310-479-3939

11500 W Pico Blvd ( )

Los Angeles, CA 90064-1520

Neighborhoods: West Los Angeles

View Hours
Description: Mori Sushi is a Japanese, Sushi, and Seafood restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid more than $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.
Tags: Japanese, Sushi, Seafood, Healthy, Asian, American, and Takeout
  • 6 dishes entered by diners at Mori Sushi
  • 2 users want to eat at Mori Sushi
  • 1 user loves Mori Sushi
Tips:
  • Minimalism reaches new heights; the words "Mori Sushi" don't even appear on the sign outside. Look instead for the outlined sketch of a fish.
  • There is no wine list--red or white by the glass is all they've got. Opt for sake instead.

Reviews for Mori Sushi

• 4 reviews
  • First reviewed by mh2mh

Editorial Review by Gayot »

Mori Sushi

Mori: home of the best uni ever ever

Went to Mori tonight for the first time. At last. Excellent, and expensive. We did omakase, $120 pp, and a 750 ml bottle of sake, $60. Total damage for two, including tax/tip: $385.

They don’t allow picture taking, and I can’t remember all of the courses, here are the ones I remember off the top of my head:
—tiny squid (yikes, thinking back, they must be babies, oh no), they were maybe an inch long. They were delicious.
—bamboo tips/shoots in broth, that was the best bamboo I think I’ve ever had, and I’ve been eating bamboo all my life.
—wild hamachi: I normally love love hamachi, but this wild one didn’t have much flavor.
—Santa Barbara spot prawn with uni: wow! sweet and lucious
—uni: incredibly fresh and sweet and beautiful, some of the best uni I’ve ever had.
—toro tartare: a bit of chopped white onion mixed in, very nice.
—another type of toro.
—unagi: melt in your mouth.
—mackerel: I’m not a big fan of mackerel.
Many other nigiri and other items that I already can’t recall.
—Finished with this handroll: toro! The nori was nothing like I’ve ever had; the sushi chef told us that only a few restaurants in LA has that kind of nori. It’s a little bit thicker, with a smooth texture, and very crisp, so that there’s no chewiness at all, you bite into it and it breaks apart, don’t need to do any kind of tearing. Nicely toasted and wonderful.
—dessert: some sort of red bean gelatin, strawberries (not in season now), pomelo. And a really nice tea.

Most of the nigiri were made with freshly grated wasabi (very cool to watch the grating). And some of the nigiri were made using yuzu kosho—I love that stuff, it’s like crack!

All of the fish and ingredients were so fresh and beautiful. The dishes and nigiri were creative, beautifully made and presented. The just-warm temperature of the rice was very nice.

I love variety and creativity in my sushi. Mori is now one of my top two, along with Sushi Zo. Zo is more for the very purist. Mori has a bit of a wider range. And I can’t believe I’m saying this because I love Zo, but Mori has an edge on creativity.

Btw, I was able to locate Mori because the business next door has its address in large numbers on the building. No address on the Mori building, and no name, just a sign with a simple drawing of a fish. I only knew I was really in the right place because they had my reservation. The name also is not on the food or sake menus.

Mori Sushi

Selective sushi at its best

Mori Sushi serves up delish cuts of sashimi as well as meticulously constructed cooked dishes that will delight your taste buds. Chef’s tasting menus include choices of 2 appetizers (for $85) or 5 appetizers (for $125) or sashimi tasting menu (for $95), recommended for 1st timers. Small dining room /sushi bar so reservation’s recommended. Not-so-hard parking on the streets.

sashimi tasting menu

March 23, 2010

Citysearch Editorial Review

Discreetly located on a somewhat sketchy corner of Pico and Gateway, this decidedly minimalist sushi spot doesn't even have a sign that you can read. Instead, there's a sketch of a fish skeleton above the rectangular industrial-gray…

August 28, 2009

Great place for expensive sushi!!!

Generally when ordering off of the sushi menu, the quoted price is for 2 pieces of sushi, not only one...this was not my experience. All in all, the atmosphere's serenity acts to soothe client's reactions to outrageous bills.

Mori Sushi is located near the cities of Civic Center Little Tokyo, Sanford, Dockweiler, Windsor Hills, and August F Haw.
People found this by searching for: West Los Angels Mori Sushi, Mori Sushi Los Angeles, Mori Sushi La Menu, Menu Susi Mori, Mori Sushi Menu, Mori Sushi Los Angeles Menu, and Sushi, Westwood Boulevard, Los Angeles 90064.

Featured in Los Angeles

Lares011174

Loves Mori Sushi (1)

lindsayw

Wants to Try Mori Sushi (2)

Cxi0fk-p8r4ktmeje4bmuj
justin

Chicago, IL

sushifoode

Burbank, CA

Listed On

Best Sushi in Los Angeles by foodha

Note: Known for being a "purist", this is where you go for authentic sushi at it's best - as well as sushi with a Californian twist.

Nearby Restaurants