Painted Parrot

8028 West National Avenue
Milwaukee, WI 53214

Cuisine: Caribbean, American, Eclectic

Painted Parrot is a Caribbean, American, and Eclectic restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

Overall
LeAnnJ photo

LeAnnJ

Painted Parrot 3.0

Fabulous Nachos!

I really wish I could say more about the Painted Parrot, but really, my recent experience was just average. Aside from the nachos our group ordered as an appetizer to share, I can’t even remember what I had to eat off the menu, that’s how unmemorable it was! I have been to the bar here previously and shared an order of the Big Ass Nachos with another group so I will attest to how good they are as I definitely remembered them the first time around, but mostly I was not impressed. It’s a fun atmosphere and great for happy hour or late night bar hopping, but as far as a restaurant goes, there are probably other places I would choose to go to first before the Painted Parrot.

Big Ass Nachos

Whether it’s the smaller platter or the large “garbage can lid” full of nachos (don’t worry – it’s clean!), you will not be disappointed. Lots of toppings and lots of flavor! Yum!

CrazyCurlsChica photo

CrazyCurlsChica

Painted Parrot 1.0

What a disappointment

Utterly disappointing. Not even a mediocre experience.

I used to work on 84th and Cleveland, and coworkers and I would frequently come here for lunch or after dinner drinks and dinner. I moved out of state. Fast forward 2 years, and now I’m back home for a bit visiting family and friends, and I couldn’t wait to go back here! What a disappointment. Where to start…

The inside temperature of the restaurant was very cold. I understand we all have to tighten our belts due to tough economic times, but I shouldn’t have to wear a winter coat inside the restaurant.

The menu was such a bummer. They got rid of my favorite appetizer, the coconut chicken tenders. They were sheer perfection. In general, the menu was greatly diminished from “the good old days.” Very limited choices. I had difficulty finding something and really felt like I was settling on something.

I got the Jerk Chicken Sandwich. While it was a good sandwich, and the bun was toasted very well, I wouldn’t quite say it was “jerk” flavored; I would say more grilled and seasoned. I paid the extra $1.99 for the sweet potato fries, which was another one of my old faves. They were well-cooked; however, $1.99 extra?! Highway robbery.

My dining companion got a seafood platter of some sort. It came with 2 pieces of fried cod, breaded and fried shrimp, breaded and fried scallops, a crab cake , and then french fries. The fried cod is served with tartar sauce; nothing special. The shrimp was served without any sauce of any kind. She said the cod, shrimp, and scallops were mediocre, but the crab cake was fishy and inedible.

The sodas were almost $3.00 a piece, and the syrup was not adjusted well. The taste of my Diet Coke was not quite right, but it wasn’t as bad as my companion’s Diet Sprite, which tasted quinine and like seltzer water – its syrup was greatly lacking. Our waitress left us alone for over 15 minutes, and I had to go up to the bar, where she was, and get her attention to get a different soda.

And here’s the coup de grâce --- Part way through the meal, a toddler, around the age of 1.5 – 2 years old, wandered into the booth behind us, unaccompanied by any adults. He was unattended for over 10 minutes, all the while yelling, making loud noises, banging things on the table, stomping on the bench, causing our bench to vibrate. When I went up to the bar for the soda replacement (see above), I politely asked the waitress if she knew whose child was alone in the bench…AND IT WAS HER CHILD! Her male partner was sitting at the bar, and neither of them saw any problem with leaving the child unattended and to cause a nuisance for patrons.

The dismal inside temperature, the pathetically scaled down menu, the overpriced and inferior sodas, the (less than) mediocre food, the ridiculous upcharge for sweet potato fries, and the idiocy of the waitress bringing her child to work and using the restaurant as free babysitting services made for a superbly inadequate dining experience, and I will not be returning.

Jerk Chicken

Utterly disappointing. Not even a mediocre experience.

eryngo photo

eryngo

Painted Parrot 4.0

Where else can you get great food served on a trash can lid?

Well, this has now become my new favorite place for Friday night fish fry, and apparently I am not the only one! We showed up at 6:00pm thinking we’d beat the rush, but they were already on a one hour wait. We chilled out with a couple of really tasty ritas (I’m not sure what they do to their rimmer but the salt was a fun shade of yellow) and the meal was well worth the wait!

All You Can Eat Fish Fry

While I do on occasion like to experiment with different types of fish for fish fry (some places offer pollock, haddock, smelt, pike, tilapia, perch, blue gill, etc), I am and probably always will be a die-hard cod fan when it comes to Wisconsin’s most popular Friday night meal. And let me tell you how Painted Parrot does it! Everything you love about cod… light and flaky, firm and tender, not too subtle and not too fishy… the pieces of fish practically fall apart into nice, big chunks before even being touched by a fork. There are a variety of sides that come with this meal… I had salted rye bread, cole slaw (mediocre), potato pancakes (excellent!) and I also pilfered plenty of french fries from my dining companion. And yes… it all came served on a trash can lid. With plenty of lemon wedges and tartar sauce, the only thing that was missing was the malt vinegar.

Caribbean American Eclectic

Painted Parrot  Restaurant Reviews

• 03/14/2013 - A diner tried it and liked it.
  • 04/13/2013 - A diner from Milwaukee, WI tried it and liked it.
  • 08/19/2013 - A diner from Delhi, IA tried it, liked it, and rated it 3 stars. They didn't like the food, didn't like the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 08/30/2013 - A diner from Newton, IA tried it.
  • 10/12/2013 - A diner tried it and liked it. They liked the food and liked the service.
  • 10/22/2013 - A diner from Delhi, IA tried it.
  • 11/20/2013 - A diner tried it.
  • 01/24/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 03/08/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 4 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 04/04/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 06/06/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 06/06/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 4 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 01/05/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 01/10/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 02/25/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 03/06/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 4 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 03/27/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 04/29/2015 - A diner tried it and liked it. They liked the food and liked the service.
People found this by searching for: Painted Parrot, Painted Parrot Milwaukee Fish Fry, Painted Parrot Milwaukee, Painted Parrot West Allis Menu, Painted Parrot Restaurant Milwaukee, Lobster 53214, Painted Parrot Menu, and Painted Parrot Milwaukee Menu.