414-265-7227

2213 N Dr Martin Luther King Dr ( )

Milwaukee, WI

Neighborhoods: Halyard Park

Description: Paje is a restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid less than $10, and tipped less than 15%.
Tags: nothing yet.
  • 1 dish entered by diners at Paje

Reviews for Paje

• 4 reviews
  • First reviewed by cathyd

2.0

Trying something new

Some friends, my boyfriend, and I were looking for a new restaurant to try. We saw a Groupon for Paje, so we decided to check it out. The restaurant had not been open that long, but we were very curios. There were two other tables occupied when we walked in, and were seated by a large window, which was a little chilly. We waited for a bit and then someone took our drink order. My friend ordered coffee, which they were out of, so she settled on a soda instead. Two other groups came in and were seated. We were still waiting to place our order, but the waiter took the orders of one of the tables that were seated after us first. He did finally make his way to us. I ordered the Fried Green Tomatoes for appetizers, which were really good. Our group ordered the chicken wings, red velvet waffles and chicken, a po’boy, and I ordered the catfish and hushpuppies. The food took quite a while to arrive, when they started to bring out the food, my friend who ordered the po’boy was given the lobster mac & cheese. When she told the waiter this wasn’t what she ordered, he looked confused and didn’t seem to believe her, as he asked what she had ordered. The lobster mac & cheese did look very good though. After another 10 minutes or so our food was brought out. I had ordered the catfish and hushpuppies, the half order, but did not get any hushpuppies. When I inquired about them, I was told that the hushpuppies didn’t come with the half order. Nowhere on the menu did it say that they only come with the full order. Overall the food was good, but service was definitely lacking, and I couldn’t believe some of the items that they were out of.

3.0

Dinner with friends

My girlfriend, myself and two of our friends dined at this restaurant to try something new. It was a good experience but not amazing. The layout and look of the restaurant was very good. The menu included some good “soul food” options. I like to try new types of food and was excited about it. The waiter seemed new and the service was slow. I tried there chicken wings. They were good but not overly exciting. The experience was good but not sure if I would go back again.

3.0

Interesting but challenging

The night that we dined at Paje was quite truly a challenge. When we arrived we were not greeted by a hostess. Given the size of the restaurant a hostess is needed.
We were however greeted by the Pie Man… who soon became our best friend.
We congregated at the Bar area ordering wine. For our guess who ordered white wine it had inadvertently turned into a wine slushie. The owner informed our guests that she would go to the basement and get a new bottle that wasn’t so chilly.
When we informed them that we had reservations for 8 they clearly had no record or understanding of our prior registration. They pointed to a table that was already occupied and informed us that when the guests at that table left we would be given that table. One look at that table made it clear that the guests at that table weren’t leaving for 30 minutes.
When we talked to the manager we learned that half of her staff
didn’t call in and failed to show up.
No matter how good of a manager you are if you lose key staff you will have problems.
As a result I am reserving judgement on Paje. I will come back in a couple of months when the restaurant manager has returned from disability and when they have an adequate chance to address their staffing issues to dine there again.
Why?
1. The price is right.
2. Parking is adequate.
3. I am putting my money where my mouth is.
4. If you truly love southern cooking and you want to get it after hours you will only have one opportunity. That opportunity is Paje.
5. They have banana pudding. For the uninitiated banana pudding should never come from a package. When it is done properly it is something you dream about and crave, There should be not chemical preservative after-taste. It should be a comfy soothing spoon of happiness loaded with such flavor that you can’t even begin to think about the calories involved in one serving. And note it must include meringue. If it does not have meringue it is not banana pudding.It will be bananas and instant banana or vanilla pudding.
The one thing I am hoping for is that they bring in the Jamaican element. For anyone who has every had jerk chicken in Jamaica or Fish for breakfast in Jamaica you can understand the desire for the Jamaican yummies.

Southern Style Dishes with a twist

We’d heard some mixed reviews about Paje – really great food, but a very slow, inexperienced wait staff. While the food menu looks very interesting, my rating for their restaurant is totally based on service…

I visited on Saturday, Jan 19, 2012 with a group of 8 diners. Reservations had been made over a week ago for 6:30pm. At least 6 of us had arrived by that time. They did not start putting our tables together until about 6:45pm – even though the tables had emptied. We didn’t mind as we were congregating at the bar, meeting one another and talking.

While the servers and bartenders were very polite, they seemed to walk slowly and often walked to the back area carrying nothing and returning with nothing. (huh??)

It takes over 15 minutes to get a drink at the bar… even if no one else is around. One time, the bartender was out of wine glasses and it took over 15 min before he returned with one. One, not more.

Once seated at our table, it wasn’t until 7:30pm when someone came to ask if we wanted something to drink. We asked for menus and several ordered drinks and water. 10 minutes later, a server brought 3 glasses of water at a time. Drinks came much later – a few at a time.

It was around 7:45pm when we ordered 8 entrees and 3 appetizers. Around 8:30pm, the first of the entrees started arriving. One or two plates at a time – with 10-15 minutes before the next 1 or 2 arrived. At 8:30pm, there were two of us who had not received our dinners. They brought one and then the server came to me and said “there aren’t any more pork chops. Would you like to order a substitute?” I started laughing and said “no, thank you. I’ll just stop somewhere on the way home and get something.”

A few minutes later, our appetizers started to arrive. But only one…. They told us they were out of portabellos – would we like to order a different appetizer?? (Seriously!)

While the decor inside Paje is totally awesome, the service is so poorly managed that one wonders how they’ve stayed open all this time.

Pork Chops

I ordered the Pork Chop, seared and served over hashed browned potatoes, plus a side of Spinach with Parmesan Cheese.

An hour later, the server told me they were out of Pork Chops. I did not re-order anything.

My rating on the dish is based on how I thought it might taste after hearing my fellow diners comment on their entrees: some “good”, some “too dry”, some “it’s not cajun shrimp”, one “it has a weird taste”, and one “I really like this”.

If they can POSSIBLY get someone in there to properly manage and light a fire under their staff, it could turn into a wonderful gem of a restaurant. Sadly, it doesn’t look like that will happen…

People found this by searching for: Paje Restaurant, Paje Milwaukee Menu, Paje Restaurant Milwaukee, Paje Restaurant Milwaukee Menu, Paje Menu, Paje In Milwaukee, Cafe Paje Milwaukee, and Paje Milwaukee.

The Capital Grille