Call 332 N Milwaukee St
Milwaukee, WI 53202
Neighborhoods: Historic Third Ward

Cuisine: BBQ, Gluten Free, Burgers

Smoke Shack is a BBQ, Gluten Free, and Burgers restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.

Pros
"Everything is amazing"
Cons
"No cons"
cinnamongirl photo

cinnamongirl

For the love of BBQ

A group of 7 of us went to the smoke shack on a Friday night. After our entire party arrived, we were seated immediately. It’s a cozy shack, with seating for about 50 people or so. I liked the feel of the place. We placed our orders and were told that the ribs were just coming out of the smokers so we were just in time. I ordered the 2 meat combo meal, and my choice was the pulled pork and the brisket. You also could pick a side, so I ordered the mac & cheese. The meat came out with no sauce, however, at the table there were bottles of sauce for you to add to your liking. The sauce options that they had were Kansas City, Texas BBQ, House BBQ, Carolina Gold and a Habanero sauce. I really liked that they did this, as sometimes there tends to be too much sauce. I really liked the House sauce, and the Carolina sauce, which was more of a mustard based sauce, and was also really good. I was able to sample the pulled chicken, and the Berkshire sausage. The sausage was really good. It had a great flavor and a bit of a kick to it. I also tried the greens which I wish I had gotten instead of the mac and cheese. Not that the mac and cheese was bad, I just liked the greens better. I didn’t think there was anything really special about the pulled chicken or pork, but I really loved the brisket. I split a bacon bourbon brownie for desert, but it wasn’t something I’d have to rush out and have again. Seemed a bit dry, and really not what I was expecting. Overall, I loved the look and feel of the place, service was great, and I would go back again.

Tigercobra photo

Tigercobra

Mequon, WI
Smoke Shack 4.0

Good barbecue, good service, good times.

This was a place I was always curious to try. I finally got the chance this evening with my girlfriend and her family. It is a small place in the 3rd Ward and when they say “shack” they mean that. It is meant to look that way, like an old time smoke house which gives the establishment a nice feel. The service was prompt and we were seated immediately even though we had seven in our party. We ordered our drinks and they came even before we could decide on dinner. For dinner I ordered the two meat combo and selected the Pulled Chicken and the Berkshire Sausage with a side of Sweet and Spicy beans. The food came quicker than expected which was nice. I thought the chicken had no special flavor to it and I did not like the beans at all so I dressed them up with there house sauce. They have three sauces at every table, Texas, Carolina, Kansas City and there house blend. My favorite was the house and the Carolina which is a mustard and vinegar blend. Very tangy. The Berkshire Sausage was amazing! Great flavor and spice! Loved it! My girlfriend and I shared the brownie dessert and I could have pasted on it. Nothing special. I would definately go back though for more of the sausages!

Pavlovshuman photo

Pavlovshuman

Smoke Shack 5.0

Smoke Shack Rocks!

Smoke Shack is a great place for a quick lunch with friends. We were seated immediately, had great service and really enjoyed the ambiance of this cozy spot in the Third Ward. Our group of six had the Lunch Special (except me) for Milwaukee Downtown Dining Week. Portions were ample and the food arrived quickly. Way to go, Smoke Shack!

Pulled Chicken Sandwich

The Pulled Chicken Sandwich was excellent. Our group tried a number of the sauces from House to California Gold; each made the sandwich taste a bit different. The sweet potato fries were a huge hit in my book.

Live2Explore photo

Live2Explore

Smoke Shack 5.0

Barbecue even for a vegetarian - this place rocks!

Intimate (cozy) gem in Milwaukee’s 3rd Ward. Used to be a crazy dive bar hold out from when 3rd ward was all blue collar workers. Times have changed and the place got reinvented.

Now it is a custom themed restaurant with a southern rustic early 1900s mineshaft feel designed by Flux Design. Really feels like you have stepped into a different world.

Cozy joint with booths, bar, and communal tables (take the communal tables – they are fun!)

The story is the wife of the owner is vegetarian, so there are definitely vegetarian options on the menue and the meat is Certified humanely raised. All the meats are “dry rubbed, slow smoked and sauced by you.”

Don’t miss slaw – simple red cabbage slaw with a hint of smokey.

Whether or not you are vegetarian or vegan, the BBQ Seitan Sammich is killer awesome and inspiring.

BBQ Seitan Sammich

Oh Momma!! That’s some damn good BBQ! I’d forgotten what good BBQ was like. And you’re telling me that there is no meat in that sammich? get off, really?

Truly a work of genius. When they cook the seitan with the house BBQ sauce all the spice flavors come front and center. Ooooeee that’s some spicy sauce (not too hot but does have a kick). And you know what cools it down and adds a special peppery note to it all is a topping of arugula. Who puts arugula on BBQ – they do! And now, I do! AMAZING.

YOU HAVE GOT TO TRY THIS

eryngo photo

eryngo

Smoke Shack 4.0

Be sure to try all of the apps and save room for dessert!

Located right next to Coquette, I was advised that this place was “small” but that word doesn’t quite describe it. I knew the address so I just parked and then stood on the sidewalk staring until I figured it might actually be inside the building that houses The Cupcake Company, Speedy Print and Coquette. Wrong. As I was crossing the street, I noticed this tiny shack cowering in the shadows between two hulking commercial buildings. I thought, “No way… that’s not even the size of a two-car garage.” Well… welcome to the Smoke Shack!

Candied Bacon at Smoke Shack

Candied Bacon

Very creative… the components are good (bacon and sweet potato fries) but it has room for improvement. My complaint I guess is with the ratio and portion size. Maybe less fries, more bacon?

Texas Popper at Smoke Shack

Texas Popper

Unexpected and surprising… I will definitely get these again!

Kansas City Eggrolls at Smoke Shack

Kansas City Eggrolls

I’m going to stop by and just make these my dinner. Excellent!

Gooey Bacon Bourbon Brownies at Smoke Shack

Gooey Bacon Bourbon Brownies

Ugh. But in this poor brownie’s defense, the manager tried it after we complained and did say it was definitely off. Hands down their best selling dessert, he gave us coupons to come back and try it again.

Bourbon Praline Cake at Smoke Shack

Bourbon Praline Cake

Must have… and pay the extra $1 for a scoop of their Whiskey Ice Cream.

Baby Back Ribs

Dry rubbed with choice of 5 sauces on the table. Not impressed.

Doug

from GrubHub
Smoke Shack 3.0
August 17, 2013

Ordered the pulled pork sammich and was disappointed to find big chunky dry pieces of meat.

BBQ Gluten Free Good For Kids

Smoke Shack  Restaurant Reviews

• 02/20/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 03/08/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it.
  • 03/10/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 4 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 04/22/2015 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
    Pros: 'Everything is amazing'
    Cons: 'No cons'
People found this by searching for: Smoke Shack In Milwaukee, Smoke Shack Third Ward Milwaukee Menu, Smoke Shack Milwaukee Third Ward, The Smoke Shack Milwaukee Wi, Smoke Shack Menu, Smoke Shack, The Smoke Shack Milwaukee, Smoke Shack Milwaukee, and Smoke Shack Milwaukee Menu.