514-398-9229

1227 Rue de la Montagne ( Between Boulevard René-Lévesque O and Rue Ste-Catherine O )

Montreal Metro Area, QC H3G 1Z2

Neighborhoods: Ville-Marie

Description: Restaurant Europea is a French and Fine Dining restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid more than $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: French, Experimental Cuisine, Freezing, Food Poisoning, Bad Service, Overpriced, Reservations, OpenTable, Fine Dining, and Expensive
  • 4 dishes entered by diners at Restaurant Europea
  • 2 users want to eat at Restaurant Europea
  • 1 user loves Restaurant Europea

From OpenTable:

Restaurant Europea has become an essential spot on Montreal scene, a gastronomic "rendez-vous" rich in colour and flavour. Flattered by all the gourmet critics, you will share an outstanding experience offered by the creative and modern cuisine of Chef Jérôme ferrer and his 22 chefs team. (named chef of the year, restaurant of the year, "maitre cuisinier de France"
An unforgetable moment in a charming Victorian mansion in the heart of downtown Montreal ...When the cuisine becomes an art!

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for Restaurant Europea

• 4 reviews
  • First reviewed by cleung

Editorial Review by Gayot »

Restaurant Europea

One of the most memorable meals of our lives.

(see explanation of ratings below)

5 of 5 stars (excellent, fine dining).

Huge emphasis on creative showmanship and presentation.

About $90 per person, one cocktail each, no dessert, tax (15%) included, gratuity not included.

Allow 2.5 hours for the smaller of the two price fixe menus.

Simply wonderful event from start to finish.

We had about six amuse bouches including:

-Cheese “lollipops” with truffle popcorn
-jerky on a clothesline
-cheese “cigars”
-mini corn muffins
-book of smoking smoked salmon
-assorted mini desserts

Great service and very good sommelier, Jack Grimaudo.

About my ratings:

Only high-priced dining establishments can garner five stars. Until menuism realizes that a fast food joint cannot possibly be ranked equally with a $100 per person place, I need to draw the line somewhere. If we were only talking about the quality and presentation of the food, it would be a different story. But, as we know, menuism’s rankings take into account the entire dining experience.

Therefore, I divide restaurants into three categories (and I wish menuism would do the same):

1) fast food and “fast-casual”, low-priced (no table service).

2) casual, mid-priced dining (table service, average entrée price: $10-$20).

3) fine, high-priced dining (linen napkins, no plastic cups, no TV’s in dining room, average entrée priced at more than $20, can vary depending on the city).

High-priced dining can earn a max of five stars. Mid-priced dining can earn a max of four stars. Fast food can earn a max of three stars.

Add/Show Comments (1)

congratulations!

What a lovely experience! The restaurant Europea is a wonderful place , and the food is so good, I will remember for a long time the chocolate macaron! thank you to the staf who make me feel like home

Add/Show Comments (1)

Restaurant Europea

The most awful dining experience ever. Don’t go there.

This restaurant is an absolute rip-off. Please avoid it. We went there for New Year’s Eve 2009 to celebrate and enjoy a nice evening, and eat what we thought would be refined food.

We opted for the ten course “menu degustation” dinner with champagne. The evening began really nicely. We were so impressed by the first few appetizers. Although the first two courses really amounted to two tiny bites, the chef seemed to know what he was doing, or so we thought. Then, when we began to trust that this dinner was going to be spectacular, everything changed so dramatically that we were speechless.

Halfway through the dinner, the waiters began to show an attitude, the service became ridiculously slow, and the teaser to the main course was the worst thing we had ever tasted, and every table around us was sending it back: a spiced wine that was so saturated with spices and cinnamon that it was grainy and powdery.

One bite of the main course told me that this was so awful, I was sure another bite would make me sick. My husband, who by then had waited two and a half hours for the main course, and who had been snacking on bread in between the one bite sized appetizers, was so incredibly hungry that he ate the deep-fried tempura-style tuna steak with a strange, oil-soaked crust, and the so-very-obviously-days-old-dried-up-hummus. The tuna was drenched in cold vegetable oil because they did not care to wait for the frying oil to warm up. Absolutely terrible. With every bite my husband would say: “this is awful and dry but I’m so hungry, I’m gonna eat it. I think the mop boy cooked this one.”

The cheese plate was ridiculously salty and not worth eating. The “frozen souffle” was just ice cream. Then, we waited and waited for the desert, until finally, exasperated at the slow service, I pointed out to the waitress that we were still waiting for the last item on the list to arrive. To my surprise, she just said “Oh, that’s the gift bag they give you on the way out.” Then another twenty minutes passed by, and a tray of tiny bite sweets came to the table with an “et voila!” arrogantly said. Well they tasted quite awful, and we realized then why these trays were returning full from all the tables around us.

It was almost midnight and the waiters had taken away the balloons from the tables. There was no happy new year from the staff, no smiles. They were just waiting for the last few tables to clear.

We were freezing cold, the restaurant was depending on a few small electric heaters placed under your feet to counteract the front door that would periodically blow freezing cold air through the entire restaurant. We really couldn’t wait to leave, but the ridiculously slow service dragged this dinner out for four and a half hours.

We were stunned that an evening that started so well could end up so badly. We were incredibly disappointed.

We went home and the disaster began to really be felt. My idiot husband was in and out of the bathroom all night with an awful diahria, and he was sick for the next three days. He had eaten what I tried to warn him not to eat. I felt so bad for him.

Well, would you believe it? When we contacted the restaurant about this serious case of food poisoning, the general manager was so rude, could not care less, and said “a refund is out of the question. Thank you for calling!” After spending $390 on a dinner for two, we were treated in the most terrible way.

Restaurant Europea: the most awful dining experience ever. Don’t go there.

Fixed Menu

Not worth it, not amused

Add/Show Comments (2)

Restaurant Europea

We came to this restaurant by chance. We were roaming ar...

We came to this restaurant by chance. We were roaming around, got hungry, and decided to get lunch in the first restaurant we could find. We were being seated promptly, but the tables were very close together – less than 2 feet. So we ended up listening to our neighbors conversations and made friends with another pair of American couple sitting right next to us LOL. All 4 of us were being surprised with the quality and the presentation of the food, and were extremely pleased with the service. I would definitely not mind paying 2 times more than they ask for, it was a very good value. It definitely reminds me of what food and restaurant experiences really are. I wish I could recommend a dish here, but their menu changes weekly and it’s available online. I desperately want to go back, and I go check out their menu every Monday morning LOL… well you know, maybe I can pick up a few cooking inspirations from their menu?