203-267-7788

100 Main St N ( )

Southbury, CT 06488-3839

Description: Oriental Gourmet is a Chinese, Asian, and Halal restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal.
Tags: Chinese, God save is..........., Asian, Halal, Thai, and Takeout
  • 2 dishes entered by diners at Oriental Gourmet

Reviews for Oriental Gourmet

3.0

Food just OK, not memorable

Three of us went for lunch and wished that more people were there – just to get the wait staff away from us! There is quiet, efficient service and then there is annoying hovering. Do not order the Vietnamese spring rolls. Dreadful, gigantic things that stick to the plate and your fingers and filled with 90% iceberg lettuce. You feel like you are being rushed to get out and no way can you enjoy the meal. Will NOT be going back.

3.0

so-so stuff

we get sushi there. It’s somewhat reliable for that. Also the Thai-based dishes aren’t bad. Any other type of ‘chinese’ food is pretty poor – heavy, ‘americanized’, greasy. If you have nothing else to compare it to, you wouldn’t really know good authentic chinese, so I guess it’s all relative. Once you eat real chinese food from chinatown in NY, Boston, San Francisco, you realize this doesn’t come close to authenticity or quality. Can’t speak to the service, we’ve only gotten take-out.

CONSISTANTLY GOOD

My mother lives in Southbury, and we often eat at this restaurant. The food is wonderful and the service is exemplary. We are always treated well and enjoy the experience of trying new menu items. Our server, Jasmine (wife of the owner) is always pleasant and is very willing to customize a dish for my mom’s unique taste. The portions are more than enough, and we always leave with some to take home. All in all, a great place to go where you don’t have to guess what you’re getting. The quality and service are top notch for a reasonably priced restaurant.

General Tso's Duo

This is a staple of Chinese restaurants, but the Duo comes with chicken AND beef. I was impresed with the crispy-sweet beef, and the mildly zingy sauce.

Oriental Gourmet

This is a study in INDIFFERENCE.

My Ma thought this would be a good idea. I, a sushi snob from NY, Boston, DC, Chi-town was more than leary but…
I must say what passes for dining in Southbury sure has diminished if this place is any example.
Enviorment: dingy
Not real clean anywhere …but don’t use the rest room.
Staff: Indifferent.
Sushi: Honestly the poorest example of the stuff I’ve ever seen. Age, consistency, appearance, presentation…
the whole bit was kind of disgusting. I’m sure there are better Sushi joints in the CT. burbs. The only reason this place is still here is no doubt the lazy shopper looking for a chinese slop buffet for the requisite $6.95 or something. I blew $50
on the garbage we had. Do not, I repeat DO NOT subject small children to this stuff as the bacteria count is no doubt unusually high!!!!

sushi

Nearly undigestable. inexcusably poorly preserved and presented.
Service: Indifferent, in that “I don’t really speak well and could give a damn” sort of way that some Asian places suffer from. I can not condone such complete indifference with regard to all aspects of the experience…nor should you.

Add/Show Comments (1)

Oriental Gourmet is located near the cities of Heritage Village, Hatfield, South Britain, and Southford.
People found this by searching for: Oriental Restaurant, Southbury, Oriental Gourmet Southbury Ct, Oriental Gormet Southbury Ct,, Oriental Gourmet Southbury Ct Menu, Oriental Gourmet Southbury, Chinese Restaurant Southbury Ct, Oriental Gourmet In Southbury,Ct., and Southbury Ct Chinese.

Dipalmas New York Pizza
Dipalmas New York Pizza

Nearby Restaurants

Link to Oriental Gourmet

Oriental Gourmet  Restaurant Reviews

Overall:  100%  Food:  100%  Service:  100%  Ambiance:  100%
Pros
  •  "Excellent food"