Nu Way Restaurant

316-267-1131

1416 W Douglas Ave ( )

Wichita, KS 67203-6124

Neighborhoods: Delano

Description: Nu Way Restaurant is a Fast Food, Sandwiches, and Subs restaurant where most Menuism users came for a meal on the go and paid less than $10.
Tags: Fast Food, Sandwiches, Subs, Wraps, Good For Kids, Takeout, Good for groups, and Burgers

Overall: 93%    Food: 90%    Service: 100%    Ambiance: 100%

Reviews for Nu Way Restaurant

Nu Way Restaurant

2.0

82 Year Anniversary: Unorganized & Somewhat Flavorless

My husband and I just recently moved to Wichita and were curious as to what exactly the “crumbly burger” means to the mind of a local. I didn’t give it too much thought until I saw that it was their 82-year anniversary and they were offering 82-cent crumbly burgers with the appropriate coupon in hand. Being new to the area, I had no idea where to locate a coupon. So I checked the website: no coupons. I checked Facebook: no coupons. I emailed the company through their site and proceeded to get three responses from three different people over the next week or so.

The first email sent me a coupon that was only good for that day. Too bad I didn’t check my email until two days later. The second and third emails both said to check the local paper. Of course, those responses came after we actually went to the joint.

When we arrived the drive-through was crazy, but the inside seemed manageable. It was packed. People were coming out of the woodwork for their crumbly burger fix. I sent my husband to get a table. We could see that we would need one in advance. As I waited for my order to be taken, the woman behind the counter was patient: it was obvious that this was my first time here. I had questions. I ordered two medium burgers, onion rings, tots, and one of their famous rootbeers. Why no diet? Who knows. So I opted for a Diet Dr. Pepper.

As I stepped a half-stride to the left to fill my drink cups, the guy behind me pulls out his coupons. The woman taking orders tells him to keep the paper – he’ll get the price, but they’re not actually taking the coupons. I didn’t complain since the place was filled to a record number (only made more noticeable by the tables piled with multiple trays waiting to be bussed), but I was hurt. Why not give everyone that discount if you’re not even going to take the coupons anyway?

Neither my husband nor I could figure out what the fascination of the crumbly burger is. It’s like getting a sloppy joe without the flavor. The meat seemed to have no seasoning. The tots were hot though. He felt that the batter didn’t stick well enough to the onion rings, though I enjoyed them. As for the rootbeer? He’s a huge fan of Henry Weinhardt’s Vanilla Rootbeer, but the vanilla in this was just over the top.

Did I mention that the world stopped in there so that the woman taking orders could bus the tables? She’d clean one and then yell, “Open table!” at which point someone would run-up and grab it. You’d think that they could have scheduled an extra person to bus tables and help with the general busy-ness over their Anniversary week. Regardless, I don’t think I see any more crumbly burgers in my future…