Stables Steak House

939 Poplar Street
Terre Haute, IN 47807

Cuisine: Steak, American, Seafood

Stables Steak House is a Steak, American, and Seafood restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid between $25 and $50, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

Pros
"The food was excellent. And the waiter was awesome!"
kr777 photo

kr777

Indianapolis, IN
Stables Steak House 2.0

Not What I was hoping for

The restaurant is in a historical building that frankly looks crappy outside but inside it is very nice. Rich woods, wonderful cozy private dining nooks, fireplaces – this place has a great feel. Unfortunately, that is probably why I was disappointed. After entering, there were 4 of us, at about 6:30pm (early for our usual dining but a visiting relative was ready to eat and they were open at 5pm. Anyway, we practically had to beg someone to seat us and there really were no custumers at that time. After employees walked past I went to the bartender to ask about a table. Finally seated things started to improve. All entrees come with bread, a lovely dip and sweet butter, choice of salad and choice of vegetable. This restaurant could be so good but it ends up being so disappointing – now I’m afraid to take anyone there. The prices charged definitely demands an upgrade in food, first and foremost and then in general attitude. Once you finally get a server (ours was good and almost appallingly honest) and things improve but the food does not follow thru. Frankly I wish that we had left when we were ignored and gone somewhere- almost anywhere – else.

New York Strip

The relative ordered this. Had it Medium well and while I think medium is the best this was so overcooked – it was appallingly dry and embarassingly tough. He asked for au jus and really you would have needed a bowl for it to soak in to revive it. Not sure if it was his order or their version but I don’t think you should order it that way. The wedge salad was fine and the potato, while large had a very noticeable ‘bad spot’ and should never have been served.

Filet Mignon 7 oz

I ordered it medium and it was served medium. I wanted a Bernaise and was told that it was not recommended because it really wasn’t anything but a powdered, premix. Ordered it anyway and it was as advertised but at least it gave the underseasoned steak some flavor. Caesar was ok and garlic smashed were fine but not outstanding

Ribeye 15 oz

Order 2 of these both med-well and they arrived that way. Steaks were also underseasoned but with au jus and steak sauce they were ok. Caesar was ok and the house salad with house dressing was also ok. The creamed spinach that my son ordered was no good and he likes spinach (at least seasoned and flavorful spinach) the other side was lyonnaise potatoes and the side that appeared was not like any version seen or eaten before. Nothing horrible – just not Lyonnaise.

bluman53 photo

bluman53

Paris, IL
Stables Steak House 5.0

Well Pleased

My wife and I celebrated her birthday at Stables. It was our first time there and we found the place to be a very cozy and intimate place. It was a Monday evening about 7 p.m. local time. We found the wait staff to be eager to please, polite and attentive to our dining pleasure.
I enjoyed the large lobster tail while my wife chose the rib eye steak. Both were cooked to perfection and served in a timely manner. The French onion soup may have been the best I have ever tasted, and the creme brule was just device

Ribeye 15 oz

See the above review. Everything was first rate, some of the best food I have ever tasted.

Steak American Seafood

From OpenTable:

Terre Haute Brewing Company erected our beautiful Victorian Stables building in 1890. The building actually housed Clydesdale, Belgian and various other draft horses that delivered beer for the brewery. For private groups, the rear two-thirds of the upper level is our grand banquet hall. The room seats groups from 30-125. lavish buffet or sit down meals for business dinners and programs, family gatherings, weeding receptions, rehearsal dinners, and holiday parties. At Stables Steakhouse we want you to sit back and relax. Take in the surroundings and enjoy the finer things in life...a big steak, a great bottle of wine, and warm hospitality!

Owner? Claim The Menu

Stables Steak House  Restaurant Reviews

• 04/14/2013 - A diner from Marietta, OH tried it and liked it.
  • 03/12/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 5 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
    Pros: 'The food was excellent. And the waiter was awesome!'
Stables Steak House is located near the cities of West Terre Haute and St Mary Of The Woods.
People found this by searching for: Stables Restaurant Terre Haute, Stables Terre Haute, Stables Terre Haute Prices, Stables Steakhouse Menu, Stables Steakhouse Terre Haute, Stables Restaurant In Terre Haute, In Menu, and Stables Restaurant Terre Haute Recipes.