828-865-5000

142 Water St ( )

Boone, NC 28607

Neighborhoods: Downtown Boone

Description: Proper is a Southern-style and American restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped less than 15%.
Tags: Southern-style, Boone, Good Food, American, Takeout, and Good for groups

Reviews for Proper

Delicious and reasonable

This restaurant serves up tasty, modern Southern fare. The prices are great for the quality of the food.

Their main menu is a meat and two sides plate, with a regular set of sides and the meat being several selections that changes based on the day. They also do sandwiches, salads, appetizers and fantastic desserts.

The collards here are to die for. And if you don’t dig collards – my wife doesn’t – the potatoes and gray or the mac and cheese are also delicious.

Depending on the season and what’s available locally, they also make special stuff. One special was a pickled watermelon salad that I loved.

For the price, this is the best restaurant in Boone.

Delicious Southern-style with a Modern flair

A wonderful dining experience, I have been multiple times and loved every one. The southern-fried catfish is delicious, not too much breading and not too salty. Same goes for the fried chicken and okra. Collard greens are salty with pork just like your grandmas. But they also have “healthier” items, among my favorites are their black bean soup (served several times a week), Texas chili, and the grilled chicken with some nice veggie sides. Yum! Wait staff is generally nice, although a little slow at times for my lunch hour, but this is the kind of restaurant you want to linger over dinner. Great job, Angela and team!

Never again!

I called the resturant to check on the wait time. Was told that they had a table for two available. We show up and were seated in a corner table, no room to move at all. We asked about moving to another table, and were moved, only to be told by the rude hostess that that table was saved for someone else. So back to the crowded corner table we go. We were told by our server that this was the worst table in the place. My wife orders potato soup, which tasted like corn chowder. No potatoes in it at all. My meatloaf was good, along with the collards and mac and cheese. I just was not fond of eating at a crowded table facing the corner of the room. Literally pinned against a wall two feet from the corner. They did not charge us for the meal, but we were so disillusioned by the whole experience that we went to the local Cracker Barrel for dessert and coffee to unwind! I wouldn’t recommend Proper, and we will never return.

2.0
-1 1

Leftovers

A couple of friends have been there for lunch and raved about it so we tried it for dinner and the best part was the wine. Like a previous reviewer stated the catfish was fried to a crisp as were the potatoes. Everything tasted like warmed up leftovers as the menu is the same everynight and it came out so fast there wasn’t time to cook it first. The cutest thing about the place before was the cozy little bar in the back and that’s gone, replace by the kitchen. Don’t think I’ll be back.

Add/Show Comments (1)

2.0
-1 0

Good food, bad attitude

I have eaten here twice. The first time was a pretty good experience- the food was tasty and reasonably priced. We ate in a corner by the fireplace, which was excellent on a snowy day. Strange table interactions with our waitress were the only downside.

The second time we visited we were turned away by the hostess(es), who rudely informed us that they would not serve us because they needed to prepare for the staff Christmas party- despite the fact that the restaurant didn’t close for another 30 minutes and was full of people happily enjoying their food (as we had hoped to do). I don’t think the addition of 2 more guests would have impeded any kind of party preparations, and resent the disrespectful and condescending manner in which the staff handled the incident. It was fairly obvious that we were denied service because the staff was ready to party and didn’t feel like letting anyone else in the door.

I’m seconding the im-Proper motion- it’s improper business to treat your customers as though you are above them somehow! Not coming to lunch again until the owners/management gets some FOH staff with better attitudes.

-1 0

better and better - my favorite in Boone

I’ve eaten at Proper three times now and it just keeps getting better. It’s become my favorite place in Boone. Everything is prepared to perfection. Because it was advertised as “a meat and three vegetables” I was worried because I don’t eat meat. But there was so much good food to eat, including a vegetarian entree each night, I came away happy and full. Try the fried green tomatoes – not greasy, just good. All of the food has a Southern touch, but the preparation sets it apart. It’s not greasy or overcooked. And even the fried food, like the delicious fried okra, has a slightly different and better taste than the home fried version. The deserts are absolutely the best I’ve had in Western North Carolina, including in Asheville and Charlotte. This place is good, and it’s really inexpensive. I’ll be back. BTW, I saw the ugly first review and the mention of the failed restaurants at the Jail House, but this one is by far the best. The food suits the setting, and I think it will still be here in ten years.

-1 2

Proper is anything but

Get ready to add another restaurant in Boone’s old jailhouse to the long list of failures there. The food was so deep fried you couldn’t tell what it was – a DNA test determined it was catfish! The cole slaw would bring a garbage disposal to a grinding halt. The cornbread tasted like the main ingredient was sawdust. The service was sloppy, surly, and slow. A scent of hemp wafted out from the kitchen area perhaps explaining a lot! The check was presented in an American Express holder but … they don’t take Amex! They need to put an “I” and an “m” in front of their name.

Add/Show Comments (2)

Proper is located near the cities of Sands.
People found this by searching for: Prorer Restuarant In Boone, Proper Southern Food Boone, Proper Boone Nc, Proper Boone, Nc, Proper Boone, Proper Southern Food Boone Nc, Proper Restaurant Boone, and Proper Restaurant Boone Nc.

Sakura Japanese Seafood & Steakhouse
The Gamekeeper
Coyote Kitchen
Casa Rustica

Proper_866359_bb

Link to Proper

Proper  Restaurant Reviews

Overall:  100%  Food:  100%  Service:  100%  Ambiance:  100%
Pros
  •  "Fried chicken to die for! I'm going back for more! Generous (good) wine serving and great feeling! Love it"
Cons
  •  "Get there early! Quite popular among locals who know it"
Comments
  •  "Hope it doesn't change"