Spago Beverly Hills

Neighborhoods: Beverly Hills
Cuisine: American, Fine Dining, Californian

Spago Beverly Hills is a American, Fine Dining, and Californian restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends and paid more than $50.

mh2mh photo

Spago, please update your restroom

The return to Spago. I’ve been to this current Spago a couple of times before, and to the original location on Sunset once. This visit was to try the tasting menu, as I’ve ordered a la carte the previous times. Their 5-course tm w/ wine pairings is $20 more than the same at Providence, so I figure this better be damn good. But everything about Providence is better.

The bar. It was like Cheers—only, an expensive version. Everyone knew everyone. I happened to sit next to a bunch of men who are in the liquor sales biz, all drinking on the company dime. Very friendly guys. The list of cocktails had no prices. Hmmm. I ordered the cucumber lime caipirinhas, made with cachaca. The first few sips were good, then it started tasting like the after-taste of vomit. It cost me $16, that’s $19 with tip.

Dinner—the Excuse Me?? part. There was no printed menu for the tm, so you have no idea what it is and can’t read the ingredients, and can’t peruse the wine selections for the pairings. I’m sure the chef knew that morning what he’ll be serving for the tm that evening, and probably the week. Too much trouble to print it up?
Apparently no one communicated to our server our various food preferences. I wonder how they handle serious food allergies. Our server tells us very basically what the courses are, including fish, pasta, and beef. I don’t eat beef and had told Spago twice prior to arrival. There’s a conference with the chef in the kitchen. The word now is if I want to substitute something else, the entire table has to do it. There are only three of us. And anyway, that’s ridiculous. I should be able to sub out the beef, while everyone else should be able to keep the beef. We were not pleased. Our server talked to the manager, and the manager righted this wrong. Two beef, one duck.

Dinner—the good part. They decided it was in their better interest to please us instead of displeasing us, and went about so, very graciously. Four amuses: tuna tartare in some sort of sesame cone; tiny bacon en croute; lump crab meat and caviar on blini; a palate cleanser of tomato sorbet and poured tomato water.
First course: heirloom tomato with 50-yr aged balsamic. Second course: fish (yikes can’t remember what fish), with Indian flavors. Third course: pasta filled with corn puree. Fourth course: the duck (forgot to take a pic and already can’t quite remember). Dessert: I believe it was a sort of mascarpone soufle-ish, with strawberry ice cream. What I remember most about the dessert and possibly the entire meal are the strawberries. I think they are a type of wild strawberries, they are tiny, part white and part red, and some of the most beautiful, perfumey strawberries I’ve ever had. Thank you, Sherry Yard!!
The wine pairings. Nice, but all just taken from their list of wines by the glass, and at least two of them are two of the lowest priced ones. But we did end with a nice burgundy. The pours were generous. Also, they served a glass of champagne (Billecart-Salmon) with the amuses.

The food was outstanding, all the ingredients top notch, well executed. Our server was great, very friendly, helpful, and knew what to do.

With so much dining competition in L.A., plus at this price level, Spago needs to get it right, up front, not after the customer is already made unhappy.

ca_ccarr photo

Northridge, CA

Loved it!

I hadn’t been to Spago for many years since they were in their old location on Sunset. They’ve been in this one in Beverly Hills for about 12 years and it’s a very nice space. We were fortunate to sit outside and enjoy the fine weather, fountains and twinkly lights. The space inside didn’t look nearly as inviting so I was pleased from the get-go.

3 friends and I came during dineLA week which allows peons like me to enjoy find dining without selling my first born. First course was an amazing (really!) cream soup with apple, bacon and a bit of lobster. Keep that comin’! One of my friends ordered the overpriced steak tartare but it did have an incredible flavor.

Main course was a braised beef which was a large portion, well cooked and wonderful flavor. Another friend has salmon with a mushroom emulsion. Interesting

Desserts were a fabulous looking chocolate dish I didn’t taste and an apple tart. OK. BUT Wolfgang was ‘in the house’ so he was kind enough to take a picture with us. A highlight to be sure.

KelliSwett photo

it is really cute inside, big restaurant, any beef is ama...

it is really cute inside, big restaurant, any beef is amazing!

American Southgate Fine Dining

New York, NY

Burbank, CA

0 useful

Spago Beverly Hills  Restaurant Reviews

• 06/08/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it and liked it.
  • 07/05/2015 - A diner from Beverly Hills, CA tried it.
Spago Beverly Hills is located near the cities of London, Century City, Beverly Hills Ca, Mound, and Little Ethiopia.
People found this by searching for: Spago Menu Prices Beverly Hills, How Much Is A Spago Pizza, Spago Beverly Hills, How Much Does It Cost To Eat At Spago?, How Much To Eat At Spago, Spago Beverly Hills Menu Prices, What's A Spago Pizza? And How Much?, Spago Beverly Hills Prices, and What Does An Evening At Spago Restaurant Cost For 2 People.