901-725-0722

862 S Cooper St ( )

Memphis, TN 38104

Neighborhoods: Cooper Young Community Association

Description: Soul Fish Cafe is a Seafood, American, and Vegetarian restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped more than 18%.
Tags: Seafood, Takeout, Good For Kids, American, Kid Friendly, Vegetarian, Cheap Eats, Midtown, Delivery, and Soul Food
  • 4 dishes entered by diners at Soul Fish Cafe
  • 1 user wants to eat at Soul Fish Cafe

Reviews for Soul Fish Cafe

Editorial Review by Gayot »

Mmmmm!!!

Soul Fish is amazing. The food is delicious and inexpensive. The service is fast and friendly. I would recommend this restaurant to anyone. There are options for vegetarians and a kid’s menu. My favorite is the Cuban sandwich. I’m looking forward to trying the Memphis. The catfish is fantastic. I don’t think there’s anything over $10 except for the large catfish basket which is around $11.

Add/Show Comments (1)

Oh, YUMMMMY!!!

This place isn’t much to look at, but the food is AWESOME! The waitstaff is, too. Their catfish basket is always fresh and hot, their sides are wunderbuss, and it’s one of my favorite places in Memphis. Service is prompt and friendly. Warning: if you go at prime time lunchtime, there’ll be a line out the door, but it moves quickly. Parking is a problem, so be prepared to walk a fair distance. It is totally worth it!!

3 piece catfish basket

Piping hot, crispy fish with cole slaw and fries … but it’s no problem subbing any other sides for them. Their hushpuppies are very good. Couple of kinds of hot sauce on the table for the fish, and it comes with homemade tartar sauce. This is hands down the best place to get catfish in town!

Yum!

We visited from Arkansas and loved it. My husband and I got the crawfish po’boys and fried pickles with sides of french fries and black eyed peas. Delicious! My husband thought the fried pickles were better than one of our favorite places back home and we both thought the black eyed peas were some of the best we had ever tasted. The roll that the sandwich came on was good bread. The portions were huge! We could have shared a sandwich. We both wished we were closer to home so we could have boxed up the leftovers. And the prices were more than reasonable.

Crawfish Po'boy

Is it Just Me?

I placed an order around an hour ago tonight. I live approximately 6 minutes away from this restaurant and went home immediately once I received my order. The talapia was luke warm and the mac and cheese was cold-the cornbread muffin was even colder. I was starving, and did not feel like turning around. I managed to eat the talapia, but did not eat the mac and cheese or muffin. I called and asked for the manager or supervisor, and I told her the above information. Her response was “I checked it myself and it was hot”. She went on to say it was fine and told me that they only pop the muffin in the microwave for 10 seconds, so that’s the reason why it was probably cold. She the proceeded to say that there was nothing wrong with my order after I insisted it was cold. No apology was offered;she was very dismissive with me and stated that she remembered me and my order and again, it was fine. Needless to say, this will be my last visit to the Soul Fish Cafe. I have eaten there a few times before without any problems, and I usually let things go, but when I take out the time to let you know that I have a problem with your product or service and you will not even mustard up an apology, I have a huge problem with that. Is it just me?

Tilapia

ColdCold! What more can I say?

Fantastic

We were just at the Rendevous trying to gnaw through their shoe leather ribs when we gave up and left. I wanted catfish anyway. I had always wanted to go here and this was the perfect chance, lines or not, the Rendevous really turned me off. I needed whole fried catfish like never before since we left Illinois and moved to Memphis. This is the only restaurant that serves whole fried catfish on the bone that I have found in all of West Tennessee. They do serve fillets, but I was here for one thing. We sat at the bar, which was fun and you always get better face to face service. The meal was excellent and the fries were great and you get to choose from several sides if you want. I got the mac and cheese. Good. The manager was cool and talked to us even though his restaurant was full and there was a small line out the door. The fact that he took the time to say hello and see how we were doing speaks volumes in my book. I heard of this restaurant from a Commander in the Navy I work with. He loves the place and so do I. I understand they have two locations? If so we went to the one in Midtown. I highly recommend this place if you love catfish. The only small complaint I have is that their tartar sauce is Cisco mayo based which is Hellman’s mayo anyway. I find it bitter and prefer my tartar sauce made from Miracle Whip. We will be repeat customers and I made sure the waitress and manager knew that.

Whole Fried Catfish

Excellent. I consider myself an expert on how catfish should be cooked and there are several ways but I prefer whole fried on the bone. I do not like steaks, too many loose bones to fight with. They do not serve steaks but do serve fillets and whole fried. Excellent sides too.

September 9, 2010

Good Food

Their food portions are huge. Their seafood is amazing, especially their fried catfish. But it's a crowded place, so seating is limited. And sometimes the wait at the door might take a while, but it is definitely worth it.

People found this by searching for: Soul Fish Cafe, Soul Fish Memphis Menu, Soul Fish Memphis, Soulfish Memphis, Soul Fish Cafe Memphis Tn, Soul Food Catfish Memphis, Soulfish Cafe, and Cooper Young Restaurants Memphis Soul Fish Cafe.

Nearby Restaurants

Tsunami
American in Midtown
Dish
Japanese in Midtown

Link to Soul Fish Cafe

Soul Fish Cafe  Restaurant Reviews

Overall:  100%  Food:  100%  Service:  100%  Ambiance:  100%