914-337-3200

124 Pondfield Rd ( )

Bronxville, NY 10708

Description: Sammy's Downtown Bistro is a Bistro, American, and French restaurant where most Menuism users came for a romantic date, paid more than $50, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Bistro, American, Downtown, Bronxville, Bad, Delivery, French, Online Ordering, Good for groups, and Sammy's
  • 7 dishes entered by diners at Sammy's Downtown Bistro
  • 1 user wants to eat at Sammy's Downtown Bistro

From OpenTable:

Sammy's Downtown is a neighborhood restaurant offering American continental cuisine. We believe in friendly, attentive service and a comfortable, attractive environment where good food and wine are guaranteed.

Owner? Claim The Menu

Reviews for Sammy's Downtown Bistro

3.0

who are they fooling with those prices?

Had an early lunch on a Sunday with my family and we had the restaurant to ourselves for most of our meal. However, there were so many people on staff that they were just standing around doing nothing. My family and I felt like we were being watched by Hawks. Every few minutes someone different came over to ask how our food was or if we needed something, it became quite annoying. I like attentive service but it was rude to have them just stare at us. the overall space was nice, but I have heard when the restaurant is crowded it gets very noisy and the seating along the wall looks like it would get tight. Still can’t get over most of the prices, most entrees were in the high 20’s and some foods did not have prices listed. We did not order any of the pastas but each dish seemed like it had too much going on. I find simple to be best when it comes to pasta. Most of the side dishes were either mashed or roasted potatoes or some type of steamed green vegetable. When it comes to what we ordered the appetizers were nice, but just because this restaurant is in Bronxville does not give them the right to have such high prices, they must be kidding! I probably will not be eating here again.

east coast halibut

The fish was described as being served in a butter sage sauce with a side of steamed spinach. The fish was seasoned lightly and cooked well although there was so much sauce! The fish only needed a drizzle meanwhile the plate was filled about half an inch full of this sauce. There was also no sage in it and it had a light pink color so it was not the same as the description in the menu. The spinach was good but you can’t really screw up steamed spinach. Still wish it wasn’t swimming in the sauce!

buffalo mozzarella appetizer

i was actually pretty pleased with this dish. the cheese was creamy and there were a few slices of mango and avocado accompanying it. It was a nice start to the meal.

Very Disappointing

Firstly let me say what I liked about Sammy’s: the staff are friendly & not too intrusive or annoying as they can be in some Bronxville restaurants. The decor is beautiful. However, the tables are too close together making it uncomfortable to have a private conversation. The service is quite good. Our waiter was very efficient. Overall we were very disappointed with this over-priced restaurant, which in our opinion only rates slightly higher than fast-food fare. Will never go back!

Filet Mignon

I ordered filet mignon which was accompanied by mash and asparagus. The steak was so over cooked it resembled a 3 day old piece of liver that had been stuck in the microwave for 10 minutes to reheat it. Not seasoned just disgustingly dry – like chewing rubber. My entire plate was a mess – way too much sauce served with the steak, my food was practically swimming in the sauce – which tasted like it came from a jar – thick, sweet and artificial. My husband ordered the sirloin and said it was just diner quality – greasy fries and bland tasting meat. The one star I gave this meal is for the mashed potatoes!

Add/Show Comments (1)

Sammy's Downtown Bistro

Don't go if you want to celebrate

The waiter was very attentive and knowledgeable about the food he was serving. The food is okay, I’ve had nicer. We had wine with our food, then sat at the bar to have champagne as we were celebrating our friend’s recent engagement. After a while the manager asked us to leave…she said we’d had enough and she was cutting us off!
The restaurant was not busy, we were not rowdy, perfectly civilized adults having lunch and drinks. The manager certainly ruined our afternoon for no reason. She could have dealt with the situation in a much more pleasant manner, just by asking us how we were getting home would have been more polite than saying she’d take our car keys, none of us were driving, we’re adults in our late thirties, we did not need to be treated like badly behaved children. Very disappointed in her attitude and the way she dealt with us. Certainly won’t be back and I’ll make sure I tell everyone else that the food is tasteless.

Chicken Paillard

very disappointing, pretty tasteless chicken

4.0

Sammy's Manager

This is really a review of the manager, I wish I had read Gab1122, before.
My wife is a teacher in a local school, after work twice a month they go for the sunset special prix fix dinner at Sammy’s. There are other groups of teachers that also go to Sammy’s.
I have been there with just my wife in the past, always found the dinner to be quite good. The chef , presentation , staff are exceptional. I agree with other reviews that they are all standing around, as the restaurant is 1/3 full at this time.

