503-464-1122

212 Sw Stark St ( )

Portland, OR 97204

Neighborhoods: Downtown

View Hours
Description: Mother's Bistro & Bar is a American, Breakfast, and Desserts restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.
Tags: American, Breakfast, Desserts, Good for groups, Takeout, Vegan, Good For Kids, Traditional, American (New), and Salads
  • 2 dishes entered by diners at Mother's Bistro & Bar
  • 1 user loves Mother's Bistro & Bar
Tips:
  • Discounted drinks and food items every week on Tue-Fri 9am-6pm.
  • The place is packed on weekends, so call ahead for reservations. Only complete parties will be seated.
  • Mother's is very obliging to children with a kids' menu and milk served in cups with lids and straws.
  • Take a sip during their "High Tea" hours Tue-Sat: 2:30pm-5:30pm.

Reviews for Mother's Bistro & Bar

Editorial Review by Gayot »

3.0

Mother's Good but Bistro and Bar Dissappoints- "Stink Pot"

Dear Chef,
We are frequent customers of Mother’s restaurant. We have reccommended it a million times to friends, family, and so many other people that we have lost count. But on our last visit…WOW, and this not a good WOW.
We sat in the bar, BAD CHOICE. To start with the help was all male in the bar. Absolutely no warmth from any bartender or server all night, and very few smiles from anyone. Remember now…Mother’s….hmmm…M-o-t-h-e-r-s…….the name suggests warm and fuzzy. Not WORN and FUSSY! We waited an unusual amount of time to be served by the bartender who really seemed put out when asked a few questions about wine. My wife even commented on the continual cash register meetings by 3-4 servers. What was so interesting on that darn cash machine? Here was the clincher-You know how servers will put the menu down the back of their pants? I’t’s kind of the hip thing to do. Well this tall male server had the large long menu shoved down his pants so far that it hindered his bending over movement. Pretty funny to watch but not really appetizing when you get handed the menu with butt juice on it. I swear he had this folded menu down so deep it was embeded where the “sun don’t shine”. Does “plumbers crack” ring a bell? Please TAKE THE MENU OUT OF YOUR PANTS!! O.K. it might not have been THE menu but he was handling it all night and serving food. Not good.

Now, to our dinner, Food was a bit salty. We love the pot roast dinner but the amount of meat was lacking from past visits. Mashers were good and we enjoyed ouselves if for nothing else the “menu boy” was fun to watch for most of the night. We had to ask for the dessert cookies because he forgot. He just handed us the bill and walked away. It was obvious that the “all female” diners where treated much diiferently than we were on this night.

Pot Roast

Pot Roast dinner is our favorite but not on this night. A little salty for the both of us. Mashers good and desserts are always awesome. This place is one of my regular “top ten” best restaurants in Portland, Or.

4.0

Portland, Or - Part 3 The End

We heard about Mother’s on day 1 and ran into it accidently day 3. Accidently running into Mother’s Bisto and Bar is like a kid accidently running into a Toy’s r Us or an Asian Business Man accidently running into a Karaoke Bar. One look at the menu and we knew we were eating here. Mother’s is a simple stylish southern grandma’s house looking restaurant that serves upscale comfort food. For Breakfast they’re known for, their Frittatas, Biscutts and Wild Salmon Hash. For lunch and dinner they are known for their Fried Chicken, Cheddar Cheese Macaroni & Cheese or Mother’s Macaroni & Cheese Du Jour, Meatloaf and Pot Roast. Everything on this menu looks good.

We took the waiters advise and ordered, “their most popular dishes,” the Wild Salmon Hash, Stuffed Frittata and Tofu Scramble. The Wild Salmon was good, but not as good as i would have expected from their most popular dish. It was very flaverful and creamy, but looked like a 10 and was really an 8. The Frittata, which is kinda like an open faced omelet is stuffed with bacon, cheddar cheese and potatoes and topped with sour cream and green onions and it was amazing. This was comfort breakfast food at it’s best. This is the kinda food that makes Oprah fat, again. The Tofo Scramble was really fresh and flavorful and great if you’re going for the veggie thing, not usually my style, but it was very good. The high light of the meal however were the Biscuts, which were the most amazing and best biscuts I’ve ever had. These things were crusted on the top and so moist in the center you didn’t even need butter or honey. I’d go back for the biscuts alone.

Another great thing about Mother’s is at the end of the meal they bring you this little heavenly plate of cookies… I thought the waiter, a dude, wanted me or something, but no, he was just bring the cookies that he brings complementary to every table. I guess his winking at me meant nothing…

The table next to us ordered the dessert special and after seeing it and tasting the free cookies I wanted one too. Today it was White Chocolate Bread Pudding. Like a lot of people, it looked better than it actually tasted. Don’t get me wrong, it was good, but not incredible.

November 3, 2013

This is my favorite place for breakfast on a sunday with my family. I enjoy going here very much. Long wait sometimes but worth the wait.

January 17, 2013

Just moved to Portland and was so lucky to find this place. Aside from the wait, everything was just incredible. It'll be the place I bring family to when they visit.

September 7, 2012

Brunch: SO good. Get the crunchy french toast!

Mother's Bistro & Bar is located near the cities of Alameda Beaumont Wilshire and Hillsdale.
People found this by searching for: Mother's Restaurant Portland, Mothers Bistro Menu, Mothers Bistro Portland Menu, Mother S Restaurant Portland, Mother Cafe Portland Or, Mother's Bistro Portland Oregon, Mothers Restaurant Portland Or, Mother's Bistro Portland, and Mothers Diner Portland Breakfast Restaurants.

Lrrqojfo