Red Oak Cafe

• 1 review
  • First reviewed by Nase
Red Oak Cafe

3.0

Great for people watching!

Red Oak Cafe reminds me of why I want to spend more time relaxing in
Oakland. Sitting at the table, people watching through their large bay
window, I discovered 2 things.
1. I miss people watching and the sense of relaxation that comes with
seeing others bustle about when you yourself have nowhere in
particular to be.
2. When you do take this time to slow down you discover more of the
hidden tucked away gems that only the locals and the truly adventurous
know about.
Red Oak’s atmosphere lends itself well to lone adventurers such as myself. The place was only as loud as a busy coffee shop, and whether they offered free wifi or not didn’t really matter much. When you’re in Oakland the free wifi flows from any of the nearby coffee shops so it’s never terribly troubling to get a signal.
I originally wanted breakfast, pancakes specifically, but was told they do not make pancakes or french toast after 11am. However, all other breakfast items are available. I settled on the blue plate special (which came on a white plate, by the way), of chicken marsala with swiss cheese, brown rice, and green beans.
The setup is a seat-yourself, semiserve-yourself, bus your table situation; which isn’t bad. In fact, I rather like having that control. What I didn’t like so much was getting my silverware from the tray of forks lying on their sides so it’s impossible to get one fork out without touching 2 or 3 others. Also there was a concerning amount of crumbs and debris in the bottom of the tray that was quite the turn-off.
At the end of the meal, I had concluded that I would not be interested
in trying the chicken Marsala a second time. And for fear of H1N1, or
any other flu for that matter, I would not be eager to eat there again
soon. Lest I bring my own silverware.
I give them 3 menus.

Chicken Marsala with brown rice and green beans

First few bites were delicious. Swiss cheese and gravy are not a combination of flavors I have ever had. The chicken was medallion sized. The green beans were a blend of green beans and wax beans.
After a few bites more I soon began to realize my initial excitement may have been overemphasized by my hunger. Which reminds me of another important lesson that when you’re hungry, really hungry, almost everything taste good.

Red Oak Cafe is located near the cities of Pgh, Downtown, Mount Washington, Strip District, and Mt Washington.
People found this by searching for: Red Oak Cafe Menu, Red Oak Menu, Red Oak Cafe Oakland Menu, Red Oak Cafe Oakland, Red Oak Cafe, Red Oak Cafe Menu Pittsburgh, Red Oak Cafe Pittsburgh, and Red Oak Cafe Pittsburgh Menu.

Nearby Restaurants

Starbucks Coffee

Coffee & Tea in Oakland

Quaker Steak and Lube

American in Oakland

Link to Red Oak Cafe

Red Oak Cafe  Restaurant Reviews

Pros
  •  "Very health oriented"
Cons
  •  "Small"
Comments
  •  "A Must see "