After having a very good meal, I requested that my dessert be wrapped to have later, the waiter said OK, but returned to tell me
the manager will not let the dessert leave the premises.

So the manager came over to explain, I asked if I did not finish my meal could I take the rest home ,, Yes, if the dessert is deivered to my table, and I do not touch it , can I take it home, Yes,,
but I can not take it home by request without it being set in front of me, I offered to pay extra for the wrapping of the dessert, then was politely told that is not happening, and If I do not like her judgement to please not return to the restaurant… That was out and out not called for especially since my bill with 9 dollar drinks still came to 75 dollars for 2.

I hope that she owns the restaurant, or something, as this has now soured not only my wife and I, but the other teachers who used to go for dinner..

This should have been a movie , with Jack Nicholson asking for toast, they do not have toast, so he ordered a chicken sandwich on toast to go, hold the chicken. I can not take credit for that one, as it came from another teacher at school , when my wife related this story…

Sammys’ is a cute,deliteful restaurant, hold the manager.

escargot

Had the escargot once before with garlic in shell, changed to open with angel hair, not as good as wth garlic sauce.

Consistent Performer

We have been going to Sammy’s since it opened and never have been disappointed.
Whether it’s Veal Samantha (breaded , fried veal cutlet with a caprice salad on top), Osso Bucco, fish or whatever stew they make, the dishes come out hot, tasty and at the expected time. Service is performed by experienced, helpful waiters and the general comments from anyone who I’ve taken there is “A good meal.”

A meal for 2 with salads, mains and drinks runs around $100. This is an adult’s restaurant and is not kid friendly, thankfully. Once in a while we need a kid free space to unwind.

Make a reservation or prepare for a long wait on weekends.

Veal Samantha

Breaded veal cutlet w/ a chopped caprice salad on top. Delicious, filling, but light.

Not Friendly to Families with Children

Went to Sammys Downtown this afternoon to celebrate a nice Father’s Day lunch with my wife and young son. While the few other customers in the restaurant were very pleasant and wished us a nice Father’s Day celebration throughout our stay, the manager of the restaurant was not the least bit welcoming. Even though the restaurant was more than half-empty, we were not given a table in the main dining area. Instead, we were given a table near the exit and were told that “our son would feel more comfortable there”. Then, in the middle of our meal, the manager approached the table and asked us to take our son outside because he was not being quiet — while I will admit that my son was not completely silent, he was behaving like any normal child and was not being unreasonably noisy or disturbing to other customers. This is evidenced by the fact that none of the other customers complained about the supposed “noise”. The manager took it upon herself to ruin our family lunch experience with that unwelcoming intrusion, without being prompted by any of the other customers in the establishment. Not only was the experience unpleasant, it was also humiliating and unwelcoming. Our Father’s Day lunch celebration was ruined. We asked for the check and left earlier than we would have liked to. After that horrible experience, I can’t help but categorize this restaurant as: stuck-up, pretentious and unfriendly to families with children. So if you happen to be stuck-up and hate children, this is the place for you! Otherwise, I urge you to visit any of the other fine restaurants in the village of Bronxville before you consider subjecting yourself and your family to a very unpleasant experience. The food and ambiance, while not terrible, are not great either. Certainly not good enough to compensate for the horrible attitude and pretentious feel of the place.

Steak Frites

The steak was not terrible but not wonderful either. Just average. The french fries resembled those of a fast food restaurant. Not the right way to serve french fries on a $25 Steak Frite dish.

4.0

Nice place for Lunch or Dinner

Warm decor, attentive waitstaff. Lunch and dinner are reasonably priced for Bronxville. Have eaten here on several occassions (lunch and dinner) and have always had a good meal.

Sammy's Downtown Bistro is located near the cities of Tuckahoe, Mount Vernon, Wykagyl, Mt Vernon, and Pelham.
People found this by searching for: Sams Bronxville Specials, Sammy's Downtown In Bronxville, Sammys Bronxville, Sammy's Downtown Bronxville, Sammy's Bronxville, Sammy's Downtown Sunset Menu In Bronxville,Ny, and Sammy's Downtown Bistro Bronxville.

Wild Ginger