760-723-2279

4815 5th St ( )

Fallbrook, CA 92028-9793

View Hours
Description: Rainbow Oaks Restaurant is a American, Steak, and Prime Rib restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Fried chicken, Takeout, Good For Kids, American, Value, Excellence., Bread Pudding, Tapioca, Cobb Salad, and Meat Loaf
  • 2 dishes entered by diners at Rainbow Oaks Restaurant
  • 1 user loves Rainbow Oaks Restaurant

Reviews for Rainbow Oaks Restaurant

• 2 reviews
  • First reviewed by guess
Rainbow Oaks Restaurant

Not just the best game in town....

Rainbow Oaks used to be a watering hole for the Weekend Bikers… and nobody traveling up or down I-15 through Rainbow could have missed the sign for the only restaurant in town. And it was more a watering hole than restaurant… dark… smoky… and noisy. Not surprising… it did not survive the 2008 Economy… Thank Goodness.

In April of 2009 Duke and Jonell Maples re-opened Rainbow Oaks… after a complete remodel. It is cute… charming… spotless… and the food is GREAT! We heard from some friends that the food was good… but did not know the story of the remodel and new owners… so blew it off remembering the old Rainbow Oaks for terrible food. Then we heard that it was new ownership… and stopped in for Lunch. New Game… and a new winner for North County. This is worth a day trip.

The setting is quaint… below I-15 on old Highway 395 at the corner of 5th Street… and surrounded by a beautiful Oak Grove. There is rustic outside patio dining… and inside… a transformation. It is now light… bright… knotty pine walls… stone flooring… beamed ceiling… and a wonderful collection of historical photos of Rainbow. There is still counter seating… so it still has that warm ambiance of a 50’s Diner or Cafe. While there looks like plenty of tables and booths… be ready for a wait… it’s the only game in town… and it’s drawing from way outside of town.

Their steaks… they have several cuts… are Midwestern Corn Fed beef and the menu is full of surprises like pierogies… homemade Tapioca…. Bread Pudding… and Meatloaf.

They have daily Lunch specials and Dinner Specials. Tuesday night is Fried Chicken… and that is what got us there last night. It was packed. For good reason. Duke said Hi… remembered my Cowboy hat from when we had been in before… and we met Jonell… who promptly told us that she was the brains of the works. No reason to question that. We were having fun… and we didn’t even have a table yet.

We quickly got a booth and Maile our smiling waitress got us started with a cold draft beer… Service is prompt… friendly… and attentive.

Terri had gotten a recommendation at her hair salon that afternoon for the fried chicken… and judging from the crowd… it must be pretty good. So we did not even pay much attention to the menu… ordered two Fried Chicken Specials. See the review of the dish following this.

We could not believe the size of the portions when it was delivered… and even more of a surprise… I almost licked my plate. While we were stuffing ourselves… the table next to us got their order… one had ordered a steak… it looked incredible… but what made us laugh was when they sat in front of the neighbor… her “California Chicken Sandwich”…. It looked like an entire chicken had crawled onto her choice of breads.

No room for desert… although they sounded great. I took a photo of the before and

Fried Chicken Special

Now this is Fried Chicken. Lots of it too….

I got a leg, wing, thigh (a real one… not some unknown cut) and a huge breast.

Wonderfully seasoned… fried crispy… and inside… moist… juicy and delicious. Not doughy like KFC can be sometimes.

Excellent steamed vegetable… broccoli… zucchini… squash.

Real mashed potatoes… lots of them… and plenty of creamy rich gravy. I was in comfort food heaven… at least I was until I stuffed myself.

I was determined not to take home a doggy bag… and I didn’t. I even took a photo of what we can call the “Rainbow Oaks Doggy Bag”…. and can honestly say “I hurt myself eating”!

Posted the photos to facebook and got an after midnight remark from Tennessee… “Good Job… Mission Accomplished”…

1st & last time

1st and probably last time customers.
Our friend said he got a good burger from here, so my wife & I decided to bring them
back here for an anniversary dinner. The guys ordered up a medium cooked rib-eye and the women went for the 20 oz. prime rib. My wife had a stroke a few years back,
so I had to cut up her meat. Both prime ribs were SOooo marbled with fat that it was difficult to get a decent bite from them. The rib-eyes were OK in the center, but the edges were burnt to charcoal ! My friend’s wife complained to the server about the sad serving and she told us : "Well, what do you expect for a 20 oz. prime rib ? "
I put out $ 153.35 for this crappy dinner and didn’t appreciate being blown off so lightly.
I’m sure there’s good food in there somewhere, but it sure didn’t happen to us on this endeavor. Adios.
PS – even our dogs had trouble with the leftovers.

People found this by searching for: Rainbow Oaks Restaurant Rainbow Ca, Rainbow Oaks Restaurant Fallbrook, Rainbow Oaks Restaurant, Rainbow Restaurant Rainbow Ca, Rainbow Oaks, Rainbow Cafe Rainbow Ca, and Rainbow Oaks Restaurant Fallbrook Ca.

The Veranda Restaurant
MaGee's Tavern
  • star rating
Vince's Pizza

Link to Rainbow Oaks Restaurant

Rainbow Oaks Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

Overall:  100%  Food:  100%  Service:  100%  Ambiance:  100%