Momofuku Ssam Bar

Neighborhoods: East Village
Cuisine: Korean, Noodle Shop, Asian

Momofuku Ssam Bar is a Korean, Noodle Shop, and Asian restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped less than 15%.

spam_i_am photo

Asian Burritos!

The off-shoot of the much heralded Momofuku Noodle Bar. During the day, a simplified menu of ssams (described as Asian/Korean wraps) is served, and late night a more extensive menu is available.

Decor/Ambiance: Cool and modern, lots of dark woods, consists of a long bar with rectangular stools and some actual tables, at it is much larger that Momofuku Noodle Bar. There is also a cool Nike John McEnroe ad from 1985.

For the lunch menu, you walk up to the counter, and the operation reminded me a lot of Chipotle. You can choose the ssam or go for the rice bowls.

I had the Original Ssam and split the pork buns. It was filling without being too heavy. The place has had mixed reviews, but I loved it. I definitely will need to come back to try some of the dinner items … like the Berkshire pork sausage wrapped in bacon, bahn mi filled with ham, pate, and veal head cheese, and there is also a Bo Ssam meal for 8 ($165) that includes a whole pork butt, oysters, and sides. Mmm pork overload! Actually on their dinner menu they print “vegetarian friendly items not served” or something to that effect. Awesome.

Original Momofuku Ssam

A flour tortilla filled with rice, onions, edamame, pickled shiitake, red kimchee puree, and tons of Berkshire pork. It’s pricey, but it’s huge. The kimchee puree is amazing. The only negative is some uneven pockets of hot/cold.

Steamed Pork Buns

Berkshire pork with pickled cucumber, hoisin, and kewpie slaw. Not as good as the buns at Momofuku Noodle Bar (it uses the shredded pork as in the ssam instead of a cut of pork belly, and thus doesn’t melt in your mouth), but still damn good.

Yummy... lots of meat and good varieties. Its...

Yummy… lots of meat and good varieties. Its Asian fast food… you gotta try to love!

I like to order a lot of dishes and share with...

I like to order a lot of dishes and share with friends, everything is really tasty. Tonight we had the uni with tapioca, tomato salad, clams with chinese sausage, pork sausage ssam, pork ribs and strawberry shortcake. The house sake is actually pretty good and a good deal.

AlexisStember photo

New York, NY

I love this place. I get the flour pancake wrap with tofu...

I love this place. I get the flour pancake wrap with tofu, pickled porcini mushroom, white kimchi, sprouted beans, azuki beans and rice.
sounds bland; tastes outrageous.

stefanopm photo

New York, NY

Went here for dinner on a Sunday, which was...

Went here for dinner on a Sunday, which was nice because didn’t have to wait. Everything was excellent. Had the apple kimchi and sweetbreads from the menu, and they had a special pork dish that was very good, although you need to like pork fat.

It's good but not great. Is it worth the wait? If it's ni...

It’s good but not great. Is it worth the wait? If it’s nice out, maybe. The Ssams are good but I liked the pork buns better. If I’m craving Korean food, I’d go to k-town but for a casual fun chow with a friend, it’s fun.

TheTripChick photo

Seattle, WA

Crack Pie - as good as you think!

Crack pie – seriously good. There’s a recipe that shadows it somewhere on the Internet and I want to try making it at home since we’re only in NYC once a year.

Soft serves:
~cereal milk: I know this is totally subjective, but I was hoping for a little sweet in my cereal milk soft-serve. This was sour cereal milk and I just didn’t prefer it.
~salt & pepper: nailed the taste EXACTLY. However, not something I wanted more than two bites of.
~ pb & j: the stand-out soft-serve flavor – YUM!

The compost cookie seems to have everything including the kitchen sink but the flavors just meld together amazingly well. It was delicious! Next time I want to try the blueberry cream cookie…that just sounds good.

Also, I have to confess: when we went to Milk Bar they’d just pulled something out of the oven that conveyed the most amazing and wonderful, rich pure deep chocolaty scent. It wafted across the room and permeated everything and it was WONDERFUL. Whatever it was, I need some of that.

parkhyein photo

New York, NY

Yes, the pork buns are good. But the other...

Yes, the pork buns are good. But the other bakery stuff is really not great; cakes especially are dry.

Korean Noodle Shop Burrito

San Francisco, CA

Brooklyn, NY

Nanuet, NY

Chicago, IL

Houston, TX

Momofuku Ssam Bar  Restaurant Reviews

• 03/04/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
Momofuku Ssam Bar is located near the cities of Tribeca, Peck Slip, Canal Street, Trinity, and Financial District.
People found this by searching for: Momofuku Samba, Korean Noodle Shop Ny, Mamma Fuco, Momofuku Noodle Bar And Restaurant, Mamma Fooco, Mamafuko, Momofuku Menu, Ssama, Nyc, and Momofuku Noodle Bar Restaurant.