Call 1547 N Jackson St
Milwaukee, WI 53202-2001
Neighborhoods: Lower East Side

Cuisine: American, Continental, Eclectic

Sanford Restaurant is a American, Continental, and Eclectic restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid more than $50, and tipped more than 18%.

MKEDandy photo

MKEDandy

Excellent Presentation To Much Salt

I enjoyed the Summer Experience. Squash Blossom, appetizer, Yellow tomato gazpacho, Grilled Duck and Peach Tart.

The staff was excellent and helpful, encouraging my companions to experiment.

The flavor surprises show the chef’s knowledge of culinary chemistry.

Multiple flavors in each bite, High notes of peppers or tempura a summer of extravaganza!

My only real negative is the over use of salt in each preparation.

The worst was the gazpacho which was edible after the first few bites!

If the chef would take down the salt shake allot this is a true adventure.

Rivaling the creativity of any of the best restaurants in America or Europe

Duck Breast with Maple and Mascarpone Polenta, Grilled Fennel and Endive, Tart Cherry Reduction at Sanford Restaurant

See Above

eryngo photo

eryngo

Stunning

How can you go wrong with James Beard Award winner Best Chef: Midwest Sanford D’Amato (chef and owner), not to mention Best Chef: Midwest and Rising Star Chef of the Year nominee Justin Aprahamian? We were at the mercy of two of the Midwest’s finest chefs and we loved it! It’s a very rare restaurant indeed that can command the type of faith and trust from patrons to get them to walk in the door and simply say, “Feed me,” and have the mad skills to pull it off!

The Chef’s Tasting Menu has one restriction: it must be for the entire table. Well, I had absolutely no problem finding friends to join me on this venture… drop the word “Sanford” and everyone was on board! We were a spunky group and our server Joriah was a perfect match. Young, respectful, sincere, knowledgeable, professional and relaxed enough to get us all laughing. Add in (for lack of a better term) the sommelier/Wine Guy and this meal was not only satisfying but captivating and educational. I have a very open mind regarding food… not so much about wine but this was the absolute best wine pairing I have ever had, hands down. Proving that there are no hard and fast rules with wine (yes, you can pair a red wine with fish), this guy really knows his stuff!

For a wonderfully memorable experience, let Sanford take care of you!

Chilled Peach Soup with Mango Sorbet at Sanford Restaurant

Chilled Peach Soup with Mango Sorbet

Course 6: I have a very slight, trivial reaction to extremely fresh (raw) fruit… bake it in a pie and it won’t trigger. The fact that the mango sorbet tickled my allergy speaks to how fresh Sanford’s ingredients are… and this dish was delicious! On a side note: we were all asked ahead of time and I did not acknowledge any allergies.

Fresh Strawberry Tart with Vanilla Ice Cream at Sanford Restaurant

Fresh Strawberry Tart with Vanilla Ice Cream

Course 7: Paired with 2007 Vin de Glaciere-Riesling, Pacific Rim, Columbia Valley, WA.
Like I said, I have to admit my prejudices against some wines… ice wine (well, dessert wines in general) are one of them. I took a sip and thought, “Yep, don’t like it.” Enter the strawberry tart (with strawberries gathered at the farmer’s market that day). Everything about this tart was perfect… rich, sweet, creamy, light, crumbly… no soggy crust here! And somehow, the tart really mellowed out the wine and made that very palatable too. A perfect ending!

Amuse Bouche at Sanford Restaurant

Amuse Bouche

Not technically a course but impressive enough that I had to say something about it. Creamy and crisp and crunchy… a perfect two-bite awakening for the meal to come.

Seared Sea Scallop with Pickled Peach and Mustard Greens, Peach Vinaigrette at Sanford Restaurant

Seared Sea Scallop with Pickled Peach and Mustard Greens, Peach Vinaigrette

Course 1: Paired with 2009 Gewurtraminer, Banyan, California.
They must have known that scallops are one of my favorites. Perfectly done and combined with the earthy greens, acidic vinaigrette and subtly sweet peach, this was an intriguingly delicious example of how contrasting flavors and textures can be perfect together!

Provincial Fish Soup with Rouille at Sanford Restaurant

Provincial Fish Soup with Rouille

Course 2: Paired with 2009 Vouvray, Domaine Bourillon, Demi-Sec France.
I guess fish soup is not my thing but when you sit down to a Surprise Me seven-course meal, you accept the possibility that there may be a dish that you don’t absolutely love.

Grilled Wild Sturgeon with Spring Onion and Candied Olive, Romesco Sauce at Sanford Restaurant

Grilled Wild Sturgeon with Spring Onion and Candied Olive, Romesco Sauce

Course 3: Paired with 2009 Zinfandel, Seghesio, Sonoma.
While by itself the sturgeon was not my favorite dish, paired with the wine took it straight to the top. This was my favorite duo of the night. Exceptional!

Course 4: Paired with 2008 Nero D’Avola, Colosi Rosso, Sicily.
Thoroughly enjoyable but not as crispy as I would have preferred.

Chargrilled Elk Tenderloin with Pea Mash, Truffle Dressing at Sanford Restaurant

Chargrilled Elk Tenderloin with Pea Mash, Truffle Dressing

Course 5: Paired with 2008 Pinot Noir, Calera, Central Coast California
Wonderful, deep flavor… my first experience with elk!

LauriAnn photo

LauriAnn

A real treat

My friends and I went for the “chef selections” dinner which was a 7 course wonderment of delights. We did the wine pairing with the courses. Each course was superb! The presentation, the tastes, the explanation of each dish, the explanation of each paired wine. We basically had 5 small entrees and two desserts each paired with a small glass of wine. The dining expereince took about 3 hours and we were thoroughly delighted throghout the entire evening.
There was one point where my girlfriend said “i want to lick my plate”. So that she didn’t leave any of the wonderful sauce. Her husband said “please just use to your bread”. We all concurred, it was just that good!
The restaurant is very pretty and intimate – it’s the food & wine that really stand out. Oh, and the service! Exemplary!

Chef's Selection w.wine pairing

Like I stated earlier, this was a 7 course dinner with wine pairing. The chef selects each course and then pairs a wine to bring out the flavors of each dish. For a foodie, this was truly heaven!

American Continental Eclectic

Sanford Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

People found this by searching for: Sanford Milwaukee, 5 Star Restaurant In Milwaukee Sancord, Sanford's Milwaukee, Sanford's Restaurant Milwaukee, Sanford Restaurant Milwaukee, Sanfords Milwaukee, Sanfords Other Rest In Milwaukee, Sanford Restaurant, and Sanford's May Menu In Mulwaukee.