Neighborhoods: Center City East
Cuisine: Japanese, Sushi, Private Parties

Morimoto is a Japanese, Sushi, and Private Parties restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid more than $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

foodbuddha photo

New York, NY

Simply amazing. I was afraid the Iron Chef would fail to...

Simply amazing. I was afraid the Iron Chef would fail to live up his name, but he more than exceeded his reputation. Morimoto’s doesn’t look like much from the outside, and the decor might shock you initially. However, once you’re sitting down and enjoying the Iron Chef’s creations, you know you’re someplace special.

Each dishes from the chef’s tasting menu (Omakase) was original and delicious. My favorites were:
halibut tartare – this was the perfect start to omakase. the tartare was extremely refreshing and the textures went together perfectly.
panko-crusted lamb chops – probably the best dish of the night. the dish sounds simple, but somehow the chops made me so so happy.

Spatocks photo

Sewell, NJ

Food Quality: Absolutely top of the line food. Chef Morim...

Food Quality: Absolutely top of the line food. Chef Morimoto does a fantastic job fusing traditional and modern Japanese cuisine while at the same time likening it to the foreign palate. This is not to say he can’t stand his ground with a traditional japanese chef. The sushi is absolutely top rate. Tuna and Yellowtail are particularly good. Also, Morimoto restaurant is only one of three restaurants that can make the sushi rice perfectly seasoned. Try it!

Food Presentation: Astounding. You get what you’re paying for in terms of taste and style.

Service: Service was a bit slower than many restaurants… but I didn’t mind hanging around since I was shelling out nearly 80 dollars for a meal. Waiters are incredibly knowledgeable yet seemed a bit pretentious at times. Finally, if you’re lucky, you can meet Morimoto. He walks around the restaurant on occasion! I haven’t washed my hand since.

Atmosphere: Another ultra-chic restaurant in philly… no surprise though as it is a Steven Starr restaurant… he tends to go all out. Check it out on the website.

Overall Impression: Definitely worth at least one trip. The restaurant is similar to some of the upscale dining I’ve seen in Tokyo and does a great job at presenting new unique culinary works of art.

Visited: 2 times

Price: 40-80 per person

Possibly the best meal i've ever had. Over cooked my stea...

Possibly the best meal i’ve ever had. Over cooked my steak on the first try but the waiter was very apologetic and nice. I wouldn’t be surprised ( but im not expecting) that morimoto was back there cooking himself.

webbygale photo

New York, NY

By far, one of the best experiences I've had outside of N...

By far, one of the best experiences I’ve had outside of NYC. This place was well worth the two hour drive down there. (The best part is picking up some cheesesteaks on the way back.) I ordered the omakase which is the chef’s choice of several dishes. Every dish I had was spectacular, especially the tartare. I took a star away because the dessert they gave me was utterly disgusting. It was vanilla ice cream in beer with licorice flavoring. (at least that’s what it tasted like.) DISGUSTING. I would still order the omakase, but if they handed me the same dessert, I’ll just skip it.

I also got to see Morimoto himself! And someone got proposed to. It was very sweet :]

mandahop photo

Expensive and Unimpressive

I have to admit I love the Iron Chef, but his restaurant in Philly is not so hot. I’ve eaten there twice – both times I was just….underwhelmed. The food is largely unoriginal, and while it isn’t bad, it isn’t especially good either. The futuristic decor in the ladies room was the most memorable part of the Morimoto experience.

AlphonseT photo

It is what it is...

Recently voted one of the most overrated restaurants by PhillyMag, I’m afraid I’d have to agree. Yes, it’s credited with reinventing the Philly scene, bringing New York trendiness to our own streets. And the decor is still pretty amazing, but the food I’ve had each time was good (not great). Though like most people say, you go to Starr restaurants for the experience more than anything. I do wonder sometimes, whether’s its really worth it to shell out $45 for a 2×2 slab of fish, when i could buy 4 meals with that in an equally tasty place in chinatown.

Sea Bass

Again, good, not great. Well prepared and seasoned, etc. Just don’t know if the markup is worth it.

foodie76 photo

Voorhees, NJ

Very good but expected more

I love sushi, i love Food Network and Morimoto is known by chefs in the area to be a real nice guy. I had mostly sushi and I would say it was very good but that it. The wine bar upstairs has a decent list of wines. The food was good but not worth all the $.

Japanese Center City Sushi

Chicago, IL

Glenside, PA

Burbank, CA

Morimoto  Restaurant Reviews

• 05/27/2013 - A diner from Eagle, CO tried it and liked it.
Morimoto is located near the cities of Middle City East, Rittenhouse, Middle City West, William Penn Annex East, and Pennsport.
People found this by searching for: Best Dish At Morimoto Philadelphia, Morimoto Omakase Philadelphia, Morimoto Philadelphia Menu, Morimoto Philadelphia Vegetarian Menu, Morimoto Philade, Morimoto Philadelphia Vegetarian, and Morimoto Hours.