws drizzled with grated Parmesan cheese. The burger itself is served in between a perfectly lightly toasted brioche with tiny Gouda slice (cheese optional for $1) and a single pickle slice. I wondered why Matchbox staff were wearing t-shirts with ‘3.6.9’ on it … until I saw the menu. These miniburgers are served in orders of three, six, and nine for $8/$14/$18. Along with my miniburgers I ordered a small pear, apple, Gorgonzola salad with sweet candied pecans. The balsamic vinaigrette was perfectly sweet and tart. The candied pecans were delicious; they added a sweet crunch to each bite. The small salad is served perfectly proportioned for sharing entrees or several appetizers.

Our sever, Jim was attentive, polite, humorous, and rather cute. His suggestions for desserts included the chocolate chip waffle. Yeah, he didn’t have to twist our arms. The chocolate waffle was drizzled with “chocolate ganache”, a rich, dark chocolate topping and Crème anglaise or “English Creme”, a light yellowish custard. On top of the waffles sat a perfect little scoop of almond gelato. For color, a few raspberries were added; nice touch.

View from our table I asked Jim about the recent completion of the restaurant addition and renovations. He said that the renovation increased their seating capacity to a whopping 210 people. Part of the newly completed expansion included another brick oven for pizza. I didn’t have a chance to try their pizza. We were fortunate enough to be seated to the table right next to the pizza oven on the bitter Tuesday night several weeks ago. It is as beautiful as the pizza that comes out of it! I can’t wait to return to Matchbox in order to try their pizza!

Mini burger trio

The burger trio was topped with a heaping portion of crunchy onion straws drizzled with grated Parmesan cheese. The burger itself was medium, just as I asked and was served in between a perfectly lightly toasted brioche with tiny Gouda slice (cheese optional for $1) and a single pickle slice.

Add/Show Comments (1)

BAD FOOD BAD SERVICE!!

The quality of Matchbox has gone down the toilet!!!! Seriously, this place is not what it used to be. I had a friend visiting from out of town so we went to Matchbox and it was terrible from start to finish. The miniburgers were over cooked and dry with literally an unmelted cube of cheese on the patty! The pizza came out without chicken. The appetizers came out at the same time as our meal! This was after waiting at least 30 min for a table on a Sunday night. To top it off, the waitress was pretty rude and seemed like she was trying to rush us out the door. I hope she enjoyed her 10% tip which is more than she deserved! Talk about a terrible dining experience. BEWARE FOLKS OF THIS LOCATION AS THE FOOD AND SERVICE WERE AWFUL!!! Also, we are pretty sure there were people having sex in the men’s bathroom – no joke. The residual smell after a couple walked out of the unisex bathroom was enough to kill anyone’s appetite. YUK YUK YUK!

Sliders, perfected.

DininginDC pointed out all of the essential aspects of Matchbox, a hip, friendly atmosphere, reasonable prices, and excellent taste. Their signature appetizer, the mini-burgers, represent the White Castle sliders perfected by a chef with European taste and American burger mastery. The beef was cooked to perfection in patties that were thick like a regular half-pound burger should be, but shrunk to about a third the size. Like the original White Castle, they are each adorned with a pickle slice and cheese to order. Each burger was as good as the best burgers this author has experienced, even in the well-known California joints. The plate comes with either 3, 6, or 9 elegantly presented mini-burgers topped with onion straws (shoestring style fried onion). My server explained that people don’t want her to remove the plate until they have taken every last bite of the sweet, crispy straws. Our meal was no exception.

We also shared a pizza, which was also quite good in flavor, but was too spicy. The next time, I will choose a pizza that is a little easier on the gut.

Mini burger trio

Amazing mini burgers. See the reviews; they are that good.

Fire and smoke pizza

A unique pizza topped with roasted red peppers and sweet onions over flavorful smoked gouda and a signature chipotle sauce. The taste was great, but it was extremely spicy. They warn it is very spicy, and it was true. After the first slice, the spices took away from the flavor.

4.0

The atmosphere of Matchbox is great - very modern and cla...

The atmosphere of Matchbox is great – very modern and classy. The part we sat in had a glass roof and I love the natural lighting. They’ve got multiple vegetarian pizzas – I had the oven dried tomato and buffalo mozzarella and it was very good. My coworkers gave it their seal of approval as well. Looks like there’s always a wait though and they only take limited reservations.

November 11, 2013

Great place! Pizza was good, and service was great!

November 7, 2013

So many delicious choices.

November 1, 2013

The margherita pizza is the best thing ever.

Matchbox is located near the cities of National Harbor, Naval Anacost Annex, Washington D C, Fort Lesley J Mcnair, and Rosslyn.
People found this by searching for: Matchbox Restaurant Washington Dc, Matchbox Restaurant Menu, Matchbox Restaurant Menu Dc, Matchbox 3.6.9, Matchbox Washington Dc, 3.6.9 Matchbox, 713 H St Nwwashington Dc 20001, Cook P/N: 314009, and Matchbox Dc.

Featured in Washington

diningindc

Bypmnogtwr3ajvaby-apxr
tishtacular

Washington, DC

Wants to Try Matchbox (1)

D9p34ue7yr3ictaby-gaa7