Tajima Japanese Restaurant

4681 Convoy St
San Diego, CA 92111-2330

Neighborhoods: Kearny Mesa
Cuisine: Ramen, Japanese, Pan Asian

Tajima Japanese Restaurant is a Ramen, Japanese, and Pan Asian restaurant where most Menuism users came for fun with friends, paid between $10 and $25, and tipped between 15% to 18%.

shaomai photo

shaomai

San Jose, CA

Craving Tajima tataki!

If there’s one thing I’m sad about from discovering Tajima, it’s that I lived in San Diego for 4 years and never knew about it until now. Tajima is a tiny tiny little restaurant, tucked way in the back of a small plaza off San Diego’s Asian Avenue, Convoy St.

Tajima has a fairly extensive menu, with a couple of pages worth of appetizers, ramen selections, Japanese pancakes (okonomiyaki), specials of the day, hamburg platters, and varieties of udon and soba noodle soups. I felt like the menu was full of very authentic Japanese foods that you really don’t see at most Japanese restaurants. There were so many things I was dying to try there, but the Japanese pancakes sounded the most intriguing. You know something is different about the restaurant when their special of the day was the Beef Teriyaki.

Since I was only able to go once, I’ll have to try all the other menus some other time, but we ordered the beef tataki, tuna tataki, mix Japanese pancake (a savory eggy omelette with pork, beef, and seafood), and a chasu ramen. The beef tataki was sooooo yummy… i’ve actually never had it before because I never really thought i’d be a fan of beef sashimi, but it was so good! The very rare, thin slices of beef were so tender, and were absolutely soaked through with the ponzu sauce. it was topped with a little bit of daikon, which also was soaked through with ponzu. wow, it was sooo good… we ended up ordering 2! I was also a big fan of the ramen – of all the japanese ramen houses i’ve been to, I think this is my favorite. The broth was exactly the way i like it, a little sweet, not too salty, and not too weirdly seasoned… just nice and simple.

There are a couple of things that I think are really nice about this place. One is that they’re open really late – i think until about 2 or 3 am! The other is that the ramen bowls come in different sizes. If you get the small bowl, it’s $2 cheaper than the quoted price, so i think it’s something like $5. Perfect for me, b/c I rarely finish a bowl of ramen on my own!

There are two complaints I have about this place though. One, though the waitresses are really really nice, servicve was pretty slow. The other, is that parking really sucks at this place — there aren’t a lot of spaces and they are very close together and not very clearly marked. It’s a parking lot that invites accidents.

Overall, I pretty much love this place — would go like once a week if i lived closer!

Beef tataki appetizer

This dish converted me to become a beef tataki lover. I’m going to try this everywhere now!

Tuna tataki appetizer

Good, but nothing special.

Okonomiyaki (mix)

A japanese savory pancake with seafood, pork, and beef — could have been great, but i think it just needed more flavor.

Chasu ramen

Love the broth, love the consistency of the noodles. The chasu was just a tad fatty for me… but this still is probably my most favorite ramen yet.

Tajima Japanese Restaurant 4.0

Love the ramen here, try the thick cut noodles...

Love the ramen here, try the thick cut noodles with any soup and fixings. Open very late, perfect for a midnight snack and if you crave traditional ramen.

Tajima Japanese Restaurant 5.0

I eat there about once a week. Love the ramen...

I eat there about once a week. Love the ramen and everything else, if it looks kind of weird, try it, you’ll probably like it.

Tajima Japanese Restaurant 5.0

Good price for Excellent quality. Serve traditional japan...

Good price for Excellent quality. Serve traditional japanese food but also chef specially designed food such as kimchi pork fried rice. Hardly find any other japanese restaurant in USA with the same menu as this!

Tajima Japanese Restaurant 4.0

Although the store is so small, the atmosphere is so good...

Although the store is so small, the atmosphere is so good. Price is reasonable and taste good.
I recommanded people to order Okonomiyaki [Japanese style savory pancakes. Served with aonori (green seaweed powder), katsuobushi (dried fish shavings), okonomiyaki sauce and mayonnaise]

cawo photo

cawo

La Jolla, CA
Tajima Japanese Restaurant 5.0

Authentic Japanese food, something that's hard to find in...

Authentic Japanese food, something that’s hard to find in San Diego where fusion sushi places are the norm. There’s actually no sushi on the menu at all (at least from my knowledge), but there’ plenty more on the menu to make up for it. It’s known mostly for its ramen, which I must say is quite good indeed. They even have okonomiyaki!

turtley photo

turtley

Irvine, CA

Okonomiyaki!

Tajima’s is always a solid option if you feel like eating on convoy. Theres ramen, rice bowls, and… okonomiyaki! I haven’t found any other places with okonomiyaki, so I was quite pleased when I first found out about it. The food isn’t overpriced, and the restaurant is open late (always a plus for students).

Seafood Okonomiyaki

Flavor and texture was good, but could have used a bit more flair (hit the spot anyways). Wasn’t full afterwards, but thats a good thing (for my health at least :D )

Ramen Japanese San Diego

Tajima Japanese Restaurant  Restaurant Reviews

• 10/12/2013 - A diner from San Diego, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 4 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 11/04/2013 - A diner from Chula Vista, CA tried it.
  • 01/29/2014 - A diner from San Francisco, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 3 stars. They liked the food, didn't like the service, and liked the ambiance.
  • 07/05/2014 - A diner from Mountain View, CA tried it, liked it, and rated it 4 stars. They liked the food, liked the service, and didn't like the ambiance.
Tajima Japanese Restaurant is located near the cities of Hillcrest, Coronado, and Old Town San Diego.
People found this by searching for: Tajima Japanese Restaurant, Ramen Soup Places In Convoy, Tajima San Diego, Tajima Convoy Street, Okonomiyaki San Diego, Japanese Restaurant San Diego Convoy, Soba Noodle Soup On Convoy, and Japanese Restaurant San Diego Ca.