916-447-5353

3262 J St ( )

Sacramento, CA 95816-4405

Neighborhoods: East Sacramento

Description: Thai Palace is a Thai and Asian restaurant where most Menuism users came for a family meal, paid less than $10, and tipped less than 15%.
Tags: Thai, Asian, Delivery, Good For Kids, Takeout, and Good for groups
  • 178 dishes entered by diners at Thai Palace

Reviews for Thai Palace

Thai Palace

A palace that treats customers like peasants

A lot of people talk about how great this place is and how they have the best Thai food in Sacramento. Not true, especially when they can’t even get orders straight! I’ve been there a good amount of times. The first time I was there, I was amazed at their rapid service. It honestly made me wonder if they had cooked the food for some time, froze it, microwaved/re-fried the food and served it to their customers. Thai food isn’t something that you can make within three minutes! (That was when I and someone I was with had ordered fish cakes. Fish cakes at your table within three minutes? I like receiving food fast, but when it’s faster than fast food service, that’s a bad sign.)

The last time I was there, I was very disappointed with the owner (I assume that she is the owner, since her picture is on the restaurant’s website. Her hairstyle is a short bob.) and some male server I had seen for the first time. I ordered “Tom Yum Koong (vegetarian)”, but got “Tom Kha Ghai” (chicken curried soup) instead. The person I was with wanted me to chow it down despite the fact that I’m not so fond of curry. Why? It was because she was afraid that the cook would do something fishy to our other orders had I addressed the problem. But how can you not notify the server/owner of the problem when they made a mistake to a customer?

And that’s what I did. I told them their mistake and from the way they were acting, I could tell that they couldn’t accept the truth. Either that or they thought that I didn’t know what I was talking about. (I found this to be pretty bothersome simply because I don’t like it when restaurants assume that their customers have no/little knowledge about what it is that they ordered. It upsets me that these type of restaurants think that they can get away with feeding customers whatever they feel like cooking, even if it’s not what the customer had ordered! If you don’t have something available on the menu, be fair to your customer by telling your customer the situation and asking them to order something else. In general, customers will appreciate this way more than receiving a wrong order.)

They took the “Tom Kha Ghai” back and brought me what I had ordered later. But prior to bringing out the correct order, I, as well as the person I was with noticed many strange things. The person I was with noticed that the cook had come out of the kitchen to get a glance of us. She also noticed that the cook (female) had given us negative looks. When the food arrived, I was even more disappointed. The “Tom Yum Koong (vegetarian)” was not good! No taste whatsoever. I paid for it, but ended up not eating it. (I’ve eaten their “Tom Yum Koong (vegetarian)” before, so I knew in advance what it should have tasted like. And like I said, it was a big disappointment!)

What was even worse than getting the wrong order and tasteless “Tom Yum Koong (vegetarian)” was the fact that no one (yes, not even the owner!) apologized. That was so rude!

And at the end of the meal, right after we had paid, both the server and the owner came to our table to take the money. I felt as if they wanted to make sure that we actually paid. I also felt as if they believed that I was wrong and that I told them their mistake simply because I wanted to eat for free (or something along those lines). Very absurd and rude considering the fact that I wasn’t some shady new customer, since I had eaten there a good amount of times before.

Prior to leaving their restaurant, I caught the owner giving me a nasty smirk. I don’t know if she knows I saw it, but I was so close to making a comment on her smirk, as well as her restaurant’s poor customer service. If I could go back in time, I would have told her that she and her server needs to learn to accept their mistakes, instead of acting like it’s the customer’s fault and that they need to treat their customers better.

I honestly don’t recommend anyone to go to Thai Palace unless they’re starving and it’s the only restaurant open.

In regards to the restaurant itself, it is nicely decorated. The restaurant even has their own parking lot. (It’s a small parking lot, though.) I suppose it’d be possible for me to give this restaurant an additional star for its decor and parking lot, however since I value customer service more than anything else, I will have to leave this review with only 1 star.

Tom Yum

The first time I had this dish it was around a four star rating. However, the last time I had this dish, it was probably a rating of 0 or 1 star. Why? Well, it’s because I received “Tom Kha Ghai” (chicken curried soup) instead of Tom Yum Koong (Vegetarian). To make matters worse, when I addressed the situation, I wasn’t treated very nicely (refer to my review). When I received the correct order (Tom Yum Koong), the dish was tasteless. It was very bland. According to their menu, Tom Yum Koong (Vegetarian) is “vegetarian hot and sour soup with lemon grass, mushroom and lime juice”. What I received was “chicken soup with cococut milk, lemon grass, galanga and lime juice”, which is VERY different from tom yum koong (vegetarian). I’m still upset that the restaurant was careless enough to assume that customers wouldn’t know the difference between the two.

Tod Mun Pla

This dish is a fast food version of tod mun. Three minutes (literally) after ordering tod mun, it arrived to the table. It honestly made me wonder how early the dish had been cooked. Till this day, I wonder if they had microwaved the fish cakes in order to get it to the table so fast. According to their menu, tod mun is “ground fish mixed with chili paste paste deep-fried and served with cucumber salad”.

Add/Show Comments (1)

4.0

Much better than I remember it from a couple years ago. ...

Much better than I remember it from a couple years ago. I remember it as mediocre like most of the Thai food I’ve had recently. But the pad thai had good flavor and the yellow curry was great with, get this, cucumbers! I hereby declare that all curry should have sliced cucumbers. I really hope it was on purpose and someone didn’t accidentally slice up a cucumber instead of a zucchini.

4.0

Family style Thai restaurant in Sacramento

If you want to enjoy a nice family style Thai restaurant then you should go to Thai Palace. I have been going to Thai Palace for many year when I worked in mid town Sacramento and now I am working in Folsom but I’m still going to Thai palace for lunch and diner with my family. I enjoy the special dish Grilled Pork with Apple salad, the pork is tender and the apple is just right, my family loved the dish. Yeah, the Pad thai, Panang chicken and Grilled shrimp salad (Pha Kung) appetizer. The price is right, cheap and wonderful food and service is very friendly just like eating at mom, that why I’m coming back for more when I’m in Sacramento, Ca.

Add/Show Comments (2)

Best Thai food in SACRAMENTO

MGPINKSIH and the persons that wrote reviews about the TOM-YUM and Tod Mun are more than likely referring to a different restaurant. I feel the total opposite. All the dishes referenced in your review are mine favorites and I order them all the time and I found them very deliciously good.

I llive in Folsom and I travel about 30 mins to mid town to eat at the Thai Palace. That’s how good this place is. I eat at TP quite often and I never had a disk I did not like. The Pad Thai and spring rolls are great! Both Iced Coffee and Thai Iced Tea are good. The service is not perfect (nobody is perfect) but very good. The friendly owner, a good looking man is around in the dinning room all the time and has good knowledge about a wide verities of food is more than ready to chat with anybody about good food. The price is the lowest in Sac definite the place to take your family and friends for lunch dinner.

26. Pad Thai Noodle

August 3, 2010

Best pad Thai and Curry, but at a cost

was the best thai experience hands down, serving took a while but only 10 minutes longer then expected, otherwise as good as the ones in sac

Thai Palace is located near the cities of Arden Arcade and Mc Clellan.
People found this by searching for: Thai Palace Sacramento Menu, Thai Palace J Street Sacramento, Thai Palace Resturant On J Street Sacramento, Ca., Owner Of Thai Palace On Monrovia, Thai J Street, Thai Food Buffet Sacramento J Street, Thai Palace Menu Sacramento, Thai Palace Sacramento, and Thai Palace Sacramento Ca.

Featured in Sacramento